Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throw the Ez-Tag transponder in the glove box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went into the Houston EZ-Tag store to get a tag to put on the windshield next to the rear view mirror and the lady at the counter insisted that I take the larger 'plate' transponder and put it in my glovebox.

EZ-Tag.jpg

Anyone else in the Houston area doing this and does it work? I don't really want to place on the license plate, but have no problem with a glovebox location.

Thoughts?

just be aware that every one of these toll collection units and systems can work differently.
here in FLA as long as the car is registered with the tag account the photo system should work. The EZ PASS system in the north east does not work this way.

In florida we don't have front plates, but they sent me a tag like that for my Model S. If you have a pre-facelift car you can take the nose cone off and just zip tie it to the metal bracket behind the nose cone. That's what I did with mine and what the previous owner did with his.

I went into the Houston EZ-Tag store to get a tag to put on the windshield next to the rear view mirror and the lady at the counter insisted that I take the larger 'plate' transponder and put it in my glovebox.

View attachment 225058

Anyone else in the Houston area doing this and does it work? I don't really want to place on the license plate, but have no problem with a glovebox location.

Thoughts?

When I registered by MS with the toll road authority they tried to give me one of those transponders but I declined. I use the normal tag just to the right of the rear view mirror mount and it seems to work fine.

View attachment 225058

Thoughts?
So are they saying this transponder actually WORKS in the glove box? That's what t sounds like -- why would they give you a plate transponder if they are just relying on plate recognition like others here seem to be assuming? The regular one would fit in the glove box better...

The EzTag store locations all have a tester in their parking lot. I think I'd test it before I just threw it in the glove box and forgot about it. I know there are some places (Not HCTRA) that charge more for plate reads than eztag reads. Also with the way the windshields are on Teslas I would bet it blocks transponders in the glove box. I know placement on a MS is sensitive. Mine is in the upper cornet on the passenger side.

Wish I had known that.. what does the tester look like?

As I have temp plates, I'll test tomorrow when I drive down a tag only road
I'll look online to see if the transponder is picked up. ;)

There is a reader on pole at the one on the southeast BW8 location but I think they all have them. It's just a lane you drive down and the light lets you know it worked.

Wish I had known that.. what does the tester look like?

As I have temp plates, I'll test tomorrow when I drive down a tag only road
I'll look online to see if the transponder is picked up. ;)

There's always one in the parking lot somewhere. Ask one of the employees if you don't see signs. I tested a couple of different windshield locations on my MS before I left.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
In CA the law specifically says you need to have your transponder mounted on the windshield. Only exceptions are license plate mounted transponders.

Maybe.. but I've been using Bay Area FasTrack for a year with my plate "mountable" transponder mounted under the nosecone and each time it only picks up the license plate number. They charge just the same and have never indicated that this is a problem.

Reactions: David99
A little OT but I noticed my transponder beeping when I drive into LAX airport. There is no toll and you don't need a transponder to drive there, but they use the device to track when you enter and leave the area. Big brother is watching you.