Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thule Roof Cargo Box Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Added a few more pics for reference.

Attachments

• 20210827_172135.jpg
    20210827_172135.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 20210827_172151.jpg
    20210827_172151.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 408
  • Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
Any idea what range loss is with these added?
It’s pretty big - we did a 2000 mile trip across Europe with a roof box (older style and so not as aerodynamic), with also a ski roof rack and winter tyres. The overall hit to range was almost 50%. On the way back we put the skis in the roof box and did away with the Ski - this made a significant difference and we got much better range. I would say that winter tyres impact range by 12%, roof box by 15% and ski rack by 20% - just rough guides and dependent on speed. If you cruise at a constant 56 mph you can improve this, but who wants to do 2000 miles at 56mph. I would say the more modern roof boxes - particularly something like the Motion or better still the Vector by Thule would probably improve this dramatically.

Thanks all for the information posted here. Planning a 1500-mile trip with a family of 4 and a 70-pound golden retriever. Initially, I was thinking of the Thule Motion XL - XXL, but I think we will be able to get by with the XL. Thanks again!

I spent some more time with my Thule XT Sport. I tried cutting some plastic inside to lengthen the front clamp travel by ~.5". However, that wasn't enough. While the rear clamps have enough travel (aft-wards) the plastic 'feet' of the box interfere. A deeper, more careful re-read of the Thule documentation suggests that the max (or min) bar spread specs should NOT be interpreted as bar center-line to centerline (as per one of Thule's drawings, but rather bar extremes. In my case, the Model Y bars are 38.5" from front of the fwd bar to the the back of the aft bar. thus the 36.75" spec of the Thule XT sport won't work.
as I'm not really looking forward to reshaping (read: melting) the box to make the feet fix around the bar I may simply try to find another option.

at some point I'll re-read this thread for ideas, but I think there is at least one Yakima box that has a max bar of greater than 38.5.

I think Nate (post 53) shows a Yakima. I'm curious how the Thule Motion Xt XL with spec'd spread of 36 7/8" worked for MikeInFL

edit to add link to Thule fit reference: Thule_Cargo_Box_Hatch_Clearance

Just to let everyone know that no cutting into the Thule Force Sport box itself is required and the box fits on the Model Y bars, with minor modification of peripheral plastic pieces: Thule Force XT Sport roof cargo box installed.