Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thule Roof Cargo Box Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who has a Thule Cargo box on their Model Y?

I was trying to get away with stuffing everything in the car, but with a dog an an extra passenger, it can't be done.

I can't find any site that will say what cargo box will fit a Model Y. It always says it's incompatible.

Everything I've found so far on the forums just says: "go ahead, it will fit," with zero real world experience.

Anyone have a cargo box they're using that fits?

This is on my 3P but would be almost identical to how it would be with the Y. I love the Thule Motion XT L. Perfect size and holds a lot of gear! I don't even see it looking through the front window and the trunk opens without hitting the rear. Hope it helps:

IMG_0143.jpeg

@webbah that looks great! I just wonder if there's any difference in distance between the two crossbars on the MY. I guess I'll just purchase from a local store so that I can fit it there.

Should be no issue at all. You can move the mounts forward and backward independently (front and rear) to match the distance. I am sure you will have no problem. I slid them all the way to the front of the box so the box sits farther back on the car. That way it isn't in my line of sight while driving. I could move it forward a good half a foot probably. Super easy to adjust the mounts as they are 4 large knobs on the inside that click when torqued properly and prevent over torque.

I'm just waiting for roof bars before I install mine. It make ski trips in my 2007 Prius much easier.. but honestly, I'm thinking I might keep skis inside the Y, given the middle of the rear seat folds.

I wanted to do that, but my dog is huge and needs the whole cargo space to be comfortable during long road trips. I was also just going to shove it on the side too, but it's still not much room for her. I also have a Vario Barrier HR to keep her safely from getting thrown forward through the car in case of an accident, and that thing requires all the back seats to be up, so I couldn't put down the single right seat to put the gear.

Reactions: husklylord
Apparently the box is pretty roomy - but yes I mainly want it for snowboards/skiis

I'll have to goto a store to take a look. In my Subaru/Thule box, I can put everything in there. Like snowboard gear for 3 people, all of our luggage and other things. We just keep the snacks in the car ;)

I figure if we got a box, we might as well get one that can fit a lot of stuff. If the Alpine version really reduces efficiency, however, then that might be a really good option.

Did anyone try the Thule Motion XT XL or Thule Force XT XL? My skis are 183s. I am not sure if there is enough clearance on the rear hatch.

I tried a Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite but it simply did not fit the crossbars even though Yakima says it fits and the actual measurements say it should fit. The physical box that I tried to put on top of the car could not latch completely on both bars. The spread was about 1/2" too short. I don't know if the guy at the shop screwed up or if there is variance between boxes. Anyone else experience this? For references, Yakima says the box fits spreads of up to 36" and by my measurement the spread on the Model Y is between 35.5" and 35.75".

Did anyone try the Thule Motion XT XL or Thule Force XT XL? My skis are 183s. I am not sure if there is enough clearance on the rear hatch.

I tried a Yakima Skybox 16 Carbonite but it simply did not fit the crossbars even though Yakima says it fits and the actual measurements say it should fit. The physical box that I tried to put on top of the car could not latch completely on both bars. The spread was about 1/2" too short. I don't know if the guy at the shop screwed up or if there is variance between boxes. Anyone else experience this? For references, Yakima says the box fits spreads of up to 36" and by my measurement the spread on the Model Y is between 35.5" and 35.75".

I've only seen the grand tour version mounted in this youtube video:

The specs on the grand tour say:
  • Minimum Crossbar Spread 24.00in
  • Maximum Crossbar Spread 36.00in
So if the skybox 16 carbonite says the same thing, it seems curious to not fit.

Did you ever find an answer to this? My snowboard will fit the Motion XT L, but I might want to get into cross country skiing, and I'm thinking those skies may be really long, and if I'm already adding a lot of drag, might as well get the biggest box I can.

My roof rack is being installed as we speak at a local Tesla SC, and then maybe over the weekend I'll stop by some Sportsbasement/REI stores to see if I can try a L and a XL size. I can report back. I guess I may have to buy one, put it on the car in the lot to try it, and then return it if it doesn't fit and then try another size. Good thing REI has a good return policy.