Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thule Roof Cargo Box Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going, at most, 5 - 10mph over speed limit. In some areas, speed limit is 50mph, and on those smaller highways, i just went about 50 - 55mph. On the 70mph highways, I stayed pretty much right at 70mph.

Any more photos of your setup? Can you confirm the liftgate can be fully opened without hitting? Definitely looking at this box and just need a few more photos before pulling the trigger ;)

Any more photos of your setup? Can you confirm the liftgate can be fully opened without hitting? Definitely looking at this box and just need a few more photos before pulling the trigger ;)

My liftgate is not fully open (my garage is kind of short), so I can't confirm it can be fully open without hitting, but it's not even close, you'd have to go more than full vertical to touch the box, so I'm pretty confident this is not an issue. Also note, my box is adjusted as far back on the car as possible, so there's so much room to move it forward that there's no way you'll have an issue with the liftgate hitting the box, especially if it's probably going to clear it at it's furthest back position.

The box is off the car at the moment, but I'll be back on another trip this weekend, so I'll try to take a few more, but not sure exactly what you're looking for?

My liftgate is not fully open (my garage is kind of short), so I can't confirm it can be fully open without hitting, but it's not even close, you'd have to go more than full vertical to touch the box, so I'm pretty confident this is not an issue. Also note, my box is adjusted as far back on the car as possible, so there's so much room to move it forward that there's no way you'll have an issue with the liftgate hitting the box, especially if it's probably going to clear it at it's furthest back position.

The box is off the car at the moment, but I'll be back on another trip this weekend, so I'll try to take a few more, but not sure exactly what you're looking for?

Just a few different angles like a front shot to see how wide it is over the glass roof and maybe some photos of the inside when packed. Will be our first roof box so still need to convince wife as baby 2 is on the way and we discovered traveling w/ one baby and their “stuff” is not an issue but adding an additional car seat will eat some space.

Does anyone have experience with the Thule Pulse Alpine Cargo Box? I don't need a lot of space, but want something to carry skis. It's smaller, at only 11 cubic feet of storage, but looks quite streamlined, so hopefully causes less range loss. The specs say the bar spacing should be 35 3/4". My MY has spacing 35 1/2", measured center to center. But the factory bars are quite wide at 3 1/4". The specs suggest it will not interfere with the back hatch, but that is another close measurement. It's meant for skis and can carry skis up to 210 cm long. And at only 30 lbs, seems like it will be easier to put on and take off the car.

Just a few different angles like a front shot to see how wide it is over the glass roof and maybe some photos of the inside when packed. Will be our first roof box so still need to convince wife as baby 2 is on the way and we discovered traveling w/ one baby and their “stuff” is not an issue but adding an additional car seat will eat some space.
I'm also very interested in how well the Motion XT - XL fits on the Model Y. e.g.) Close up photos of how the box attaches to the factory bars (how much room there is to move the box forward/backward between the bars, Back hatch open to the max height to show how much clearance there is from the box

@noshadow Did you consider or try to test out if the XXL version would fit on the Model Y?

Thule Motion XT-XL Installed! PERFECT FIT.

Attachments

• 8090E849-11E3-4A8B-BBC9-C05741385831.jpeg
    8090E849-11E3-4A8B-BBC9-C05741385831.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 4,265
  • 658139CF-6372-40A0-B9AB-00CD955C366C.jpeg
    658139CF-6372-40A0-B9AB-00CD955C366C.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 755E545F-545D-472C-9830-9A01619EF049.jpeg
    755E545F-545D-472C-9830-9A01619EF049.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • 08816468-2F8C-41A8-9DA1-564B0F79ECAE.jpeg
    08816468-2F8C-41A8-9DA1-564B0F79ECAE.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 1,029
I finally got around to putting my roof rack on my Y. Did a quick try with my thule force XT sport. I’m not sure it’ll fit: the Y bars are 35 3/8 spaced (which is less than the 36 3/4 called out) but as others have noted, these are wide bars. The front of the front bar to the back of the back bar is about 38 1/2.
the seems to be enough travel of the clamps but the box shape may actually get in the way.

Last edited:
I'm also very interested in how well the Motion XT - XL fits on the Model Y. e.g.) Close up photos of how the box attaches to the factory bars (how much room there is to move the box forward/backward between the bars, Back hatch open to the max height to show how much clearance there is from the box

@noshadow Did you consider or try to test out if the XXL version would fit on the Model Y?

I never tried the XXL. I don't have anything that long, and the weight load rating is only about 165 lbs, so I wouldn't stuff that much up there. But... I would say it could fit. You may have to adjust the liftgate, but just a little.

I spent some more time with my Thule XT Sport. I tried cutting some plastic inside to lengthen the front clamp travel by ~.5". However, that wasn't enough. While the rear clamps have enough travel (aft-wards) the plastic 'feet' of the box interfere. A deeper, more careful re-read of the Thule documentation suggests that the max (or min) bar spread specs should NOT be interpreted as bar center-line to centerline (as per one of Thule's drawings, but rather bar extremes. In my case, the Model Y bars are 38.5" from front of the fwd bar to the the back of the aft bar. thus the 36.75" spec of the Thule XT sport won't work.
as I'm not really looking forward to reshaping (read: melting) the box to make the feet fix around the bar I may simply try to find another option.

at some point I'll re-read this thread for ideas, but I think there is at least one Yakima box that has a max bar of greater than 38.5.

I think Nate (post 53) shows a Yakima. I'm curious how the Thule Motion Xt XL with spec'd spread of 36 7/8" worked for MikeInFL

edit to add link to Thule fit reference: Thule_Cargo_Box_Hatch_Clearance

Does anyone have a Yakima Rocket Pro 11 working with their Model Y roof racks? I'm looking around for options similar to the Thule XT sport (that doesn't fit - see previous post) but would love confirmation before I start paying freight (and waiting the many months of lead times everyone seems to have...)

I wanted to add a picture for people for reference if they are looking at the Thule Motion XT L.

The profile is a tad higher then I wanted and for 16cu versus the Motion Alpine I might considered swapping over for a more sleeker box. None of my items tend to be bulky in height, more in depth. I'll add more pictures from different angles for reference when the wife gets home. Hope it can help others with their decision on size. I can open the trunk with no issues, and it is on the last possible mount rear so it cannot go back any further.

Attachments

• 20210826_184629.jpg
    20210826_184629.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 972
Reactions: hyp36rmax
I had an awesome experience with the Thule Motion XT XL on the factory rails. At high speed 75-80mph) it reduced my efficiency by ~14%, which was not really even noticeable based on my planned stops. Wind noise noticeable but not too bad. It also kept the interior of the vehicle much cooler as the glass roof was almost entirely obscured.
IMG_1891.jpeg

Reactions: macanjr