TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thumb Drive recommendation for M3 That Works

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ldweisberg, May 4, 2020.

1. ldweisberg

ldweisberg New Member

Which thumb drives (specifically) work?

I've seen the Sentry Mode thumb drive conversations so often, but need a solid recommendation for an affordable thumb drive that actually works for this.

2. iamnid

iamnid Member

3. NoBoZo

NoBoZo Member

Here's what I'm using and so far so good:
    SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card along with a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader

• Like x 1
  4. Knightshade

Knightshade Banned

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128AB-AM-Plus-128GB/dp/B07D7PDLXC

~18 months of flawless use so far

No adapters needed, and the owners manual specifically recommends this model of USB drive as confirmed working with the car.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  5. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Has anyone else noticed that in the latest revision of the M3 Owners Manual Tesla specifically call out a couple of USB sticks by name?

Edit: Yes, KS has .. read the thread first Tim! :)

7. The_Observer

The_Observer Member

I personally use a 128GB Samsung Endurance microsd card with an USB adapter.

For the most part, a good brand flash drive like Samsung would do, but endurance microsd cards are able to handle even more extreme temperatures, I believe up to 85C instead of up to 70C for most flash drives and SSDs.

• Like x 2
  8. john5520

john5520 Member

I also noticed they prefaced their choices with the following statement:

"Although not a comprehensive list"

9. buttnutt

buttnutt Member

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-iPhone-Silver-SDIX30C-128G-GN6NE/dp/B01CIEBXZG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2YN5XRWECGGDD&dchild=1&keywords=sandisk+xpand+flash+drive+for+iphone+and+ipad&qid=1588649730&sprefix=xpand+sandi%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-3

I've had this one for 5 months no problems. The best part is you can plug directly into your phone to share videos and manage files easily. And like me, I don't expect you to look through a year old 36 page thread with a million suggestions to figure this out. I searched that thread and it got me nowhere.

• Like x 2
  10. Carolina Karl

Carolina Karl Member

11. Knightshade

Knightshade Banned

Obviously.

There's thousands of USB sticks on the market- it'd be nonsensical for Tesla to test every single one and then waste pages and pages of the manual listing the vast majority of them that all work fine (since the car is writing at a very low data rate virtually all of them should handle just fine).

So instead they listed 2 good examples from 2 of the larger makers of such devices.

Including, I was gratified to see the specific one I've been using and recommending on here for a year and a half now.

12. ChicagoSox

ChicagoSox Member

Um Yes

SSD is basically a faster/more advanced USB flash drive.

• Disagree x 2
  13. Knightshade

Knightshade Banned

With generally a narrower band of operating temps (bad)

A higher price (bad)

Draws more power (bad)

And provides a bunch of speed not relevant to the application (since the car is only writing at 2 MB/sec, which is slow by the standards of even USB2.0 keys- and the port in the car is only USB2 anyway BTW).

Regarding the temp stuff BTW-

Here's the manual for the Samsung T5 SSD that's very popular-
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Samsung_Portable_SSD_T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

"Use the product in an appropriate environment: temperature between 5C and 35C"

That's 41 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Cabin overheat protection doesn't kick in till 104.

The Samsung FIT Plus USB key the owners manual suggests, on the other hand, has operating temp specs up to 140 Fahrenheit.

USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 256GB Memory & Storage - MUF-256AB/AM | Samsung US

• Informative x 2
  14. GoSharks

GoSharks Member

Been using a Samsung high endurance SD 64gb SD card and the cheapest usb adapter I could find off ebay for over a year and 12k miles or so. Not a single issue.

• Like x 1
  15. stonefocus

stonefocus Member

which hardware support dashcam video recording? and which hardware for sentry mode?

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Banned

This is the model 3 forum- all model 3s (and Ys) support both.

On other models you need HW2 for Sentry (which does not record anything) and HW2.5 or HW3 for Dashcam (which does)

17. john5520

john5520 Member

#19 john5520, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    I personally would not trust any valuable data to a thumb drive. Nor would I trust them for a purpose like this. SSDs are much more reliable, but they do indeed have a narrow temperature band and draw more power. People have been successful using them though. There are high-endurance models, but not sure if the USB port would provide the necessary power.

I would recommend a high endurance micro sdcard for this purpose. They're cheap and while they might be overkill, they are DESIGNED for this purpose. And millions of people use micro sdcards their phones, dashcams, and digital camcorders. They withstand high temp ranges and the rigors of high read/write cycles.

• Like x 2
  18. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I've been running a ssd for a year and a half, through a broiling southern summer and well, not so cold winters, and have never had a hiccup. The temperature argument is a false flag - while it's true that the manufacturers don't support use outside of a relatively narrow band, in real life the drives can endure the temperatures a car can throw at them. The power issue is also a false flag - unless you're running something else that draws extreme amounts of power, you'll never have an issue, and for those extreme cases, use a navak to condition the power. The one true flag is the cost issue - no way around that. And the form factor for some people.

• Like x 1