Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumb Drive recommendation for M3 That Works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: bcpm3p and iamnid
I also noticed they prefaced their choices with the following statement:

"Although not a comprehensive list"

Obviously.

There's thousands of USB sticks on the market- it'd be nonsensical for Tesla to test every single one and then waste pages and pages of the manual listing the vast majority of them that all work fine (since the car is writing at a very low data rate virtually all of them should handle just fine).

So instead they listed 2 good examples from 2 of the larger makers of such devices.

Including, I was gratified to see the specific one I've been using and recommending on here for a year and a half now.

Um Yes

SSD is basically a faster/more advanced USB flash drive.

With generally a narrower band of operating temps (bad)

A higher price (bad)

Draws more power (bad)

And provides a bunch of speed not relevant to the application (since the car is only writing at 2 MB/sec, which is slow by the standards of even USB2.0 keys- and the port in the car is only USB2 anyway BTW).

Regarding the temp stuff BTW-

Here's the manual for the Samsung T5 SSD that's very popular-
https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...ble_SSD_T5_User_Manual_v0.0_Rev01_English.pdf

"Use the product in an appropriate environment: temperature between 5C and 35C"

That's 41 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cabin overheat protection doesn't kick in till 104.

The Samsung FIT Plus USB key the owners manual suggests, on the other hand, has operating temp specs up to 140 Fahrenheit.

USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 256GB Memory & Storage - MUF-256AB/AM | Samsung US

• Informative
Reactions: iamnid and bcpm3p
I personally would not trust any valuable data to a thumb drive. Nor would I trust them for a purpose like this. SSDs are much more reliable, but they do indeed have a narrow temperature band and draw more power. People have been successful using them though. There are high-endurance models, but not sure if the USB port would provide the necessary power.

I would recommend a high endurance micro sdcard for this purpose. They're cheap and while they might be overkill, they are DESIGNED for this purpose. And millions of people use micro sdcards their phones, dashcams, and digital camcorders. They withstand high temp ranges and the rigors of high read/write cycles.

Last edited:
I've been running a ssd for a year and a half, through a broiling southern summer and well, not so cold winters, and have never had a hiccup. The temperature argument is a false flag - while it's true that the manufacturers don't support use outside of a relatively narrow band, in real life the drives can endure the temperatures a car can throw at them. The power issue is also a false flag - unless you're running something else that draws extreme amounts of power, you'll never have an issue, and for those extreme cases, use a navak to condition the power. The one true flag is the cost issue - no way around that. And the form factor for some people.

Reactions: ChicagoSox