Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumb Drive recommendation for M3 That Works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a couple dead adapters (assuming that's accurate) is somehow proof they fail often? And you call my evidence scant?

I call your evidence exactly the thing you're insisting isn't accurate.

So if I find you 10 links of people with SSDs and SDcards with problems that magically means those ALSO suck and we shouldn't use them?

Weird standards you keep using.

So now we need 'good ones'? Not long ago you were making it sound like any old USB key would work flawlessly.

No, I was not.

I was making it sound like virtually any is plenty fast for the write speed. Because it measurably is.

But I wouldn't trust a QLC based key (or SDcard, OR SSD) to last for years and years.

A key using TLC or better will though...ditto SD and SSD.

As evidenced in this thread and elsewhere (see links above), the Tesla suggested 'good ones' are not guaranteed to work reliably.You've had good luck, others haven't.

So...exactly the same as SDcards and SSDs.

Where again some folks have had good luck and others haven't.

Not nearly as much as USB keys from I'm reading.

You don't statistics too good.

You realize if far more people use USB keys (and I think everyone agrees that at least a majority do- since that's what the manual actually says to use) then far more people will report issues with USB keys.

Even if the ACTUAL CHANCE OF A PROBLEM is exactly the same on all 3 types of media.

Now, there could be a software problem as well

There's been a bunch of them going back to the start.

Many went away after SW updates.

Some were introduced with them... (the last couple updates saw a BUNCH of SSD owners report problems in fact!)

Again- since we know for a fact the speed it's writing at- and we know for a fact the speeds are much lower than any of these HW types is capable of, the problem must be software.

As further evidence we have people who own TWO teslas... and when they have ONE with a problem and the other WITHOUT a problem... and they switch storage between cars... the problem stays with the car

If it was a hardware storage issue it would follow the recording media.

it doesn't.

Nothing more to add to this conversation.

To be fair, that's been true for you from the start :)

USB keys are not built with write endurance in mind. That’s all there is to it. Sectors go bad and the key’s speed degrades.

So... nope.

USB keys use exactly the same tech as SDcards.

Only the form factor is different.

You can buy keys with crap, normal, or high endurance.

You can buy SDcards with crap, normal, or high endurance.

You can even get SSDs this way too since they began using junk QLC in SSDs

And further. Do the math.

Or spend 5 minutes finding the 20 other threads where someone did it for you.

The car writes very little data relatively speaking.

Even on a "normal" flash storage device it'll be 5-10 [B}years[/B] before you reach the rated lifecycle of the flash memory in it on a 128GB device.

10-20 years on a 256.

"high endurance" flash (key, SDcard, whatever) is intended for massively more data being written to it than the car writes.... if you're running multiple 4k dashcams (as some do) you'd ABSOLUTELY want high endurance flash since you're writing many many times more data per second than the Tesla cams are.

But that's not the case here.

For anyone that wants to install drive and forget about it: PureTesla drives works - period.
No testing, formatting, slow write speed, bricking, etc.... just works.

What they're selling are literally someone elses drives (in some cases with their own logo slapped on, some not) that you can just buy yourself for like 30-50% less- But they pre-format them.

For someone unable to understand how to format a drive, maybe that premium was worth paying.

But as of the newest firmware, the car will do the formatting for you.