Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thumb wheel inop / "hard" software reboot options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my dead wheel buttons: Tesla Service notified me that they had ordered "ASY, STEERING CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS". Also, the local SC contacted me about setting up a Ranger to come out to my home to do the repair. Despite all the complaints about Tesla service, on this item they're playing their A-game.

That’s the same thing on mine (though, they have yet to come out). My frustration is the 4 weeks to get a Ranger appointment....

Scheduled for Monday. Fingers crossed.

Scheduled for Monday. Fingers crossed.

EPILOGUE: Ranger came out, swapped the switch (both sides, since it apparently comes as a "kit") in about 20 minutes, problem solved.

Chatting up the Ranger, he said this is a common problem, "almost always" the right switch (but he's seen it on the left, too). He said Tesla is scratching their heads trying to figure out what the problem is. His opinion was that it's in the control module, which is essentially the back plate of the switch assembly. As he described it, it's a buss system with each switch talking to the controller over IP. I could see that meshing with the "software, not hardware" theory--only I guess you'd have to call it "firmware." If the controller can't see or otherwise ignores a switch, the switch is "broken" in practice, even if it's actually closing a circuit as designed.

One shake-my-head moment came when I asked if they were taking all the bad switches and bench testing them to try to ID the root problem. Nope--straight in the trash.... :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
Update on my dead wheel buttons: Tesla Service notified me that they had ordered "ASY, STEERING CONTROL SWITCH HARNESS". Also, the local SC contacted me about setting up a Ranger to come out to my home to do the repair. Despite all the complaints about Tesla service, on this item they're playing their A-game.

Do you have a part number for the harness? I might need just the harness.

Thanks! And is that the wiring harness between buttons or the buttons itself?
Couldn't tell you for sure, but I think so.

It's the only part number listed. I saw what he took out & put in: it was the two switch assemblies, plus a wire harness connecting them to one another. They "come as a kit," according to the Ranger, which is why both switches (and the wire harness) got replaced.

Reactions: samppa
I'm on my third MX and in those 4 years I never experienced a spontaneous reboot. I've had my '21 MX since Dec 17th and the MCU and IC have spontaneously rebooted 3 times - at the same time. I thought it was a fluke. But reading these posts might explain something....when I took delivery, there was a brand new wiring harness in the frunk: It's about 20" long. I still have it in the garage and meant to take it to my first SC visit. I've always wondered what it's for. Hmmm...ya think it could be a pre-delivery repair...forgotten?

1013242-00-J, according to the work order completed on my 2020 MS LR+ this morning....
Update on my repair: a Ranger came to the house today, and that's the part that was replaced, per my invoice. Actual time working was about 35 minutes. The Ranger said that it's very tight inside the wheel assembly, and sometimes this harness gets into a place where it gets pinched, and a wire can break. It's all good now.

My 2019 Model x had the exact the same problem after an update installed in Nov 2023. The warranty expired a few months ago. Tesla quoted $330 to fix it by changing the switch harness. Sounds like a design issue since many owners had the same problem.
IMG_1032.jpeg