Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thump sound when starting to step on gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just wondering if anybody else has this problem/annoyance?

When I'm stopped, let off the brakes and press on the gas, I can hear a slight thump that's coming from the rear of the car(transmission)? Sounds like transmission engaging. Is this normal for the car or should I take it in to be looked at.

This was a CPO car and I've had it for about 2 months now.
I've only noticed it recently since I normally have music on but the kids have the been in the car recently and they take naps after a long day at Disneyland so everything is off.

Thanks for your input.

I was just wondering if anybody else has this problem/annoyance?

When I'm stopped, let off the brakes and press on the gas, I can hear a slight thump that's coming from the rear of the car(transmission)? Sounds like transmission engaging. Is this normal for the car or should I take it in to be looked at.

This was a CPO car and I've had it for about 2 months now.
I've only noticed it recently since I normally have music on but the kids have the been in the car recently and they take naps after a long day at Disneyland so everything is off.

Thanks for your input.
If you have pressed on the brakes hard enough to engage brake hold, the sound could be the brakes releasing. Otherwise, it is not normal. There is no transmission to engage, just a fixed gear reduction.

When I'm stopped, let off the brakes and press on the gas, I can hear a slight thump that's coming from the rear of the car(transmission)? Sounds like transmission engaging
Your car does not have a "transmission", it has a single fixed reduction gear and no clutch (of course it also doesn't have a "gas" pedal, but I understand you are referring to the accelerator pedal)..

Take it in to your local Service Center and have them listen to the sound.

If your TMC Profile "Location" is showing your Zip Code then I assume you are in Yorba Linda CA and Buena Park is quite close to you.