Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thump when AC is on?

corradoMR2

Jul 9, 2019
Toronto
When parked, I can hear and feel a small thump in the cabin, in particular along the driver's door and floor.

This only happens when the AC is on, and occurs consistently about every 20 secs. Anyone else experiencing this?

corradoMR2

Jul 9, 2019
Toronto
Happens to me sometimes when supercharging. Might be a different kind of thump though.

Yeah I know which thump you're referring too when supercharging which is much louder and "normal".

The thump I'm referring too is I believe related to the A/C compressor. Its feel and sound are much lower than the supercharging thump. Fan speed makes no difference. I'll see if a video might capture the (low) noise.

corradoMR2

Jul 9, 2019
Toronto
Did the car have a hot battery or was it recently supercharged?

No supercharging correlation, but you might be onto something. What do you think it is if it's heat related?

I will test in cooler conditions, in my garage, not having charged nor used the car, and in Park. I will also test with Recirc off as I may have noticed the click is not there one time (but could have been a fluke).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC