TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

"Thumping" during 1st few cold accelerations?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jeff-6293, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

<MODERATOR QUESTION: I don't seem to be able to upload a .mov file. How can I do this?>

In the attached six second video it's easy to hear the problem as the car begins accelerating.

Note that this appears to only happen the first two or three accelerations when driving a cold car. After that the noise is not evident. But it's always there initially when the car is cold. Note it does not require "flooring" the accelerator at all to get this noise; just a brisk acceleration.

I've sent this information to Tesla but I'm curious what the community thinks the issue might be.

2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Embed a YouTube video.

3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Mine makes a banging noise but it is when the brake hold releases and they were frozen. After that no problem.

4. hmmm

hmmm Member

5. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

Here's the video:

6. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

Could be. I'm still waiting to hear back from Tesla.

7. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

8. Evee

Evee Member

Mine does this too. Taking to sc. only when cold.

9. Whistle2Whine

Whistle2Whine Member

I reported the same thing recently and was told that it's the air suspension when cold. They didn't seem worried, which is weird.

10. ScottUK

ScottUK Member

Jeff, did you get to the bottom of your noise as my car is also doing it. Just booked it into the service centre but thought it worth asking in case it's normal (not that any of my previous Model S's made this noise)

11. randall_s

randall_s Member

What's your air suspension height? Mine did this while on high, but not on normal. SC replaced half shaft.

I thought it was happening, while "cold", but it was geolocation air suspension for my driveway. When I left "cold", air suspension was on high.

12. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

I have a SC appointment in a couple of weeks. But randall_s's comment above is interesting, since I tried to reproduce it yesterday, with the temp up in the 40s, and it did not occur, so I thought it might be temperature related. But I too have my driveway set to geolocate to HIGH suspension, and I think I delayed my test to where it would have lowered. I'll test again today in exactly the same place as last time. Thanks! I'll report back.

13. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Makes since. Have never heard that sound and have coils.

14. Jeff-6293

Jeff-6293 Member

Excellent insight. It was not as seriously cold so testing was difficult, but it may well be the Max Height that is doing it. I advised the SC for the upcoming visit. Thx!