Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Thumping" during 1st few cold accelerations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<MODERATOR QUESTION: I don't seem to be able to upload a .mov file. How can I do this?>

In the attached six second video it's easy to hear the problem as the car begins accelerating.

Note that this appears to only happen the first two or three accelerations when driving a cold car. After that the noise is not evident. But it's always there initially when the car is cold. Note it does not require "flooring" the accelerator at all to get this noise; just a brisk acceleration.

I've sent this information to Tesla but I'm curious what the community thinks the issue might be.

<MODERATOR QUESTION: I don't seem to be able to upload a .mov file. How can I do this?>

In the attached six second video it's easy to hear the problem as the car begins accelerating.

Note that this appears to only happen the first two or three accelerations when driving a cold car. After that the noise is not evident. But it's always there initially when the car is cold. Note it does not require "flooring" the accelerator at all to get this noise; just a brisk acceleration.

I've sent this information to Tesla but I'm curious what the community thinks the issue might be.
Mine makes a banging noise but it is when the brake hold releases and they were frozen. After that no problem.

Here's the video:

Jeff, did you get to the bottom of your noise as my car is also doing it. Just booked it into the service centre but thought it worth asking in case it's normal (not that any of my previous Model S's made this noise)

What's your air suspension height? Mine did this while on high, but not on normal. SC replaced half shaft.

I thought it was happening, while "cold", but it was geolocation air suspension for my driveway. When I left "cold", air suspension was on high.

I have a SC appointment in a couple of weeks. But randall_s's comment above is interesting, since I tried to reproduce it yesterday, with the temp up in the 40s, and it did not occur, so I thought it might be temperature related. But I too have my driveway set to geolocate to HIGH suspension, and I think I delayed my test to where it would have lowered. I'll test again today in exactly the same place as last time. Thanks! I'll report back.

What's your air suspension height? Mine did this while on high, but not on normal. SC replaced half shaft.

I thought it was happening, while "cold", but it was geolocation air suspension for my driveway. When I left "cold", air suspension was on high.
Excellent insight. It was not as seriously cold so testing was difficult, but it may well be the Max Height that is doing it. I advised the SC for the upcoming visit. Thx!

To do a bit of thread necromancy, I have the exact same noise and played this as I stopped by the SC. Cold(ish) weather and suspension on high guarantees the sound once. Thereafter, maybe until the car is cold again.

What ended up being problem and solution?

As an additional fun fact the
Tech discovered a judder during launches. He thinks they may be related.

I was just talking to my wife last night about that noise when it’s cold. Mine isn’t really a thumping but more like a grinding noise but not high pitch. Only when it’s cold. It’s possible that they use different alloys in the motor that will shrink in the cold at different rates and cause clearance issues. Can’t say for sure I’m not a professional on electric motors.

Hi Jeff
Mine sounds just like that if I go above 200kw on acceleration. I am sure it is a CV joint but I have wandered why cold would have a effect. I am thinking mine is when the car is in high possession and once it is lowered the noise is mostly gone. Also do you notice a slight vibration under acceleration. Tesla replaced a axle 30K miles ago and my only complaint was vibration under acceleration, no noise.