TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thumps and clunks while charging

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by DS369, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DS369

DS369 Member

Tesla is saying that battery thermal expansion clunks and thumps (as if someone is hitting the bottom of the car) during charging is normal in cold climates.

I would say this is some serious garbage for a vehicle that costs so much and we should not let them get away with this.
    Just because they failed to engineer proper solution and now pushing it as the norm.

For example this is quite a problem when you are trying to nap for 30 minutes! In general, since it's random, it's disturbing and unsettling. What else is NORMAL? How do I know if nothing is breaking?

What do you guys think??

2. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Its normal.

• Like x 2
  3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Chunky version of electricity versus smooth - like peanut butter?

4. webbah

webbah Member

Here’s a TSB. Maybe this will help dealing with the SC:

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  5. DS369

DS369 Member

They claim this is not applicable to my new vehicle and that bulletin doesn't even work to begin with.
    I guess i'll just sit on top of the popcorn bag in the microwave. So sad they are getting away with this crap.

• Disagree x 1
  6. clegg

clegg Member

I worried about this noise quite a bit the day I took my car home from delivery -- 700 km, lots of mountains. I felt better after reading this TSB. It's still happening three months and 8000 km later. Disconcerting for passengers, but it no longer makes me worry that something is broken. Now it's a quirk. A normal quirk.

I do hope they figure out how to silence it.

I wonder if a service centre located near mountains would have a different take on it.

7. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Hahahaha! Wait, is this a serious post?

Seriously, how do some of you make it through life whining about EVERYTHING?

That is how the car sounds when charging. It’s normal. If it’s so “disturbing and unsettling” to you sell it and get something else.

• Funny x 2
  8. MidwestM3P

MidwestM3P Member

Unfortunately, this is the type of stuff Tesla will have to deal with more and more as the Model 3 becomes more mainstream. You get customers who will complain about every little thing, like this.

9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Obviously a new owner, so chillax a bit ;)
    The car makes all sorts of noises even when not charging, it is never truly "off" and is always active at some level.
    Get used to the noises the car makes so you can reassure yourself that it really is OK
    Normal noises are great big clunks and bangs that sound like something just dropped off, all sorts of motor and pump whines, fans, vents etc
    Its a very active beast sometimes, but it really is normal.

It just seems a bit extreme to hear a noise and jump directly to "something is breaking" then immediately followed by "Tesla is lying to me, I don't trust them"

10. DS369

DS369 Member

Haha, you are funny.

11. Not Sure

Not Sure Member

I'm not sure, but I probably need a drink.

12. DS369

DS369 Member

It's not a noise, it's a sudden sound as if a solid rock hit the bottom. It's not in the manual, this is not expected. I'm aware about all other noises. Don't play smart and sweep this under that rug.

I'm fine if Tesla would just acknowledge the fact that they failed to properly engineer this part and not push it as normal. I'm not biased in any way, I don't want Tesla to fail, fan boys can chill. However this is not adding to Tesla's success for sure and half the world has low temps at least 3 months of the year. Smart people and engineers will see this is as a fail in design, which is probably easy to fix in next gen, while fan boys enjoy this "normal" crap and no one demands a fix.

I'm happy nothing is breaking but I can't just seat and not ask questions when something like that is happening ANYWHERE.

13. Twiglett

not playing smart just trying to help someone who apparently doesn't care to be helped.
    Not going to bother trying now, enjoy your car noises - goodbye
    /ignore DS369

14. DS369

DS369 Member

Thanks, you input is noted.

15. Mikedrives

Mikedrives Member

My Model 3 is too fast. I think it's actually the slowest Tesla there is, but still, dangerously fast, even in chill mode.

• Funny x 4
  16. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

Agree. Tesla has absolutely NO consideration for those of us who get nauseated from rapid acceleration. Did those animals ever think to create “Grandpa” mode that prevents this? What a bunch of A holes...

• Funny x 1
  17. Twiglett

that was an engineering fail right there, what were they thinking. We all need complain more about this stuff and not just sit back and take from them, apparently :)
    Without the racket from engine I can hear the wiper blades swish across the windshield, even worse I have to listen to my passengers talk now. Tesla even had the audacity to tell me that is "normal" - why do we take this nonsense from them?
    :D

• Funny x 1
  18. DS369

DS369 Member

Just to re-iterate to all the fan boys loosing their *sugar* over this: I still love the car and enjoy driving it. I respect all the effort that went into it, especially the AP and OS (operating system and UI) teams. Tesla is a engineering company and flaws like this are simply disrespectful to Tesla itself, even more so trying to push it as normal. Not everyone at Tesla is a good engineer, that's for sure. Acknowledging mistake is a sign of strength.