TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Thunderhill Raceway wants a Supercharger

Discussion in 'California' started by Calisun, May 31, 2013.

1. Calisun

Calisun Member

I've taken previous cars to track days and was interested in taking my P85+ when it arrives so I mailed Thunderhill to see what charging facilities they had. The general mil account responded and sent pictures of their 50 amp plugs they currently have in the paddock area for use but said they would love to work with Tesla. A few hours later I got a mail from their CEo who was very interested in getting a supercharger installed at the track.

He made some good points that would make me thing Tesla and Thunderhill would make good partners. The track is located just off I5 in Willows, just north of Sacramento and close to one of the proposed sites in the Supercharger announcement yesterday. They can make it available 24/7 for users and have a green energy plan to expand on their 300+ solar panels with a solar farm and three wind turbines. They also have Myth Busters and other automotive related tv filimg at the track on occasion.

I've already tweeted Elon, if others in NorCal are interested lets see if we can get Tesla's attention!

2. codesparkle

codesparkle New Member

3. Calisun

Calisun Member

Is that an official Tesla form? I've never heard of Wufoo.com.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

They look to be a generic 'web form' website. I would doubt this is anything Tesla official. I would be careful putting information into that form.

5. Calisun

Calisun Member

Exactly what I was thinking. It being the first forum post for that user didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.

6. Zextraterrestrial

I don't know about the form(at least it doesn't ask for VIN and SSN) but I have heard that Tesla will sell Superchargers to private people... repeated a couple of times to make sure she wasn't talking about HPWC's

I will come to that Raceway if they do it! exciting

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

This form is legitamate. This is linked directly from Tesla's new Supercharger page. The link is under the FAQ section.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

8. codesparkle

codesparkle New Member

Thanks for clearing things up ElSupreme; it was indeed my first post (but not my first visit) here, so I understand the skepticism.

9. Calisun

Calisun Member

Thanks codesparkle, sorry for doubting you.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Skepticism is a useful thing on the internet. Thanks for looking into it ElSupreme.

11. Zextraterrestrial

Cool. it is for real! I was hoping the Service employee knew what she was talking about.

Really awesome, Time to start propositioning places

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Which joke do I start with.... Decisions, decisions.

"Hey, big spender. You up for a supercharge?"

13. Calisun

Calisun Member

I passed on the link to the CEO of Thunderhill, I'll give an update if I hear anything. I think the biggest problem will be where the track is located lacks amenities for the average traveler. Other than that there are many benefits to the location.

14. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Me too! I want to take some high performance driving classes, and a supercharger at a track would be the best way to do it.

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Given the number of Model S owners within range of Thunderhill, I think a supercharger with several ports is a great business move for the track's owners. They'd be swamped with P85 and P85+ owners bringing their cars to the track, and public access makes it a win for Tesla Motors, too.

16. Calisun

Calisun Member

I agree, and there are lods of additional opportunities for them and Tesla. If Tesla ever wanted to offer an enhanced delivry experience they can partner with the track so people who sign up could come, get the car and spend a day at a performance driving course. There are branding and marketing opportunities to be the 'official' Tesla test track or even naming rights like Mazda has with Laguna Seca.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Take delivery at the track with an option for a high performance driving course"
    I would have taken this option in a heartbeat if it was offered.

This sounds a lot like foreign delivery of America-bound vehicles that Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. have done for a while now.

18. Calisun

Calisun Member

That and things like the AMG Academy day at Laguna I got when I bought my last car gave me the idea. I've sent the idea as a tweet to Thunderhill and Elon.

19. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Actually, its more like BMW's Performance Center delivery -- in SC. I've did Euro-delivery for my 2001 BMW -- great experience, but did not involve any track time.

However, for Tesla to make this work, they need to work with CA to grant an exception to CA sales tax for out-of-state buyers that would like to do either the factory delivery or this potential track delivery (or a combo...). As it is now, if I had wanted to pick up in Fremont, Tesla would have had to include CA sales tax. AZ would give me a credit, but CA's rate is higher (over 2%...).

20. markb1

markb1 Active Member

This looks to be about 7 miles from the freeway. I don't see Tesla wanted to pay to install supercharger here, but it seems like a good place for a privately-funded supercharger, if Tesla ever starts making this sort of deal.