Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thunk, clunk, pop, “scrape”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MYLR still makes this crunching sound when turning right, entering a steep driveway. I have Tesla fanatic friends (high mileage M3 owners) who say this is the ABS system cycling when it detects a slight loss of traction, regardless of vehicle speed.

I had the same issue turning into my driveway which has a small incline. I’d hear two clunks and thought it was a sway endlink bar from a YouTuber. I took it into Tesla and the technician drove back to my house to recreate the problem. So, it’s not the endlink but rather the HV battery. Here’s the technician’s explanation. Tesla went above and beyond fixing the problem and appeasing my concerns. I’m a happy man.

Service Summary
Technician Notes

After further diagnoses, it was found that the HV battery had insufficient compression strips along the battery which would cause a "thumping" noise when the chassis would flex. To repair this concern, the HV battery was removed and compression strips were added along the battery. The HV battery was installed and verfied the concern was no longer present. Your Model Y was taken on a post repair validation test drive to ensure no thumping could heard from the right side.

👏 to Tesla

I had the same issue. This fixed the problem.

Technician Notes

After further diagnoses it was found that the HV battery had insufficient compression strips long the battery which would causing a "thumping" noise when the chassis would flex. To repair this concern the HV battery was removed and compression strips were added along the battery. The HV battery was installed and verfied the concern was no longer present. Your Model Y was taken on a post repair validation test drive to ensure no thumping could heard from the right side.

Technician Notes

After further diagnoses it was found that the HV battery had insufficient compression strips long the battery which would causing a "thumping" noise when the chassis would flex. To repair this concern the HV battery was removed and compression strips were added along the battery. The HV battery was installed and verfied the concern was no longer present. Your Model Y was taken on a post repair validation test drive to ensure no thumping could heard from the right side.
Mind giving us your VIN serial number? Last 6 digits. I have a sort of similar clunk in the colder weather when the battery is cold.... Wondering if they neglected to put these strips on a batch of cars?

Technician Notes

I suspect I have the same problem. Unfortunately I’m two hours from the nearest service center. Did you get an idea if it’s dangerous, or just a nuisance? I can live with the noise. It also goes away when it’s warmer

My 2024 LR that was picked up on 2/1/2024 is now exhibiting the same KNOCK KNOCK noise while I turn RIGHT onto my driveway at slow speeds. It sounds like rocks being slung up against the plastic fender liner when this happens. It happened twice yesterday and both times involved me making slow, 90 degree turns onto or out of a driveway.

Last edited:
To repeat:

EVERY TIME I make a right 90 degree turn, into a driveway, with a slight gutter dip and a rising driveway apron, I hear a brief grind/crunch. It has done this for 51.ooo miles.
I believe it's the traction control engaging, when the right rear (inside) wheel loses traction.

It happens every time.

No other suspension/drivetrain/traction control issue of any kind. 51,000 miles. Actually, ZERO issues of any kind. The car has been flawless (except for steering column in/out/up/down motors that were replaced very early on, because of a grinding sound)