Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thunk, clunk, pop, “scrape”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon further investigation, it sounds like plastic. Plastic fasteners, front driver side wheel well, or some other plastic. It sounds like it’s coming from the driver side wheel well area. It’s like 2 pieces of plastic clipping on each other? Like when you pop a plastic fastener out. Which is why I initially thought it was the after market mudflap.

If you look at the after market mud flaps, it’s like 80% of them look exactly the same. The way it installs in the front is 2 plastic fasteners and top part of the mud flap clips into the fender/wheel well area. Well my driver side mud flap is not flush with the fender but is clipped into the fender/wheel well area. When I pop this clip out and back in, it sounds just like what I’m hearing. Im going to remove the front mud flaps and see.

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
I am also having this problem where I hear this "clunk" or "thunk" sound when I pull into/out of my driveway (hill/decline) - I can reproduce this most of the time w/ my driveway when I turn left into my driveway.

I brought this into service, and we had to find a steep driveway to reproduce the issue with the technician in the car.

Service ended up "torquing the front suspension" (that is all the notes say) but I am still having this problem.

I plan on bringing this back into service and interested to hear other's experience with service on resolving this issue.

I have a Sept 2021 MYP, ~ 2k miles, stock suspension/wheels, and FWIW aftermarket mud flaps (I was having this problem before the mud flaps).
I had a similar issue with my Sept 2021 MYP. I'd get a clunck noise in the front drivers side and I could feel it in the floor when I'd turn to go up into my apartments parking garage. The tech that I went on a test drive with to show him the problem said it was probably the battery popping and they had one in the shop with the same issue. They ended up fixing it by dropping the battery and installing foam between it and the vehicle. That was a few weeks ago and I have yet to hear the clunck again.

Reactions: RyMY and android04
I took off my front driver side mud flaps and went for a drive. Drove into a shopping complex and my drive way a few times and did not hear the clunk. I did hear it when backing out of my driveway and out of the shopping complex. But it sounded like it was from the front passenger side.

I put the mud flaps back on and went for another drive. I heard the clunk when pulling into my driveway this time. I plan to remove all the mud flaps tomorrow. I also ordered new mud flaps. The plastic push clips that came with the current mud flaps are abysmal. It’s flimsy. I broke a few already when initially installing and removing. The plastic just breaks if you look at it.

I also noticed that if I pull into my driveway really slowly (sort of a very short pause), it makes the clunk sound. If I go quicker, no clunk sound.

If removing the battery pack a big job? Would it cause more issues?

Removing the mud flaps did not help. I was going to remove them since I purchased new ones. The driver mudflap is not flush.

I’m bringing the car in tomorrow for door alignment. I’m going to ask about.

I did a search and M3 owners also have similar clunk. Supposedly it’s the metal cover that protects the hv battery. Happens more in the cold I think.

Brought my car in to have doors aligned. I also mentioned the clunk. Drove into the SC driveway and was able to replicate it on demand. The tech fixed my door alignment and put the car on a lift. He re torqued all the bolts; suspension, metal covers, etc. He said nothing was loose. He also removed a metal cover and added some foam. I got home and when I pulled onto my driveway, “clunk!”. Still there.

It’s possible it’s the hv battery cover. When it’s cold, metal hardens and more likely to clunk sound when chassis is flexed.

Reactions: Arthur31
Not when new, about 2.5 months and 2500 miles in I first noticed it.

It's very easy to replicate when turning right going up an incline, a ramp or even over a speed bump while turning right. I heard it at other random times as well, always when turning.

They replaced the stabilizer bar and links as I mentioned above but say it's still making the noise. Now they are saying it's a body panel flexing causing the 'thunk'. They're going to have to drop the battery to diagnose the panel flex, so guess it's the floor pan or something? Not sure, just going to stay tuned. Good news is I don't need the car right now.

Got the car back today and the 'thunk/clunk' is gone. They dropped the battery and added foam around the HV battery top cover. They also fixed a driver seat squeak, kind of like a cricket chirp, that was fixed by adjusting the lumbar hardware. Will keep an eye on it, but for now, mischief managed.

I think we're discussing more than one noise in this thread.
I've HEARD the battery thermal noises when Supercharging.

The noise I was referring to was definitely a suspension sound, specifically left front, when turning sharply into a rising driveway. Sounds like a traction control/tire scrub issue, as if both wheels are trying to spin at the same speed.

Yesterday, I backed out of my driveway and heard 1 clunk, very muted thought. Put it into D and Immediately took a right, with another subtle clunk. Came back a few mins later, pulled into driveway and no clunk.

30 mins later, backed out again and clunk. Couple of mins later, parallel parking, 1 very muted light clunk. Few mins later, went home, pulled into driveway with no clunk.

Just now, clunk when backing out and pulling into driveway.

I chatted with a mobile tech today, and asked him about the clunking issue. He knew right away about the issue since he was experiencing this with his own personal car (MYLR 2021SEPT). He said to wait it out since it sounds like Tesla is still investigating.. but sounds like the batter drop + foam insert might be the fix based on a few comments here....
Did the tech mention if it’s a safety issue or what’s causing it?

Having the exact same issue glad that I am not alone. Only about 4700 miles driven. I also found a post in Reddit about this:
Made an service appointment so let’s see what will happen.
Let us know how it goes. Which SC? Brooklyn? I brought my MY to Syosset for door alignment and mentioned the clunk. Even showed the tech riding in the passenger seat. They didn’t know much about it yet. Just checked suspension, covers and installed foam in the small metal cover.

Let us know how it goes. Which SC? Brooklyn? I brought my MY to Syosset for door alignment and mentioned the clunk. Even showed the tech riding in the passenger seat. They didn’t know much about it yet. Just checked suspension, covers and installed foam in the small metal cover.
Yup Brooklyn. The earliest appointment I can make is 12/28 lol. On my end it seems pretty random, mostly turning on inclined or declined road but can’t 100% trigger that noise every time. I will try to find a spot near the SC where can definitely trigger it before my appointment. Will report back any updates I have.

Reactions: Arthur31 and RyMY
Went out today to look for its pattern. I couldn't hear it when going straight over a speed bump, but if I turn my car facing right with the front left wheel first roll onto the speed bump then immediately turn all the way to left, it will trigger the noise almost every time.

bump.png

I also make a recording to see if anyone is having the exact same thing:
I recorded the audio with my phone by placing it on the driver-side floor, directly below the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: illson and Arthur31
Went out today to look for its pattern. I couldn't hear it when going straight over a speed bump, but if I turn my car facing right with the front left wheel first roll onto the speed bump then immediately turn all the way to left, it will trigger the noise almost every time.

View attachment 740453

I also make a recording to see if anyone is having the exact same thing:
I recorded the audio with my phone by placing it on the driver-side floor, directly below the steering wheel.
I believe that is the same clunk sound I have. The clunk in your video sounds a little deeper probably from the placement of your phone when recording. I had to put on my noise cancelling headphones and turn the volume down. I get 2 clunks sometimes also. Only when car is feeling generous.

There are a few times if I pull into my driveway just right, there will be no clunk. No clunk when going over speed bumps. But it’s always going over them straight.

I believe that is the same clunk sound I have. The clunk in your video sounds a little deeper probably from the placement of your phone when recording. I had to put on my noise cancelling headphones and turn the volume down. I get 2 clunks sometimes also. Only when car is feeling generous.

There are a few times if I pull into my driveway just right, there will be no clunk. No clunk when going over speed bumps. But it’s always going over them straight.
I boosted the volume a bit and did some background noise cancellation so yes I believe we have the same thing. For me using speed bumps are an effective way to replicate this issue, but I also get this when backing up into my driveway, not all the time tho just as you said. I will send this video to Tesla as an additional information.

Also, heard Tesla is doing a recall now for Model Y from here: Not sure if they are related but I think you can check your VIN at Tesla Service. I did mine but no recall for mine so I dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing lol...

Reactions: illson