Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thunk, clunk, pop, “scrape”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I saw in the video and what @RyMY and @Nrvna76 describe is exactly what mine was doing. Thunk felt or heard, turning over bumps or inclines. I took mine in for service, they 'fixed' it with foam on top of the HV battery. They had to drop the battery to do this. I haven't felt or heard a thunk since.

My only concern at this point is why the foam is needed, is the battery enclosure not secure enough to the frame to keep it from hitting? Or is the frame loose and flexing into the battery? Would seem to me that the structure and battery shouldn't be coming into unintended contact at all. Guess that's why they're working on more megacasting and structural batteries.

Last edited:
Can you guys feel the clunk under your feet when it happens? I hear a slight sound in similar situations like laid out in the thread but I feel it (like somebody knocking under the footwell) more than I hear it…

And is everybody setting up service for it or waiting for more information..?
I can feel it also. I already brought it in for service, but for door alignment. I also brought up the clunk and the tech checked everything over and added some foam to the small metal cover. Clunk still there.

I’m waiting now to bring it back.

What I saw in the video and what @RyMY and @Nrvna76 describe is exactly what mine was doing. Thunk felt or heard, turning over bumps or inclines. I took mine in for service, they 'fixed' it with foam on top of the HV battery. They had to drop the battery to do this. I haven't felt or heard a thunk since.

My only concern at this point is why the foam is needed, is the battery enclosure not secure enough to the frame to keep it from hitting? Or is the frame loose and flexing into the battery? Would seem to me that the structure and battery shouldn't be coming into unintended contact at all. Guess that's why they're working on more megacasting and structural batteries.

I guess that’s my ‘concern’ too… I’m not sure this is really a problem. Adding foam seems that it would fix a symptom (the sound) but not the actual ‘problem’. And if that’s the case is it worth taking the risk of getting the service?

Same concerns. I also wonder if more MY owners are experiencing this. If not, what changed? What this always there from the beginning? My started within a month, with less than 100 miles. Seems like a pretty big deal to miss during R&D, production, etc.

Reactions: ConchChick
I guess that’s my ‘concern’ too… I’m not sure this is really a problem. Adding foam seems that it would fix a symptom (the sound) but not the actual ‘problem’. And if that’s the case is it worth taking the risk of getting the service?
I hate bringing my cars in for service. I prefer to fix rattles myself. I only bring it in if I must.

Dropping the HV battery sounds like a big job. I’m hesitant to have to drop the HV battery on my new MY. But this clunk is getting to be a nuisance. I hope Tesla can come up with a fix without having to drop the HV battery.

Reactions: illson and MikeR99
Went out today to look for its pattern. I couldn't hear it when going straight over a speed bump, but if I turn my car facing right with the front left wheel first roll onto the speed bump then immediately turn all the way to left, it will trigger the noise almost every time.

View attachment 740453

I also make a recording to see if anyone is having the exact same thing:
I recorded the audio with my phone by placing it on the driver-side floor, directly below the steering wheel.
Thanks for recording this to ensure we are all experiencing the same issue -- yea same noise for me, and that is how i turn into my driveway as well (which has a dip).

For me it made sense to get it fixed by Tesla. 1) They're on the hook to fix it, and if the cure is worse than the disease, that will be their problem. 2) I would rather, if the battery pack/cover is going to impact the frame, that there be some buffer, rather than metal on metal.

Also, since getting that fixed, my satisfaction as a customer has gone way up. I would still love for the adaptive cruise to be more reliable, but when I put the pedal into the floor, I'm able to forgive, if only for those few sweet seconds. :)

Last edited:
Can you guys feel the clunk under your feet when it happens? I hear a slight sound in similar situations like laid out in the thread but I feel it (like somebody knocking under the footwell) more than I hear it…

And is everybody setting up service for it or waiting for more information..?
I want to say that when it clunks, I can feel the slightest vibration/feedback in my foot pedal/footwell area. I have to drive tomorrow so when I travel back on the incline road that gives me the clunking I'll pay closer attention to my feet and reconfirm if I feel it.

Reactions: Arthur31 and RyMY
I've already scheduled an appointment for my MYP. I'm experiencing the clunk/thunk noise when turning right into any angled up driveway. It only happens with this maneuver. The noise is coming from the front left tire area under the drivers feet. I can predict with almost 100% certainty when it will make the noise.

For those that have gotten it "fixed" what has been done?

I've read here and through Reddit/FB that some people had their HV battery dropped and foam was placed. The noise went away but when I think about it, that doesn't actually fix the problem. Rather that just makes the noise go away but the problem is still very likely there. Then a couple others that have chatted with me told me they have had to leave their car at the service center to get the HV completely replaced (not due to the quiet recall either).

Reactions: ConchChick
I've already scheduled an appointment for my MYP. I'm experiencing the clunk/thunk noise when turning right into any angled up driveway. It only happens with this maneuver. The noise is coming from the front left tire area under the drivers feet. I can predict with almost 100% certainty when it will make the noise.

For those that have gotten it "fixed" what has been done?

I've read here and through Reddit/FB that some people had their HV battery dropped and foam was placed. The noise went away but when I think about it, that doesn't actually fix the problem. Rather that just makes the noise go away but the problem is still very likely there. Then a couple others that have chatted with me told me they have had to leave their car at the service center to get the HV completely replaced (not due to the quiet recall either).
I thought the HV replacement seems to only affect some MYP.

I have read some needed to have the HV replaced for the clunk, while others have the foam added. I’m still waiting to schedule an appointment for this again.

I thought the HV replacement seems to only affect some MYP.

I have read some needed to have the HV replaced for the clunk, while others have the foam added. I’m still waiting to schedule an appointment for this again.
From the posts I've read, they are all MYPs that are affected. Maybe there are LR out there that I haven't seen though.

But it seems the ones that have gotten it "fixed" so far have had foam place after having the HV dropped and foam placed somewhere inside. Again though, I don't think this fixes the problem but rather just alleviates a symptom of the problem. I haven't seen anyone who is having the HV replaced report back yet if it fixed the noise.

Reactions: RyMY
From the posts I've read, they are all MYPs that are affected. Maybe there are LR out there that I haven't seen though.

But it seems the ones that have gotten it "fixed" so far have had foam place after having the HV dropped and foam placed somewhere inside. Again though, I don't think this fixes the problem but rather just alleviates a symptom of the problem. I haven't seen anyone who is having the HV replaced report back yet if it fixed the noise.
Mine is a LR and seems to have the same issue. I have no done anything about it because I agree with you that the ‘fix’ doesn’t seem to be a fix.. I’m not even sure it’s really a problem other than typically clunks are bad.. lol

Reactions: RyMY and ConchChick
Mine is a LR and seems to have the same issue. I have no done anything about it because I agree with you that the ‘fix’ doesn’t seem to be a fix.. I’m not even sure it’s really a problem other than typically clunks are bad.. lol
Ahh yes, I went and re-read all of the posts here and looked at what cars people have. It seems to be affecting all MY it seems.

I just dropped mine off and did a drive with the service tech. He said he hasn't heard/seen this issue yet, but when he listened to the noise he said there are two different noises. One is a deeper clunk and the other is more of an electronic shifting noise. He said the electronic type noise is supposedly normal, but the clunk he said is likely not the suspension. I showed him some of the work orders some people on Reddit/FB were nice to share with me and he said that it is likely they will check the HV and possibly drop it for the foam "fix"

Will absolutely follow up on this once I find out more.

Went out today to look for its pattern. I couldn't hear it when going straight over a speed bump, but if I turn my car facing right with the front left wheel first roll onto the speed bump then immediately turn all the way to left, it will trigger the noise almost every time.

View attachment 740453

I also make a recording to see if anyone is having the exact same thing:
I recorded the audio with my phone by placing it on the driver-side floor, directly below the steering wheel.
This is the sound I hear too!!! Based on what everyone has said here... seems to be benign? I'm worried to bring it in to service cuz it could come back with more problems...

It doesn't sound like most people have gotten it fixed?

This is the sound I hear too!!! Based on what everyone has said here... seems to be benign? I'm worried to bring it in to service cuz it could come back with more problems...

It doesn't sound like most people have gotten it fixed?
I just cancelled my appointment to have this issue looked at for this exact reason. It is very benign (in my opinion) and for me it happens so infrequently that it became a "feature" lol.
Almost seems like it is happening less and I accumulate miles ( currently have 2,873 miles).
As long as it's not suspension related I'll let Tesla decide if this is an issue that warrants a TSB/Recall.

I just cancelled my appointment to have this issue looked at for this exact reason. It is very benign (in my opinion) and for me it happens so infrequently that it became a "feature" lol.
Almost seems like it is happening less and I accumulate miles ( currently have 2,873 miles).
As long as it's not suspension related I'll let Tesla decide if this is an issue that warrants a TSB/Recall.

Same here. I only have about 820 miles on my new MY; I'm not having someone rip it apart for what seems like no immediate gain right now lol.

I'm just scared every time it has something to do with my suspension or steering axel arm or whatever and the car will fall apart lol...

Reactions: RyMY and ConchChick
I'm just scared every time it has something to do with my suspension or steering axel arm or whatever and the car will fall apart lol...
So I had my car at the race shop that sponsors me and we touched every piece of the front suspension and I am positive that there was nothing loose or showing signs that the noise was causing damage to anything suspension related. I was comfortable with what I saw and will just continue to enjoy the car.

Reactions: RyMY and acatwith12
Same concerns. I also wonder if more MY owners are experiencing this. If not, what changed? What this always there from the beginning? My started within a month, with less than 100 miles. Seems like a pretty big deal to miss during R&D, production, etc.
I have the same issue as well; I live on a hill and have to turn right up a hill to get onto my road and another steep right to get into my driveway. Mine doesn’t happen all the time but I’ve found if I go slower it doesn’t happen. I just added this to my service visit scheduled for tomorrow. Mine is also a LR- 7 seater.

I posted a thread about this but I got no response- I’m going to add here to get your opinions but I apologize if I’m out of line. This is why my visit is scheduled tomorrow; this is how my wipers work. I already had my Y in for other issues (🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️) and they told me this is normal. I disagree and it was impacting my visibility during a rainstorm. Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• 0A86F192-03C8-4C79-9B65-479F84623EC3.jpeg
    0A86F192-03C8-4C79-9B65-479F84623EC3.jpeg
    706.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 92F4656C-7A80-4C36-8DFC-E1D228A482C5.jpeg
    92F4656C-7A80-4C36-8DFC-E1D228A482C5.jpeg
    706.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 8582BE85-4077-46D6-990D-AEFDEB07E225.jpeg
    8582BE85-4077-46D6-990D-AEFDEB07E225.jpeg
    692.6 KB · Views: 99