Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thunk, clunk, pop, “scrape”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue as well; I live on a hill and have to turn right up a hill to get onto my road and another steep right to get into my driveway. Mine doesn’t happen all the time but I’ve found if I go slower it doesn’t happen. I just added this to my service visit scheduled for tomorrow. Mine is also a LR- 7 seater.

I posted a thread about this but I got no response- I’m going to add here to get your opinions but I apologize if I’m out of line. This is why my visit is scheduled tomorrow; this is how my wipers work. I already had my Y in for other issues (🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️) and they told me this is normal. I disagree and it was impacting my visibility during a rainstorm. Anyone else having this issue?
I’m sorry to hear. I follow your thread about 2021 being different from 2022. I totally understand. Two makes and models, that had no changes, should not drive so drastically different. Did your 2021 also have the clunk?

Regarding the wipers, it happens on my MY also. Also had this on my XC90 and my previous cars. The passenger side wiper cleans while the driver wiper creates a mess again. Just like my kids after I pick up their toys. Have you tried some rain repellent like rain-x? Too much rain-x causes wiper chatter. Does it happen if you lower the wiper speed? I find lower splatter with lower speed.

Reactions: Arthur31
Following this thread. Have the same “clunk” and follow-up clunk after driving down a decline and turning right into my parking garage. Had a SC Appt set up, but ended up canceling since they would have charged me if they couldn’t find a cause. Figure I’ll wait to see if anyone gets lucky here.

2021 MYLR, with flaps.
Tesla SC charges if they can’t find a cause? The clunk is there. So if you bring it in for a rattle and they can’t find a cause, they will also charge? These are warranty items. :(

I should have said “can’t replicate and don’t find anything wrong”. Also, I don’t disagree, it’s ridiculous. But also, I don’t want to pay $165 to just be frustrated when the issue isn’t resolved. So. I wait.
Wait what? LOL I didn't know they will charge me if they can't replicate the issue. My appointment is coming this Thursday and now I think I have to find a spot near the SC where can trigger 100% or else I will cancel the appointment smh....

My suspicion is that this will never be fixed because it is inherent slop in suspension components. I don't say that as a knock on Tesla, and I bet it happens on a lot of cars and it just isn't noticed as much. At least, based on the noise mine is making. Take a look at all the places slop might be introduced.
suspension slop, particularly bushings, is fix-able. Almost always. You just have to find someone skilled at it.
An alignment shop is usually capable, a race shop better.
Call in the outside help if Tesla can't get it solved for you.

My SC sent a message the day before. Basically said when I arrived a tech would drive around with me to confirm the noise. If confirmed they would keep and fix it. If not, take it away and keep monitoring, no charge.

Because this one (clunk/thunk) was 100% reproducible on mine, he was able to hear it and feel it within moments of the test drive. If they don’t offer to do this, ask them to. Don’t just drop it off if you can help it.

Reactions: RyMY and gutou
Update on my front left wheel clunking.

So after doing a drive-a-long confirmation of the noise and leaving the car at the service center for a day, I was notified that the techs had indeed dropped my HV battery and concluded they needed to add NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) material. The NVH they needed though was on back order and they won't get it for a couple weeks, so they told me that I could pick up my car and bring it back when they get the stuff. I guess at least I didn't have to go long without a vehicle for now.

I'm not well-versed in the world of cars so I searched for what this was and I'm still not really sure what it does other than provide some insulation between parts. So I am still under the belief that there is no real fix yet for this problem and there is only a "fix" for the symptom which is the noise. Whatever is causing the noise doesn't seem like it's going to be fixed since it doesn't seem like any of us know yet what it is.

Maybe someone here that knows better than me can explain this NVH stuff.

Mechanical Engineer with 20+ years in the defense industry
Pro Racing instructor and racer since 2005
I have this noise so I decided to take my Y to my sponsors shop and have the techs and myself check the front. The suspension assemblies (L and R) did not appear to be the issue. Nothing was loose or making contact ( no witness marks) so I am comfortable with knowing it's not the suspension
The fact that the noise happens and then repeats itself within a tire rotation tells me something is flexing and then returning, which I think is confirmed by the fact that they are adding "foam" to mitigate this noise. Every car twists when you go over an uneven surface so I am picturing a cover that is moving (possible due to a tolerance issue, over or undersized parts) and then "resetting" once the car is back to a level surface. We like to call this "oil canning" which mimics the noise those old metal oil can would make when you would squeeze them to get oil out. The "foam" would put pressure on this cover and absorb or prevent the flexing.
I'm holding off on having Tesla look at it for now, I'm not concerned about it enough to have them pulling my car apart.

I have this noise so I decided to take my Y to my sponsors shop and have the techs and myself check the front. The suspension assemblies (L and R) did not appear to be the issue. Nothing was loose or making contact ( no witness marks) so I am comfortable with knowing it's not the suspension
The fact that the noise happens and then repeats itself within a tire rotation tells me something is flexing and then returning, which I think is confirmed by the fact that they are adding "foam" to mitigate this noise. Every car twists when you go over an uneven surface so I am picturing a cover that is moving (possible due to a tolerance issue, over or undersized parts) and then "resetting" once the car is back to a level surface. We like to call this "oil canning" which mimics the noise those old metal oil can would make when you would squeeze them to get oil out. The "foam" would put pressure on this cover and absorb or prevent the flexing.
I'm holding off on having Tesla look at it for now, I'm not concerned about it enough to have them pulling my car apart.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking as well. Flexing then returning. My MY is my first EV. Never had this issue on all my ICE cars I have owned. I’m sure there are more M3,MY, or maybe even MS and MX owners that have this issue but probably just don’t notice it or don’t care.

When it first happened I immediately thought it was the after market mud flaps. The front driver side didn’t sit flush and it has this clip that attaches to the inner fender. I assumed this clip was flexing then returning. I don’t have a lift but I examined the plastic covers under the car, the wheel well cover, the rocker panel, etc.

It’s a new car and I don’t want the SC tearing it apart. But I cringe every time I have to back out or pull into my driveway. But I’m so used to the clunk that sometimes I ask myself “did it clunk?” Every once in a while, when the stars align and the powers that be allows it, it doesn’t clunk. I think I’m due to for a clunkless day soon.

Sandy Munro did an episode on the MY that shows the oil canning. But it was near the 2nd row area.

Thank you for this explanation! For someone like me who isn't as knowledgeable as you that was dumbed down enough so I could understand. Appreciate it!

Would you say it is a semi-fix then as the flexing seems to be causing such a loud clunk to happen?

I don't know what this cover looks like or how it is fastened but the "foam" seems like a band-aid but that's not really a bad thing. If the choices were to use some material to mitigate this noise or to make an official revision to a manufactured part I would choose the foam as this seems to be a small issue and not systemic.
Let's just say that fixes like this are very common in the defense industry. Sometimes the simple fix is the right choice.

Totally in agreement with Arthur. I’m pretty sure this sound is the big piece of sheet metal under the battery twistIng when going over a bump on an angle. I notice this happens to my MY more frequently when it’s cold. Ever hear a baking sheet twist/pop in the oven, and then it pops back once it cools down? Kind of like this. I don’t think it’s of any concern or consequence. I do know I’m a *lot* more aware of sounds in my Tesla than in my previous ICE car, even though my ICE car made way more sounds. I just never worried much about them.

Just got back to service center. They preformed a validation drive but interestingly the noise today is less frequent and quieter. So the technician told me I could continue to drive until it happens more frequently then bring it back to check again.

Just got back to service center. They preformed a validation drive but interestingly the noise today is less frequent and quieter. So the technician told me I could continue to drive until it happens more frequently then bring it back to check again.
The weather is pretty warm today in the NYC area for a Dec. Upper 50s to low 60s. Might be why.

Thanks! As a n00b who knows nothing about this and the sound seems to be coming when turning and going over bumps (which makes me think suspension), how would I know whether it's truly a mechanical issue with suspension (which would be serious) and not a random benign issue that we've all seemed to report here? After reading through this entire thread I'm more or less convinced we all have the same problem but.... I'm still worried every time I hear the noise D:

Thanks! As a n00b who knows nothing about this and the sound seems to be coming when turning and going over bumps (which makes me think suspension), how would I know whether it's truly a mechanical issue with suspension (which would be serious) and not a random benign issue that we've all seemed to report here? After reading through this entire thread I'm more or less convinced we all have the same problem but.... I'm still worried every time I hear the noise D:
A few of us that experience the clunk already had our suspension checked out.

Reactions: acatwith12