Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

THUNK from rear suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else experience a loud THUNK from their MY rear suspension when going over bumps/bumpy roads. It's jarring. It's almost like there's a big book in the right rear trunk area, that slams down when you hit a bump. Is it just the stiff as hell suspension and my crappy rutty roads? I also do have the MPP lift kit - would that affect how the suspension behaves over bumps? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anyone else experience a loud THUNK from their MY rear suspension when going over bumps/bumpy roads. It's jarring. It's almost like there's a big book in the right rear trunk area, that slams down when you hit a bump. Is it just the stiff as hell suspension and my crappy rutty roads? I also do have the MPP lift kit - would that affect how the suspension behaves over bumps? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I experience the same thing. It is the one thing about the car I truly don’t like, and if you look at my post on the MPP comfort coil over thread I am asking them if the new coil overs are helping this.
I took the car into service to have it driven by Tesla technicians to see if I had a lemon and they insisted that this is simply “how the model Y sounds”. It is frankly unfortunate as everything else about the car is great but this makes it much less of a pleasant vehicle than it should be. It sounds like they might be addressing that someone on the newer builds.

Vivelemond: So YOU have MPP coilovers installed and are hearing a thunk?

Hmm...2 customers with MPP coilovers making a thunking sound, and you think it's a Tesla issue? That doesn't make sense to me.

I have the same issue but the sound comes from the front left. Tesla service checked it all out, tightened everything to spec, drove it around and told me nothing was wrong. Yet, the sound still happens a lot. At this point I’m just living with it until someone else gets Tesla to fix something and I can point them to that. I’m also open to spending money to replace whatever is causing the issue with after market parts.

I have the same issue but the sound comes from the front left. Tesla service checked it all out, tightened everything to spec, drove it around and told me nothing was wrong. Yet, the sound still happens a lot. At this point I’m just living with it until someone else gets Tesla to fix something and I can point them to that. I’m also open to spending money to replace whatever is causing the issue with after market parts.

I am experiencing something similar when I back out from my driveway with a slight incline or into a parking lot. Tesla service can never duplicate it when they take it out for a test drive to diagnose. Please let us know if you guys ever figure it out.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you guys are hitting the bump stop in the suspension. I used to hit it all the time in my PUP, especially in the rear. The stock lowered springs are short and the design of the model Y makes it very noticeable.

And yes, MPP coilovers will Fix the issue, I have them installed.

watch the video on what the bump stop does if you don’t know

Reactions: WeooooooHuh
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you guys are hitting the bump stop in the suspension. I used to hit it all the time in my PUP, especially in the rear. The stock lowered springs are short and the design of the model Y makes it very noticeable.

And yes, MPP coilovers will Fix the issue, I have them installed.

watch the video on what the bump stop does if you don’t know

more reason to get the MPP coilovers :D

I have experienced the same noise both in the front and rear when my MY is going over the bumps. I was going at a very slow speed (I would say less than 5MPH) since the bumps are a bit high. It sounds like when an old car is going over the bumps. Not sure if the suspensions need to be fixed, but after reading the posts here I definitely will schedule an appointment for Tesla to check it.

Just want to leave this here to try and help others. We were getting a loud thunk from the rear of the car on bumps. Not always big bumps but rather sharp bumps like a small pothole. It turned out in true Tesla fashion they did not adjust the bumpers on the back hatch properly and the hatch was rattling under certain scenarios. Found this by pushing on different areas on the back hatch and found the right side rattling. 2 min adjustment of the stops and problem fixed.