Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Thunk" sound while supercharging while cold and changing altitude

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MAny of you seems to have experience the upsetting noise while supercharging on cold climate or changing altitude.

The good news is that Tesla is aware of it, has a service bulletin and a procedure to fix it:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

The not so good news is that I just opened a service call with Tesla, and they told me by text that they can fix it, but because the issue doesn't impair the vehicle in any way, they will charge me for the fix, if I decide to go ahead with the service call.

Why are they willing to come to my place to fix any number of rattles but not to fix this? I understand the service centers are full all the time, but this job is quoted as a 15 minute repair on the bulltin itself.

Anyone got better luck with Tesla with this issue?

ok, this is weird. After several back and forth via SMS, service center agreed to do the job, but charge me for "diagnostics"

Some more back and forth texting and now they agreed to not charge for repairs, nor diagnostics, nor parts.

The only caveat is that they say yhis could improve the situation, but maybe not fix it completely.

My appointment is in a couple weeks, we will see how it goes

PS rant: All this by SMS. Why can't we have a voice call?

First post (yay). June 2019 M3P build.

Same issue here. On some mountain roads over the holidays, it was making several thunk sounds under the car. Service scheduled for later this month - SC hasn’t mentioned a fee yet, but they did ask if it was noticed at a supercharger. I guess they’re looking to avoid those that only hear it then. Assume those sounds are due to the DC connections which I’ve read about.