Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tick, tick" noise -- normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that when I sit in the cabin of my car in a very quiet space, I can hear a very soft "tick, tick" noise. The first tick sounds like it originates on the right-hand side of the cabin, the second on the left. It repeats on an exactly three-second interval and continues indefinitely.

Has anyone else noticed this, is it normal, anyone think I should bring it to Tesla's attention?

Yup. Noticed that too.

It's coming out the speakers.

Audio system glitch, or some antenna pinging for a fob or wifi access point or whatever, periodically...

Hey! Call the FCC and claim RF interference between the car and itself.

I've noticed that when I sit in the cabin of my car in a very quiet space, I can hear a very soft "tick, tick" noise. The first tick sounds like it originates on the right-hand side of the cabin, the second on the left. It repeats on an exactly three-second interval and continues indefinitely.

Has anyone else noticed this, is it normal, anyone think I should bring it to Tesla's attention?

I would call Tesla and inform about this.

Yes, I have an 85D as well. I could never put it into words, but you've managed to explain it quite well. To me it sounds like some sort of pinging of the key fob of some network, or maybe a suspension load reading? Do you have air suspension or coil?

Got air suspension, ticking present in this car

It's so quiet not a problem really, but next week I'll be camping and sleeping in the car so we'll see if it's an annoyance then.

My money is on RF interference.

There were a few threads about this issue a while back. On mine it sounds like a soft "click-clack" like there's a hard drive in the dashboard of the car (coming from the driver side). The consensus seemed to be that it was something to do with the new autopilot hardware and/or electric brakes, but nothing to be worried about.

I have a completely separate issue of cell phone interference coming out of the left speaker. Static, pops, buzzes. Apparently that's "normal."

If it's very quiet, I notice a subtle sound like this, although I would stop short of calling it "ticking". I discovered it had something to do with running the HVAC fan on Auto. If I select a manual fan speed, the sound goes away. I think it might be some circuit "hunting" for the correct fan speed on Auto.

If it's very quiet, I notice a subtle sound like this, although I would stop short of calling it "ticking". I discovered it had something to do with running the HVAC fan on Auto. If I select a manual fan speed, the sound goes away. I think it might be some circuit "hunting" for the correct fan speed on Auto.
I don't think that's what it is for me, since I get it even with the climate control system (and everything else in the car) turned off. Thud's description of it as sounding like a hard drive sound is accurate for the sound I get. One distinctive characteristic of what I'm talking about is the exactly 3-second interval – I timed it for a couple minutes, and it's rock steady.

From THUD: I have a completely separate issue of cell phone interference coming out of the left speaker. Static, pops, buzzes. Apparently that's "normal."

That is a crap response. There is no reason whatsoever that they cannot shield their electronics from cell signals these days. I would push back. I have an iPhone6 and have no problems.

I actually can confirm his statements. Every once in a while (couple of days, maybe twice per day) I'll hear the Cellular search buzz from what I believe is the left most speaker next to the A-pillar. I haven't complained to SC because I knew what it was, but it was pretty interesting Tesla didn't do a better job of isolation or something of that sort. It may very well be the cellular system of the car itself, as I also have an iPhone 6 and have that issue. I can live with that, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found a YouTube video of the "hard drive clicking noise" but this isn't really the sound I'm hearing. I feel as if we all may be talking about 2 different sounds. Mine are definitely consistent with the 3 second interval, but there more like faint beeps, if that, and I can only explain them as some sort of ping. I have never experienced it when driving, however it may just be too loud to hear the sound. https://youtu.be/fts8ylHoSBM

There were a few threads about this issue a while back. On mine it sounds like a soft "click-clack" like there's a hard drive in the dashboard of the car (coming from the driver side). The consensus seemed to be that it was something to do with the new autopilot hardware and/or electric brakes, but nothing to be worried about.

It sounds like you're talking about the "Ticking" that was related to the iBooster, dicussed in this thread: Ticking issues on new cars.

That ticking only happened at certain speeds, and has now been stopped.

What the OP and others are discussing must be something different.

Odd

Had an idea today while fiddling with AM radio and some electronics in my house. The AM radio picks up all sorts of electrical buzzing and tones which may be inaudible or barely Audible to my ear. Took an AM radio out to the tesla and it picked up all sorts of stuff, but most importantly the tick noise. It amplified it and I will upload a video. The keyfob transmit tone it picks up is weird too, but that's just kinda interesting. Because it's picking up keyfob pings and other types of pings, I'm almost certain this is some sort of ping.
Video:
Tesla Noise - YouTube

Last edited: