Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving up on a two lane divided highway with Navigate on Autopilot activated (I have FSD) and in the left a lane as I was approaching my exit. The car rather abruptly changed lanes so it could exit. After we exited, I was pulled over by a State Trooper who said I cut her off. I was given a citation for reckless driving. Things deteriorated from there when she kept me there for an hour, and three other cops showed up sirens and lights blazing as they put me through a battery of questioning and sobriety tests as well as a breathalyzer. I had not drank anything. Only 1 of the 4 would was wearing a mask, and they would not mask up. Anyway, I won't go into the details of that story, other than I am thinking of hiring an attorney about the harassment and endangerment since I am 66. But the reason I am writing is that I was wondering if there is any way to recover the video from first, the incidents with the cops, and second, when autopilot changed lanes and supposedly cut off the cop. Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes, which obviously was a mistake on my part. But I have to go to court to fight the ticket, and it would be great to have video of the lane change.

But the reason I am writing is that I was wondering if there is any way to recover the video from first, the incidents with the cops, and second, when autopilot changed lanes and supposedly cut off the cop. Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes, which obviously was a mistake on my part. But I have to go to court to fight the ticket, and it would be great to have video of the lane change.

Hold up - you were changing lanes from the LEFT lane to the RIGHT lane and they are trying to claim you "cut them off"? That in itself is absurd and should be thrown out IMO. Why are they trying to fly past you in the right lane? That by itself is reckless...

The rest makes it really sound like you made that cop mad and they are trying to take it out on you. I had a similar incident where a cop tried to cut me off from the right and i didn't really let them merge (I was trying to change over to the left) and sure enough, they pulled me over for not having a front license plate which seemed a bit like revenge - though i certainly set myself up for that one.

Unfortunately if you don't/didn't have a USB drive connected at the time, i dont think you're getting the footage.

Hold up - you were changing lanes from the LEFT lane to the RIGHT lane and they are trying to claim you "cut them off"? That in itself is absurd and should be thrown out IMO. Why are they trying to fly past you in the right lane? That by itself is reckless...

The rest makes it really sound like you made that cop mad and they are trying to take it out on you. I had a similar incident where a cop tried to cut me off from the right and i didn't really let them merge (I was trying to change over to the left) and sure enough, they pulled me over for not having a front license plate which seemed a bit like revenge - though i certainly set myself up for that one
Do you have USB drive connected, and did you click on dashcam to save the video?
I have a USB drive and it has 3 folders: Recent Clips, Saved Clips and Sentry Clips. I removed it from the car to look and did not click on dash cam. Is it too late? Can I put it back in the car and save dash cam video at this point. And yes, she claims that I moved into her lane too quickly. I am 99% sure that I didn't pass her since I would have noticed it was a cop. It is possible that Autopilot tried to move quickly to make the exit, rather than slowing down and letter her pass and then moving into the right lane.

I think you can only save the last 10 minutes, so you are probably out of luck. My experience with autopilot is that it starts slowing down if it thinks you need to change lanes, so maybe it slowed down and then changed lanes fairly quickly, which could look like cutting someone off.

I removed it from the car to look and did not click on dash cam. Is it too late? Can I put it back in the car and save dash cam video at this point.

Wow you might have gotten very lucky! It should be saved under "recent clips" if you disconnected it within 10 minutes of the incident occuring. Also under "saved clips" if you hit the dashcam button.

I doubt it would have cut them off, Autopilot normally waits for a fairly large distance gap before changing lanes so unless she was coming up on you with 5+ MPH difference then i dont see how it occurs. That's why i'm kinda surprised she wrote you up for being reckless if she was passing you at that speed difference in the right lane.

This is why they NEED to incorporate rear view (backup and repeater) cameras into the auto lane change decision tree.

When I taught drivers ed, we were trained and training that the rear view was a critical part of the scan for any slow down/braking maneuver and, for lane changes, throw in the over the shoulder even if you think you have your side mirrors perfectly adjusted to eliminate blind spots.

As far as I’m concerned, I’m even more paranoid when NoA’s engaged because it still makes stupid choices and won’t be the one charged (or beat up in a road rage incident).

Check the USB. If it’s big enough, it might have some of the footage but it may not be the difference in court since you’re always responsible when autopilot is handling the controls. If the cop was way behind or racing past, that may hold some sway but if closing rate was obviously great enough to cause a conflict, you’ll be at fault since staying in your lane requires the lowest level of intervention from both parties. Now, the harassment aspect really has a lot to do with your responses and, potentially, any bias (unconscious or overt). Did they have dash/body cams to subpoena? What about radio recordings (somebody out there may have been recording off scanner or internet if you can’t get official ones through discovery)? Is it worth that level of interaction and cost to you?

(I’m not lawyer and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express so don’t listen to me)

Wow you might have gotten very lucky! It should be saved under "recent clips" if you disconnected it within 10 minutes of the incident occuring. Also under "saved clips" if you hit the dashcam button.

I doubt it would have cut them off, Autopilot normally waits for a fairly large distance gap before changing lanes so unless she was coming up on you with 5+ MPH difference then i dont see how it occurs. That's why i'm kinda surprised she wrote you up for being reckless if she was passing you at that speed difference in the right lane.

If you do nothing it's a 60 min rolling loop.

If you click save it saves the last 10 minutes.

This is why they NEED to incorporate rear view (backup and repeater) cameras into the auto lane change decision tree.

They are and have been for probably over a year now, it used to only rely on ultrasonics which would definitely cut people off. In my experience, the current lane change is pretty good at not cutting someone off unless they are coming up on you fast. This is typically a problem on the highway when trying to pass a truck by moving into the left lane and someone comes up on you at 80-85, but for it to happen when trying to exit the passing lane is another story entirely.

How fast was the officer traveling when this occurred (rhetorical/i'd ask them to show that)? I'd also ask for the footage that others have mentioned.

I've had my FSD autopilot try to cut off cars while switching lanes on the freeway. It always occurs when a car is coming up at a high closure rate, which I could clearly see in the side view mirror. Autopilot will initiate the turn signal, and still try to change into that lane while the car behind is closing in at +20mph over the speed limit. I just cancel the lane change by tapping down on the turn signal. Road rage incident, averted.

...Navigate on Autopilot activated...

If are on Autopilot without Navigate on Autopilot, you have to manually signal to move from left lane to the right lane then to the exit.

If Navigate on Autopilot works without lane change confirmation, you do not have to do the above maneuver. It would Auto Lane Change from the left lane to the right lane way far ahead like 3 miles before exit and not at the last minute. And of course, it would Auto Exit for you also.

...Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes...

It sounded like you configured so that you need to manually approve a lane change?

...not cutting someone off unless they are coming up on you fast...

Mine does Auto Lane Change aggressively so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm ticketed some day.

It signals the turn intention first even though it knows there's a car behind in the adjacent lane (destination lane). It would wait to see whether that car would yield or not. If that car does not increase nor decrease speed, it might do a tie: Keeping signaling without changing the lane.

Once that car yields by decreasing its speed, mine would do Auto Lane Change at that time.

If it's the police, they might interpret that as cutting them off. The video would prove that the car only moved to the destination lane because the police didn't increase their speed.

If that car speeds up, mine would cancel or wait till that car passed me then it would continue to Auto Lane Change.

It does try to scare off that car as well by signaling its lane change intention first then slightly move off toward that direction as if it would move to the destination lane but its final decision to move out of the current lane or not depends on the change of speed of that adjacent car.

Good luck with trying to retrieve your video as instructed by earlier postings.

Reactions: GSP
OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!

OMG. Found all the clips. The car behaved impeccably. I have reviewed all the cameras. The car never got anywhere near cutting her off. She was not in the right lane when it moved from left to right. The car was always perfectly centered in the lanes, and took a very sharp hairpin exit and never left the lane. It also shows her following me for a mile before putting on her siren and lights. Criminal. Telsa has saved me!!!!
Perfect. I hope you lawyer up and stick it to them for harrassing you!

Awesome! Keep us posted if you don't mind, would love to hear how it turns out. I hope you consider at least filing a formal complaint against the officer involved.

My advice (not a lawyer). Get a lawyer, do NOT inform the police you have a video, discuss with lawyer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.