Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He exited from the fast lane? Regardless, the mask issue is not related to the incident that was dismissed. Even if he murdered someone with a firearm the officers should have a mask on.

You know, there are people like me that has lost people to covid-19. They went into the hospital like you did. But they did not recover. They died. One of them was a very kind person.

There is nothing wrong with a cop pulling you over for exiting from the fast lane right in front of another driver.
If he used the rear camera video as evidence of distances, he mislead the DA deliberately.

There is nothing wrong with a cop pulling you over for exiting from the fast lane right in front of another driver. I wish MORE people who drive like that would get their license pulled. You can always go up to the next ramp instead of driving like an arse.

Why is it misleading the DA? How do you know that if it were misleading the DA that he did it deliberately?

So you should never change lanes unless there are no vehicles anywhere behind you?

There is nothing in his narrative to indicate that the lane change was unsafe, other than the actions of an asshole cop. You have no issue with the cop refusing to wear a mask? You have no issue with the cop refusing to accept the results of the breathalyzer twice?

Oh could it be that your accident was caused, not by someone changing lanes unsafely, but by you accelerating in an attempt to prevent them from getting in front of you?

Why is it misleading the DA? How do you know that if it were misleading the DA that he did it deliberately?

So you should never change lanes unless there are no vehicles anywhere behind you?

There is nothing in his narrative to indicate that the lane change was unsafe, other than the actions of an asshole cop. You have no issue with the cop refusing to wear a mask? You have no issue with the cop refusing to accept the results of the breathalyzer twice?

Oh could it be that your accident was caused, not by someone changing lanes unsafely, but by you accelerating in an attempt to prevent them from getting in front of you?

Have you looked at recordings of your rear video? Do it and then reply.

Do you exit from the fast lane without checking your mirrors as well? Then you need your license pulled also.

Read his post. That is post #1. He exited from the fast lane without checking his mirrors. His words. Anyone who drives like that should have their license taken. When someone smashed into my motorcycle by doing that in '79, I required 12 pints of blood and they barely kept me alive. How would that save lives? Blood isn't free.

I don't believe a WORD after he admitted to driving like an idiot. He thinks driving like a kamikaze pilot is his personal right, F everyone else.

(in my crash, I could see the driver's head in his right side mirror. He slammed on his brakes and swerved across my lane, knocking the bars out of my hands. I wasn't even in the idiot's blind spot)

Last edited:

Do you exit from the fast lane without checking your mirrors as well? Then you need your license pulled also.

Read his post. That is post #1. He exited from the fast lane without checking his mirrors. His words. Anyone who drives like that should have their license taken. When someone smashed into my motorcycle by doing that in '79, I required 12 pints of blood and they barely kept me alive. How would that save lives? Blood isn't free.

I don't believe a WORD after he admitted to driving like an idiot. He thinks driving like a kamikaze pilot is his personal right, F everyone else.

(in my crash, I could see the driver's head in his right side mirror. He slammed on his brakes and swerved across my lane, knocking the bars out of my hands. I wasn't even in the idiot's blind spot)
True, he did not look in his mirror, but it was autopilot that changed lanes, and autopilot judged that it was safe to change lanes.

True, he did not look in his mirror, but it was autopilot that changed lanes, and autopilot judged that it was safe to change lanes.

The driver is in charge of safe operation. Not FSD+NoA (Fails Suddenly, Dramatically, Never Operates Acceptably). My wife and I played with it for 1000 miles in the last couple of days. It is terrible at deciding when it's safe to change lanes for an exit. It makes you appear to be drunk.

Last edited:
Huh? We sure get quickly polarized these days, it's inhuman. Results on the road are purdy darned good, considering the inevitability of human errors. If people chilled a little, and didn't start clawing from their corners, things would be better.

It was an unfortunate coincidence, nothing more. The ticket probably wasn't yet written while the OP was being stopped. IMHO it was the predictable result of the whole roadside interaction, once they were angry, had wasted resources, and had no DUI or other grounds.

A conciliatory tone gives everyone a little room not to lose face. Remember you're not dealing with very well-balanced individuals. I think that's the tack to take, even at this late date. Show the video, act surprised and contrite. Me cautious shy Senior is good. I don't think I'd mention anything about "Tesla NOA Autopilot", or masks, that's adding Elite 1% fuel to the fire.

In many countries a $100 bill in the insurance papers helps. But sometimes they get offended. $100 doesn't buy as much as it once did.

Last edited:
If anyone considers FSD as 'pretty good' as of Aug 1, 2020, they apparently drive worse than that. Which is terrifying. :D

AP is good (except the phantom braking). The driver selected lane changing algorithm is good. The NoA fully automatic lane changing is potentially lethal. I stopped it from hitting other vehicles at least 10 times in 1000 miles. It will also swerve across the gore point area on occasion. This area often has road debris in it. Good way to get a flat.

At least 10 times? REALLY? Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

You can ask my wife. It normally occurs when you are in the left lane on a 4 lane state hwy with a car in front you, and the next lane over has a car aft that is moving faster approaching you. It will time the lane change to hit the approaching car. These lane changes are programmed to keep you out of the passing lane, but they do not look far enough ahead to realize the right lane is moving far slower ahead. This happens normally when there is a semi or RV in the right lane and squirrels try to pass everybody to the right who are waiting to get around the truck. These squirrels are often moving over 90 mph.

I consider a near hit as when the car signals a lane change into an approaching car. I disable it when it does it rather than wait for the impact.

The #1 fault of AP/FSD/NoA is the same fault most human drivers have and 100% of BMW drivers have:

They never look ahead more than a car length to make lane change decisions or speed change decisions.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: recluce
@MXLRplus the "leaving passing lane" behavior stopped working completely on HW2.5, and is not strictly followed now on HW3. They're working on algorithms all the time. Nothing suggests they are "only looking one car length ahead", that couldn't work for any freeway driving at all. I've never seen what you describe, that would be insane, but I'm in a Model 3 with HW3 FSD, not an X, and everything also changes with new versions, so it could be a new problem.

Save some video clips, upload them somewhere they can view them, and get in touch with Tesla. When I once had a "close call" with an oncoming car on the right, that scared me, I made a fuss, they kept the car for 3 days and went over the footage. FWIW in my case they concluded the car was not changing lanes, it was drifting wide on a curve.

@MXLRplus the "leaving passing lane" behavior stopped working completely on HW2.5, and is not strictly followed now on HW3. They're working on algorithms all the time. Nothing suggests they are "only looking one car length ahead", that couldn't work for any freeway driving at all. I've never seen what you describe, that would be insane, but I'm in a Model 3 with HW3 FSD, not an X, and everything also changes with new versions, so it could be a new problem.

Save some video clips, upload them somewhere they can view them, and get in touch with Tesla. When I once had a "close call" with an oncoming car on the right, that scared me, I made a fuss, they kept the car for 3 days and went over the footage. FWIW in my case they concluded the car was not changing lanes, it was drifting wide on a curve.

I will need an 'in car' video. I'll see what I can do. It's not safe to relinquish control of the car when the automatic lane change function goes hot so I will have come up with a solution. Note that if you focus your camera on the road or mirrors, it darkens the dash, and if you focus on the dash it washes out the windshield and mirrors You are incorrect concerning 'exit fast lane' demands made by HW3 NoA as of 2020.28.5. The NoA automatic lane change function still generates unnecessary moves and stiil does not look far enough ahead or behind for safe driving.

The 'drifting wide' error is caused by the same issue. If the car analyzed the entire curve and allowed for the chassis reaction time, it would corner like a sober driver. But it doesn't. Think about my claim that NoA does not look far enough up and down the road next time it does something weird. That one is easy for me to map since it happens daily at the same points.

My whole contention in this thread is that it is entirely possible the OP did in fact cut off somebody during a NoA lane change based on his description of the event, the officer's claim, and my experience as a professional driver/instructor who has evaluated the software very recently.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
This thread has gotten too acrimonious, and I apologize for my involvement in that. I'm out of the thread as soon as I post this reply.

I hope you don't take anything I say personally. My pet peeve about the deterioration of today's drivers can upset some people. In this thread the OP seems to be bragging about his lack of talent on the road and blaming everyone but his own incompetence on getting pulled over.

He mentions C19 so much concerning his bad driving that it sounds like a CNN news article. If he drove his Tesla like a responsible adult, this thread would not exist since he would not have been pulled over to begin with.

I'm not justifying anything the cops did except pulling the OP over. But I sure wish he would have gotten his license pulled. Ditto for all people who blame their poor driving on Tesla. Perhaps the world simply is not ready for advanced driver's aids. It makes some people drive even worse than before.

First, your words are extremely confrontational, which is totally uncalled for.

Second, the OP said he didn't check his rearview mirror, he made no mention of side mirrors.

Third, regardless of his egregious error, the police officer wasn't pulling him over for not checking his mirror.

Fourth, this has nothing to do with your unfortunate accident. You are expressing your anger over your accident and applying it to the OP.

Fifth, watch the video, even with his error of not looking in his rearview mirror, there was nothing "idiot"ic or "kamikaze" like about his driving.

Six, I too have been knocked down on a bike after the driver and I made eye contact. It's nuts, but I'm not going to apply my anger about that to a totally separate incident.

First, your words are extremely confrontational, which is totally uncalled for.

Second, the OP said he didn't check his rearview mirror, he made no mention of side mirrors.

Third, regardless of his egregious error, the police officer wasn't pulling him over for not checking his mirror.

Fourth, this has nothing to do with your unfortunate accident. You are expressing your anger over your accident and applying it to the OP.

Fifth, watch the video, even with his error of not looking in his rearview mirror, there was nothing "idiot"ic or "kamikaze" like about his driving.

Six, I too have been knocked down on a bike after the driver and I made eye contact. It's nuts, but I'm not going to apply my anger about that to a totally separate incident.

First, bad driving should never be condoned on a automotive enthusiast site.
Second, if the OP checked his right side mirror, he would know how far away the car was, and would not have said he didn't know. If I had to guess, I'd say if he checked his right side mirror, he would not have been pulled over.
Third, if the OP checked his mirrors, he probably would not have gotten pulled over.
Fourth, just because he didn't kill someone today, doesn't mean he's not a serious threat to others.
Fifth, you cannot judge distances or even grossly approximate them using the cameras Tesla installed aft. Don't take my word for it. Test it yourself.
Six, my anger is at all the Tesla 'drivers' who encourage his driving style, not just him.

The AP/FSD/NoA system is the best compromise at our level of tech today. But it is far from safe unless used by an attentive driver. Which the OP admits he's not one of, yet he uses the system anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.