Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket for Lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most all patrol cars will activate their cameras when blue lights are cut on. I pass this on as a tip to others in case you have a similar experience in the future. In our area, the camera tape is removed at end of shift and 'preserved' for a three day period. This is in case of any question, charge, or complaint that might arise. What you do if you need the tape, is deliver a letter to the department demanding the tape be held for evidence and produced in court if needed. if you feel the camera on the patrol unit will be of benefit to your side. In this case, I am guessing the lights were activated after the lane change, so it would be of no benefit. I not prejudging, but I wonder why other cars responded and you were detained. That may not work in your favor if you try going to court with an attorney.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
...your ludicrous statement...

Let's get back to this thread.

So:

Was there a crime or a safety issue to stop the Tesla?

Is it about it's unsafe to change lane when the patrol car was far away behind in the adjacent lane?

Or was it a warning to civilians that please give the officer some respect and please don't cut off even in a distance far away and doing in a safe manner.

• Disagree
Reactions: SlimJim
Let’s see if we can get this discussion back on track. Based on the video, this appears to be a New York State Police vehicle from Troop C - Zone 3. So with regard to the offense and NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law:

The statements “I was given a citation for reckless driving” and “The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY” are ambiguous and the difference is an important distinction. Were you ticketed for 1212 Reckless Driving or 1128(a) Unsafe Lane Change? One is a simple 3-point moving violation and the other is a traffic misdemeanor. If you were cited for 1212 you absolutely need a lawyer. If you are convicted of this it will show on your record as a criminal conviction. It’s a big deal.

Based on the video, I see nothing to substantiate that charge so I’m going to assume you were ticketed for 1128(a). Personally I don’t see anything in the video that in and of itself supports the charge, but you said in the original post “Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes, which obviously was a mistake on my part.” If that was said during the traffic stop, or observed by the Trooper, that would certainly meet the criteria. You did commit that offense by your own admission. Changing lanes without looking in your mirrors is an unsafe lane change. Here is the text of 1128(a):

A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.

With regard to the situation as a whole, you made a minor, but unsafe lane change and were driving for an extended period of time with your blinker on during a holiday weekend. That is enough reasonable suspicion to stop you to investigate the possibility of a DWI. Had the situation gone differently, the Trooper probably would have let you go with a warning but unfortunately when the Trooper approached without a mask, it devolved into a pissing match between you and her and the other responding troopers that were trying to ascertain whether you were under the influence. I don’t know what the NYSP’s current policy is regarding masks, but it’s definitely something for you or your attorney to look into and go from there. As for the moving violation, hopefully the video is compelling enough that your attorney can get a dismissal. Good luck. Keep us updated.

If what happened to des16 happened to me and I caught the " rona " my legal team would be petitioning the court to have all those " serve and protect " public servants who won't mask up tested and if any came back positive or had anti-bodies I would be eagerly awaiting a large settlement unless of course I died then my estate would be eagerly awaiting a massive settlement.

It was after midnight when I very agitated that I was sharing my story. There is only one small revision. The citation states: MOVED FROM LANE UNSAFELY. Having reviewed the attached rear and side view videos, it is really not clear what she is referring to since there are two lane changes from the time that she first appears on my rear and side camera. Here is the link to the dropbox video of rear camera: Dropbox - rear_camera copy.mov - Simplify your life.

That lane change at 1:12 is unsafe for sure, and a jerky move that would piss off any driver. As for the masks, that one's on them. So maybe call it a draw?!?

I absolutely did not cut anyone off. The vehicle was changing lanes, not abruptly, to pass the car in front of me, when the cop came up on me at a speed far in excess of the speed limit. The lane change was a result of the slow speed of the vehicle in front of me. Furthermore, after passing the slow moving car in front of me, the car needed to get into the right lane to make the exit. But, it was not going to exceed the speed limit. So, it waited for the truck on the right to pass in order to get into the right lane in time to get to the off ramp. The only alternative to that maneuver would have been to speed ahead of the truck in excess of the speed limit. If I was not on NOA, I probably would have done so. But NOA is more cautious and prudent.

Are you nuts? The car in front of you driving slower than you wish to be driving is absolutely no excuse for changing lanes in front of a car going faster than you, causing them to have to brake. It's unsafe and rude. Then you kept that car going slower while you waited to get back in the lane you should have been in in the first place? Ugh. Please pursue this law suit and live stream the trial. It will be amusing.

This thread would make a good podcast series, maybe 3-4 episodes. Produce voice plus YouTube too so all the video from the incident and court appearances can be included. Maybe interview the cop after all is resolved if you can get her. By far the most interesting thread I’ve read here in 3 years! Thanks to contributors too. Oh! And include contributors’ comments too to push the narrative.

While I will be the first to admit it is annoying when someone turns into your lane that is driving slower than you. That said if the tesla was driven at the speed limit as we all should be doing including the police unless they have lights and or sirens on to exceed the speed limit then it would be fair to argue that it would have been a safe lane change. I totally agree that I would be pissed off if it happened to me, but the police officer in my opinion was breaking the law by going over the speed limit in the first place.
That lane change at 1:12 is unsafe for sure, and a jerky move that would piss off any driver. As for the masks, that one's on them. So maybe call it a draw?!?

Reactions: wenkan
Based on the video, I see nothing to substantiate that charge so I’m going to assume you were ticketed for 1128(a). Personally I don’t see anything in the video that in and of itself supports the charge, but you said in the original post “Since I was on autopilot I did not look in my rear view mirror before allowing the car to change lanes, which obviously was a mistake on my part.” If that was said during the traffic stop, or observed by the Trooper, that would certainly meet the criteria. You did commit that offense by your own admission. Changing lanes without looking in your mirrors is an unsafe lane change. Here is the text of 1128(a):

A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.

With regard to the situation as a whole, you made a minor, but unsafe lane change and were driving for an extended period of time with your blinker on during a holiday weekend. That is enough reasonable suspicion to stop you to investigate the possibility of a DWI. Had the situation gone differently, the Trooper probably would have let you go with a warning but unfortunately when the Trooper approached without a mask, it devolved into a pissing match between you and her and the other responding troopers that were trying to ascertain whether you were under the influence. I don’t know what the NYSP’s current policy is regarding masks, but it’s definitely something for you or your attorney to look into and go from there. As for the moving violation, hopefully the video is compelling enough that your attorney can get a dismissal. Good luck. Keep us updated.

driving with your blinker on is ground for DUI stop investigation? my goodness. I don't think blinker on is a valid stop (blinker being the ONLY reason)

if op will lose if he says he didn't look before changing lanes. OP needs to delete this thread if he goes to court on this

I need to see exactly (measure) how far away the cop was before the lane change. if cop was speeding then he was in the wrong too

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
...if cop was speeding then he was in the wrong too

Police must obey the speed limit while patrolling and not responding to a call.

Thus, can this officer claim that she was stepping on the accelerator to answer a call on this very Tesla, can't she?

The officer can also claim: You've watched the movie "The Minority Report" haven't you? That's when crime in the future was able to be seen at the current, or otherwise, how else there were the backup officers and how else there's a ticket in this thread?

@Tam

As I stated in a previous post. No one here, including you, knows if the Officer was actually trying to catch up to a car in front of the OP's vehicle, and the OP changing lanes made her decide to stop him instead.

If the Mod's on the board didnt censor and remove all the pro Police conversations, in this thread, and leave all the anti Police comments, it would be on here for people to read. Sigh.

...No one here, including you, knows if the Officer was actually trying to catch up to a car in front of the OP's vehicle, and the OP changing lanes made her decide to stop him instead...

Usually, when blocked by another car (Tesla in this cas) while In pursuit of the car in front, the officer would turn on the lights and siren to complete the pursuit.

Until there's a front view video, it's still speculation whether reasonable or not.

If I understand correctly, the ticket was issued for “Moved from lane unsafely”. It seems to me that the proper test to demonstrate would be how the lane change was unsafe.

The lane change may have been impolite, but I don’t see the unsafe aspect of it.

I don’t imagine that in the US there are traffic penalties for impoliteness. I could see that where I live in Canada, but not in the US. :)

From the clip I measured the time distance between OP's car and the police car at the time of lane change.
I timed how long the paint strip takes to get to the police car after it emerges from OP's rear bumper.
0.4 seconds.
At 45 miles per hour, in 0.4 seconds the strip travels 8 meters.
The two cars were 8 meters apart.
Considering Model 3 is 4.7 meter long, 8 meters is just about the same distance as a parallel parking space.
At 45 mph, 8 meter distance or 0.4 second interval will feel too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.