Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticket While Using AUTO-PILOT " Failure To Stay In Lane" "Reckless"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving from Alaska through Canada I forgot about the whole metric thing and ended driving 100 mph for a couple hours but boy was it fun.

Yeah, the cops don't buy that excuse.

In Canada you could theoretically be ticketed for "obstructing traffic" but realistically it never happens. You drive 40km/hr in a 100km/hr zone and you are an extreme hazard, lots of people will be pissed off, but you won't likely get a ticket.

My grandmother got that ticket!

In Canada you could theoretically be ticketed for "obstructing traffic" but realistically it never happens. You drive 40km/hr in a 100km/hr zone and you are an extreme hazard, lots of people will be pissed off, but you won't likely get a ticket. do 111km/hr though and you'll likely get the ticket. That said, some (very few) high speed roadways do have posted minimum speeds, and in those places you'll get a ticket for going below that speed. (usually something like a limit of 100km/hr with a minimum of 60km/hr)

In Ontario at least, there are "minimum" speeds that correspond to the posted Maximum, but I've only ever seen Minimum Speeds posted in some US states. Here, in the pre-metric days, it used to be 20 MPH below the posted Maximum according to the Highway Traffic Act. So an old 60 MPH highway would have a minimum speed of 40 MPH. I guess that would translate to 100 km/h down to 60 km/h.

You could get a ticket for driving too slowly, but the only way you'd get an obstructing ticket is if you are going slower and don't keep to the right. As long as you stay to the right and are between the Minimum and Maximum speed, you're golden. Unfortunately I see way too many people who don't stay right and cruise in the center or left passing lanes on multi-lane highways. Only the right lane should be used unless you are overtaking someone.

- - - Updated - - -

My grandmother got that ticket!

Sure. 40 km/h in a 100 zone is below the Minimum Speed Limit.

Here in MA, it's $50 up to +10mph, then $10 for each additional mph.
All moving violations are subject to surcharge points on your (mandatory) insurance that cost you for 6 years.

So ya, worth fighting +3mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I just looked it up. I guess it's been quite a while since I got caught.
$105 for the 1st 10 over, then $10 each additional mph.
Plus insurance surcharges of course.