TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ticketed for parking Roadster in alternative-fuel area

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by cinergi, Jun 22, 2012.

1. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Not sure what forum this fits in but here goes ...
    I parked at Logan in the alternative-fuel area.. got a ticket ... I appealed it and won but the letter said I might not win in the future because I need a sticker that clearly marks the car as electric because the staff can't tell what is and isn't electric. Um, OK. Is there a standard? I dunno. I call Tesla -- not aware of anything federal or state (massachusetts). I call Mass Port (resposible for parking @ Logan airport) and they have no idea either. "Uh, so what do I do?" "Keep appealing it I guess"
    Ugh.
    Maybe I'll print my own professional-looking sticker. Or maybe I'll just put a post-in note on the car.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

ignorance and bureaucracy

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If they don't know enough to know which cars are electric, they should not be allowed to be writing tickets. They should fire the one who wrote the ticket for being unable to do the job properly.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Does the car have a tailpipe? No, then it's most likely an EV. It's not rocket science, but made by those who associate with them :wink:

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I have a cool "ELECTRIC" sticker on my back window. Great conversion starter and you would never see it if not looking for some identification,

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

In California there is a special sticker you have to get, IIRC it cost $2, that says you're allowed to use electric chargers! Without it, you're not...

7. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I believe those stickers are now worthless and no longer needed. AFAIK, recent law is that to park in an EV spot you need to be connected to the charger.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

These spots had no chargers. Was for AF vehicles. There were spots with chargers but I didn't park there cuz I didn't need a charge and didn't want to tie one up for a week ...

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was responding to ggr, who, like me, is based in California.

I have no idea what the situation in Boston is, except that I've seen EV charging spots near Govt Center and saw a Volt charging once.

10. dmckinstry

dmckinstry Model S - U.S. P - #1649

Just tell them to stick the ticket in your exhaust pipe.

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Two possible options like a vanity plate that says 0 GAS or something similar. Or a vinyl sticker. I may get one that saya Plug & Play with an electric car symbol. They stick on and peel off with ease.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

@cinergi: please post your solution when you get to one. I have a personal interest in the answer!

13. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

Maybe this is an obvious question, but was it plugged in?

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

15. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Exactly this point... Put sticker in the window... "NOTE: To the uneducated and/or lame parking attendant enforcement agents - this car *is* EV, no tailpipe, and lift fuel filler door for confirmation. :tongue:"

16. shark2k

shark2k Member

Cinergi responded there were no chargers in the spots and he didn't park where chargers were because he didn't want to take them up for a week.

-Shark2k

17. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

It's a little disheartening to see that they dont expect more than 10,000 in the state. (assuming they are using only numbers and not letters)

19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's so that when they get over 10,000 they can make everyone get a new sticker.

20. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Ticketed again. Even with an 8 1/2 X 11 sign indicating the car is electric. I feel like going and parking every day and contesting every ticket until they get pissed off enough to fix their @#$! :cursing: I need to find someone @ massport I can talk to ... sigh