TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ticketing for no front plate in Santa Monica and stick-on front plate option

Discussion in 'California' started by caltechkid, Apr 7, 2019.

1. caltechkid

caltechkid Member

How serious of a concern is ticketing for no front license plate? I'm wondering whether to avoid this location altogether if ticketing is pervasive (it'd be annoying, but possible to avoid) or just roll the dice since it's not necessarily a focused but more of a random enforcement. This is for a Monday somewhere in between 10am-2pm.

Thanks all for any thoughts.

2. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

I have heard it is significant over there. I have been victimized just across the street two times!

I finally purchased that stick on vinyl California license plate which is sold by this guy who has some connection with the DMV. When I paid him the money online, I first got a letter from the DMV authorizing me to have the stick on license plate and then a week later the plates showed up. Problem solved

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

You mind posting up link for that stick on plate ?

4. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

https://licenseplatewrap.com/?fbclid=IwAR0qcDmvccrSb_ewJe9e-V-7UsWvOgLsMt18G7pxTC2msaLMVhMgEXeKs4U

Worth every cent. I was completely dubious but I figured if it doesn’t work I’ll just make a dispute with the credit card. But it looks like it was legitimate! Surprise that I hadn’t heard anything about this through official channels. Seems like this guy has some sort of inside connection with the DMV in California.

• Helpful x 2
  5. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Can you take it off and put it back on like a cling sticker? Or does it have to stay on more or less permanently? The website doesn't seem to cover that in the FAQ.

6. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Permanent.

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I guess I’m at a loss. Why is a permanent sticker that looks like an ugly license plate better than an ugly license plate?

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  8. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Aerodynamics: some 5-10% range improvement by regaining the aero on the front end.

Appearance: not jutting out, more “form fitting” with the beautiful curvature of the car.

• Like x 1
  9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Very interesting! It's cheaper than some of the aftermarket license plate frames. As far as California DMV adopting new license plate solutions, this one is more compelling to me than the $750 digital plate.

• Love x 1
  10. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Ah, too bad.

11. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Q10: Is License Plate Wrap (LPW) street legal?

A: Yes, as long you participate in the pilot program and received a letter from the DMV.

12. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

5-10%? No way, sorry. Car aerodynamics don't work like that. You could mount a statue of Buddha on your front bumper and it wouldn't make that difference.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
  13. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. Need

Need Active Member

Santa Monica street parking
    Beverly Hills street parking
    LAX long term parking

Those are the places I know in the Greater LA area that you will get a no front plate ticket. Also you could be stopped at the check point entering the LAX departure ramp. A few times I have been asked "where is your front plate?" I didn't get a ticket but probably got stopped because of that.

• Like x 1
  15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

This company doesn't address the street legality issue though. Without the CA DMV letter, if you get stopped for having a fake plate, you can't prove that you are participating in the approved pilot program.

• Like x 2
  16. Sky-Pilot

Sky-Pilot Member

17. Sky-Pilot

Sky-Pilot Member

Here's a bunch more on e-mail, remote controlled: ebay

18. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    If you buy the $50 "plate", does licenseplatewrap.com do the DMV paperwork for you?

19. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Answered my own question. I checked with them via email and their response is that they do handle the DMV paperwork. So I've ordered a front "plate" for our Model 3.

• Informative x 1
  20. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Got one in SM without any other violation. Paid and done....