TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ticketing for no front plate in Santa Monica and stick-on front plate option

Discussion in 'California' started by caltechkid, Apr 7, 2019.

1. dethman

dethman Member

10%? No freakin way.

• Like x 3
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You need to justify that assertion with data, because your claim is implausible.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  3. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Sorry - not “my” claim. Don’t believe it myself - seems way too much. Someone on another thread on Facebook said it... meant to say it was “claimed” benefit.

• Informative x 1
  4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for clarifying

“Someone...on Facebook said it” means essentially nothing. :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Yeah, it is probably that same 400 pound guy sitting in bed who hacked Hillary's email.

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

We have had 3 no front plate tickets in our 3 years of ownership, two in West Hollywood and one in Santa Monica.

7. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

#27 willow_hiller, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
    I was curious about this aerodynamics claim, and found this thread on the Tesla forum about a Model S front plate Does front license plate affect range and drag coefficient? Yes, 11% | Tesla

Evidently it represents an 11% increase in the drag coefficient, but nobody could agree on if that would affect the range noticably.

Edit: And I'm not even sure that thread's author is correctly interpreting those numbers. The front plate caused 11% of the drag, but does that mean that removing it would reduce drag by 11%? Or would the percent of drag on the bumper increase by roughly 11%?

• Informative x 1
  8. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    We put on our “plate” from licenseplatewrap.com last week, and Autopilot quit working on our Model 3, with “front radar limited visibility” errors. I’m not sure how this would be caused by the plate decal, but the timing doesn’t look good. To muddy the waters, a new software update had just been installed on the car. I’ve been waiting for Tesla to get back to us with a Mobile Service appointment (for another issue as well).

In the meantime, I’ve been tempted to pull off the plate decal, as Autopilot is a lot more important to us than having an optimal front “plate”. But if a decal interferes with the radar, then how would an actual plate in the same location not be even worse?

• Informative x 1
  9. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Member

The real plate is mounted pretty low (it's got a lip that goes underneath the main rim). You can see the official bracket in my profile picture. Absolutely 0 problems with front radar. Where did you place your decal?

10. abasile

Maybe I did place it a little high. Here's a photo:
    IMG_7787.png

Ours is about 1-2cm higher than the one in this photo from licenseplatewrap.com:
    cr=w-1600,h-1000,a-cc.jpeg

I wouldn't think that'd be a problem, but looking at photos of used Model 3 cars online, it appears that I did place the license plate higher than most but not all other cars. Another issue is that I had a little difficulty laying the sticker flat, and it has some creases, though it's not a huge issue aesthetically (in my opinion).

11. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

#31 Eno Deb, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Yes, you have partially blocked the radar. Probably the stickers contain some kind of metallic foil. Here's an image showing the location of the radar module (source: Twitter). It's the black rectangular device below the hood left of center.

[​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. abasile

Sure enough, over the weekend, we removed the license plate decal and the front radar started working again. I'm going to try to acquire a new decal (not for the full $50, though) and mount it much lower.

• Like x 2
  13. abasile

So, I finally got around to asking licenseplatewrap.com to send me a replacement decal for a reduced price. After I shared the above Model 3 photo from their website, with the decal mounted relatively high, they agreed to send me a new decal at no charge and they're going to remove that photo from their site to avoid further confusion. Very happy that they're making an effort to take care of me as a customer!

• Like x 3
  14. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

Where's the front radar in the (refresh) S and the X?

15. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I don't have a picture, but on the S it's in basically the same location as on the 3. Just put the wrap where the regular plate would normally be (centered directly above the opening of the air intake) and it should be fine.

16. abasile

• Like x 3
  17. sceptic

sceptic Member

How hard was it to remove - did it damage the paint?

18. abasile

It was a pain to remove and took a while, but probably because it had not been on there long, I don’t see any paint damage.

19. garygid

garygid Member

If the car was coated with Ceramic Pro:
    1. Would normal 3M clear vinyl stick properly?
    2. Would the LPW stick properly?
    3. When one applies 3M vinyl, one usually floods the surface with Rubbing Alcohol.
    When applying the LPW, does one do the same thing?
    4. To conform the LPW to a compound curve like on the Model 3,
    does one use a heat gun to stretch the LPW, or is there a different technique?
    Thanks, Gary

20. garygid

garygid Member

To be sure to get the LPW off without harming the paint (red model 3),
    has anybody applied a layer of clear 3M vinyl first, then applied the LPW
    on the clear vinyl?
    Suggestions?
    Thanks, Gary