Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticketing for no front plate in Santa Monica and stick-on front plate option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4. To conform the LPW to a compound curve like on the Model 3, does one use a heat gun to stretch the LPW, or is there a different technique?
Hi Gary, nice to see you on here! The first time I affixed the LPW (License Plate Wrap) to our family's Model 3, I worked from the top down, as per the instructions. Unfortunately, there ended up being some small creases that I just couldn't smooth out. When I got a second chance (as described above), I started by sticking the right side on first, and worked my way over to the left. This worked much better, and we ended up with no creases. You do have to be fairly careful, of course.

To be sure to get the LPW off without harming the paint (red model 3), has anybody applied a layer of clear 3M vinyl first, then applied the LPW on the clear vinyl?
I don't know, but I decided not to worry about the underlying paint. The chances of us ever removing the LPW and leaving that area of the bumper completely empty are pretty low. I suppose that could happen if we were to move to Arizona or another state that doesn't require front license plates, but we have zero inclination to leave SoCal.

To be sure to get the LPW off without harming the paint (red model 3),
has anybody applied a layer of clear 3M vinyl first, then applied the LPW
on the clear vinyl?
Suggestions?
Thanks, Gary

I applied Mother’s CMX Ceramic Spray Coating to the entire car a few months prior. I reapplied an extra coating to the front bumper.

I had my local car wrap shop cut me a piece of PPF (Paint Protection Film) about 1/16” larger than the vinyl plate. I installed the vinyl plate to the PPF film using a top-down method with perfect results. Finally, I applied the PPF with the vinyl plate directly to the front bumper. I did remove it twice to get air bubbles out and reapply without any issues.

Reactions: MelaniainLA