Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticketing for no front plate in Santa Monica and stick-on front plate option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious about this aerodynamics claim, and found this thread on the Tesla forum about a Model S front plate Does front license plate affect range and drag coefficient? Yes, 11% | Tesla

Evidently it represents an 11% increase in the drag coefficient, but nobody could agree on if that would affect the range noticably.

Edit: And I'm not even sure that thread's author is correctly interpreting those numbers. The front plate caused 11% of the drag, but does that mean that removing it would reduce drag by 11%? Or would the percent of drag on the bumper increase by roughly 11%?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
We put on our “plate” from licenseplatewrap.com last week, and Autopilot quit working on our Model 3, with “front radar limited visibility” errors. I’m not sure how this would be caused by the plate decal, but the timing doesn’t look good. To muddy the waters, a new software update had just been installed on the car. I’ve been waiting for Tesla to get back to us with a Mobile Service appointment (for another issue as well).

In the meantime, I’ve been tempted to pull off the plate decal, as Autopilot is a lot more important to us than having an optimal front “plate”. But if a decal interferes with the radar, then how would an actual plate in the same location not be even worse?

We put on our “plate” from licenseplatewrap.com last week, and Autopilot quit working on our Model 3, with “front radar limited visibility” errors. I’m not sure how this would be caused by the plate decal, but the timing doesn’t look good. To muddy the waters, a new software update had just been installed on the car. I’ve been waiting for Tesla to get back to us with a Mobile Service appointment (for another issue as well).

In the meantime, I’ve been tempted to pull off the plate decal, as Autopilot is a lot more important to us than having an optimal front “plate”. But if a decal interferes with the radar, then how would an actual plate in the same location not be even worse?

The real plate is mounted pretty low (it's got a lip that goes underneath the main rim). You can see the official bracket in my profile picture. Absolutely 0 problems with front radar. Where did you place your decal?

The real plate is mounted pretty low (it's got a lip that goes underneath the main rim). You can see the official bracket in my profile picture. Absolutely 0 problems with front radar. Where did you place your decal?
Maybe I did place it a little high. Here's a photo:
IMG_7787.png

Ours is about 1-2cm higher than the one in this photo from licenseplatewrap.com:
cr=w-1600,h-1000,a-cc.jpeg

I wouldn't think that'd be a problem, but looking at photos of used Model 3 cars online, it appears that I did place the license plate higher than most but not all other cars. Another issue is that I had a little difficulty laying the sticker flat, and it has some creases, though it's not a huge issue aesthetically (in my opinion).

So, I finally got around to asking licenseplatewrap.com to send me a replacement decal for a reduced price. After I shared the above Model 3 photo from their website, with the decal mounted relatively high, they agreed to send me a new decal at no charge and they're going to remove that photo from their site to avoid further confusion. Very happy that they're making an effort to take care of me as a customer!

If the car was coated with Ceramic Pro:
1. Would normal 3M clear vinyl stick properly?
2. Would the LPW stick properly?
3. When one applies 3M vinyl, one usually floods the surface with Rubbing Alcohol.
When applying the LPW, does one do the same thing?
4. To conform the LPW to a compound curve like on the Model 3,
does one use a heat gun to stretch the LPW, or is there a different technique?
Thanks, Gary