Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ticking" from contact between sunroof and gasket - annoying as hell!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2015 Model S 85D - for the most part its been great. I had Tesla lubricate and adjust my subroof, because it was skipping oddly upon opening and closing. The lubrication seemed to work well. However, ever since, right where the glass meets it's gasket when closed (right above the rearview mirror), it sounds like there is just enough play that there is a pretty constant "ticking" noise. It sounds like the glass and gasket are making the noise, and if I take my index finger and just push up on the front of the glass, it stops. Took it in to Tesla. They "fixed" by adding a small strip of felt to the front of the window, but it is still doing it. Anyone experience this before, and what was the final fix?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Happens sometimes with mine on very cold days. Opening and closing (vent) helps sometimes. But not always.
I’ve had lot of work done on the pano roof and now just am glad it works so mostly living with the rattles as they are. Which in my case is quite minimal and not constant.

Sorry, can’t help more than sympathize.

I get squeaks from the small metal clip at the front center of the sunroof on my '14 P85. The Service Centers fixed it by applying layers of UHMW "anti-squeak tape" on the top surface of the clip, but it wears out eventually. After the last tech showed me what to do, I bought a roll of the tape and re-apply 4-5 layers when it starts squeaking again.

Takes all of 10 minutes, including pulling off the old tape.

WOD UHMW "slick tape"

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinP
Excellent point, forgot about this.
I read once an interesting thread on TMC and I bought this, that I apply now and then.
I suppose it does help

Gummi Pfledge fixes the squeaks for me every time. Only need to apply it every two-three months here in the PNW.

I drive a 2015 Model S 85D - for the most part its been great. I had Tesla lubricate and adjust my subroof, because it was skipping oddly upon opening and closing. The lubrication seemed to work well. However, ever since, right where the glass meets it's gasket when closed (right above the rearview mirror), it sounds like there is just enough play that there is a pretty constant "ticking" noise. It sounds like the glass and gasket are making the noise, and if I take my index finger and just push up on the front of the glass, it stops. Took it in to Tesla. They "fixed" by adding a small strip of felt to the front of the window, but it is still doing it. Anyone experience this before, and what was the final fix?
Yes, this drove me nuts for awhile untill I figured it out. In my case, the ticking sound was the glass tapping against the raw metal frame. IIR, there are two rubber tabs along the front edge of the window frame. They act as a spacer to support the glass when closed. When the window opened, it dragged the rubber off the mount, and when closed it would tap there on the bare metal. I found one on the floor not knowing what it was (neither did the Ranger). Good thing I saved it. Open the glass a bit and really look in there with a flashlight and be sure they are in place. No need for felt strips.

Yes, this drove me nuts for awhile untill I figured it out. In my case, the ticking sound was the glass tapping against the raw metal frame. IIR, there are two rubber tabs along the front edge of the window frame. They act as a spacer to support the glass when closed. When the window opened, it dragged the rubber off the mount, and when closed it would tap there on the bare metal. I found one on the floor not knowing what it was (neither did the Ranger). Good thing I saved it. Open the glass a bit and really look in there with a flashlight and be sure they are in place. No need for felt strips.
I looked into the area today - I see a large block of rubber on the sides - all the way to the top of the doors. Are these what you are referencing?