Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ticking" issues on new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may be that this is normal operation of the iBooster and that the ticking noise is normal. It might be possible to modify something in software to reduce the noise but I wouldn't count on it. It might also be possible to muffle the sound with some type of insulation (@artsci seems to be the expert here, but he's completely absorbed by "tire noise" now).
Since pre-iBooster cars do not make this ticking noise, I don't feel that it's a "normal" part of the Model S experience. The iBooster is an implementation detail and should be revisited if it detracts from that experience. I do hope you're right about the possibility of fixing this in software; if it's a software-driven polling interval, then perhaps it doesn't need to poll nearly as often, or can be event-driven. Possibly physical noise insulation is needed as well.

It's ironic that since the car is so quiet that every little noise becomes an issue. If this were a roaring Ferrari ICE, do you think anyone would hear or care about this ticking?
But it's not a roaring Ferrari ICE, so that's a straw man. This is a Tesla Model S, the most advanced electric vehicle on the market, and one that's expected not to compromise on the luxury sedan experience.

Since pre-iBooster cars do not make this ticking noise, I don't feel that it's a "normal" part of the Model S experience. The iBooster is an implementation detail and should be revisited if it detracts from that experience. I do hope you're right about the possibility of fixing this in software; if it's a software-driven polling interval, then perhaps it doesn't need to poll nearly as often, or can be event-driven. Possibly physical noise insulation is needed as well.

But it's not a roaring Ferrari ICE, so that's a straw man. This is a Tesla Model S, the most advanced electric vehicle on the market, and one that's expected not to compromise on the luxury sedan experience.

Took my car into the service center in Costa Mesa yesterday to have my center console installed and went on a ride with the shop foreman. He knew exactly what I was talking about before the ride and confirmed it during the ride. Unfortunately, he said the sound is "normal" and the iBooster needs to perform self-check every 4 seconds. I let him know that while Tesla might see this as normal, is most definitely is not normal in my eyes -- and is very annoying.

No mention of a future fix, etc... I left disappointed but happy to be a part of this forum -- I figure someone here will get the "fix" if there ever is one before I know about it. So I still have hope!

Took my car into the service center in Costa Mesa yesterday to have my center console installed and went on a ride with the shop foreman. He knew exactly what I was talking about before the ride and confirmed it during the ride. Unfortunately, he said the sound is "normal" and the iBooster needs to perform self-check every 4 seconds. I let him know that while Tesla might see this as normal, is most definitely is not normal in my eyes -- and is very annoying.

No mention of a future fix, etc... I left disappointed but happy to be a part of this forum -- I figure someone here will get the "fix" if there ever is one before I know about it. So I still have hope!
That's too bad, and I definitely felt the same disappointment as you when given the line about it being "normal" operation. We're being told to put up with an incessant clicking noise that mars one of the car's best features: its super-silent interior. That does not seem anywhere close to right.

But I also have to consider that Tesla is constantly pushing the envelope, and we're out on the leading/bleeding edge of that for the moment. They are almost certainly keeping track of top customer-reported issues, so I do have hope as well that this will eventually get resolved.

Just curious, how loud does it sound standing outside the vehicle? Does it happen when the car is on but in park or only in drive? What about neutral with parking brake engaged on center console? Does it happen at a full stop or only >0mph? What about in reverse?

Just curious, how loud does it sound standing outside the vehicle? Does it happen when the car is on but in park or only in drive? What about neutral with parking brake engaged on center console? Does it happen at a full stop or only >0mph? What about in reverse?

In my particular case, I only hear it in drive - not in park. It seems that I need to be moving to hear it - I don't hear it if I put the car in drive and sit still. The tick is about as loud as an old school ticking clock. I have not heard it in reverse either.

You won't be able to hear it at all outside the car. It's about as loud as a whisper. For most it seems to happen in drive at exactly 25 MPH and up.

I have pretty good ears, and I can not hear this sound in my P85D at all. The car is silent aside from normal road noise. *shrugs*

So far most (if not all?) reports have been from owners of non-D models (but with autopilot hardware). I wonder if it's possible that the iBooster could be located in some other place in the D ...

Came across an old 2012 CNN interview with Elon Musk which seemed apropos to post in this thread. :)

ELON [while driving Model S]: "We're taking great pains to get rid of any noise, and to have it be the closest thing to being in a sound studio that you can be, without being in a sound studio."

PETER [in passenger seat]: "One challenge with that, that I know luxury car makers face, is a lot of times doing away with noise can be like sawing the legs on a table. You do away with one thing, and it just exposes some other noise somewhere else."

ELON: "Yes. It means you have to be perfect with respect to any noise intrusion in the car. Everything in the car has to be extremely quiet."

Not a Tesla owner (yet) or defender....

This is an interesting thread.

Two things come to mind... 1) Turn on some music.. problem solved. or 2) Ask that the offending part be isolated with some sound insulation. Perhaps one of the few handy types here on the forum can configure a suitable and safe sound deadening solution.

It looks like this issue may finally be resolved in the 2.2.115 update! :biggrin:

OHHH YEEEAAAH HAPPY DANCE!!!

For the last 4 months, the ticking had always occurred once when lifting my foot off the brake pedal, and then repeated every 4 seconds when travelling at or above 25 mph. Since installing the 115 update yesterday, I no longer hear any ticking! (Didn't notice the change right away because I've been in the habit of always having music on, just to avoid hearing it!)