Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticking noise behind dash - sounds like a hard drive seeking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this slight noise behind the dash while driving home today. It's very faint and generally only audible while stopped. I turned the AC and music off completely and the noise persisted. It sort of sounds like an old mechanical hard drive seeking. I know that's not it, but it is the closest similar sound that comes to mind. I wonder if a fan is failing or if a cable is getting into the blades of a fan. My MCU was recently replaced a week and a half ago, so I'm wondering if that's it.

Is there a fan on anything ehind the dash or is everything passively cooled?

Sorry, you're all off-base. The glue that holds down foam sealing in the HVAC system tends to attract tick-spiders, as it smells similar to their pheromones. They gather deep inside the dash at every joint of the HVAC system, mating and trying to get in.

But don't worry, Tesla's good about this; there are usually no cracks in the plenum where they could get in and blow in your face.

Last edited:
Sorry, you're all off-base. The glue that holds down foam sealing in the HVAC system tends to attract tick-spiders, as it smells similar to their pheromones. They gather deep inside the dash at every joint of the HVAC system, mating and trying to get in.

But don't worry, Tesla's good about this; there are usually no cracks in the plenum where they could get in and blow in your face.
Interesting but how does that explain the ticking?

Well most ppl think they're called 'tick spiders' because they look and bite like ticks. But it's actually because when they gather in large groups they get excited and make a ticking noise, like an old hard drive.

cryptocellus_iaci_ricinulei_01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I just bought a 2013 and I've explained the noise it's making as "like a hard drive noise," because it was the best description I could come up with. Like a "clicking" or "ticking" sound... very faint but very audible. this is the only thread I've found who's addressed this particular noise. How did this resolve was it a relatively inexpensive fix?