Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticking noise on acceleration and regen (not the single click or the acceleration shudder or the rocking chair creak)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a regular and repetitive ticking noise on my 2017 Model S 100D. I have scoured the forum (strange noises and vibrations are a popular subject), and this noise seems different from all the other noises being discussed. Below is a linked video of the sound:

It is prominent on acceleration and regeneration, and the ticking gets faster with increased the car speed. I assume it’s still there at highway speed, just either very fast or overwhelmed by road noise. The sound comes from the rear of the car and, while soft, can be heard in the cabin when the windows are up.

Attempted (failed) repairs: I have twice taken it to the SC. The first time they “performed molly coat and torqued the axle nuts” and reassured me it wasn’t a drive unit. The sound was gone for like 15 minutes and came back. The second time they replaced the left rear half shaft. The sound was softer, but not gone, and returned within a day. Maybe not quite as loud, but it’s coming back again.

It’s not the wheels or tires, because I tried switching to neutral while regenerating and the sound immediately disappears even though the car is still moving.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume it is not normal. Thanks!

I have an appointment with the SC next week. This will be the third attempt at fixing the noise. As I mentioned above, first they re-lubricated a rear half shaft and tightened the axle but. Then they replaced one of my rear half shafts. The noise did go away but came back almost immediately each time and progressively gets louder over time. I have not seen anybody else on the forum (or anywhere on the Internet) describe having this particular noise.

I’m becoming concerned that the SC can’t figure out what exactly it is, that this problem may be unique, and they don’t know how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas that I could suggest to the SC? Thanks in advance!

Update on ticking noise: SC said they need to replace the rear drive unit and the remaining rear half shaft. They are ordering the parts now. I’m surprised - my S is non-performance and was built December 2017 (thus the “small” rear drive unit). I thought these drive units were nearly bullet-proof by 2017.

Update: supply chain issue. I feel like I’m talking to nobody, but in case anyone is interested… I’m still waiting for the new drive unit since early December. SC claims there are supply chain issues. Meanwhile I’ve seen posts about newer Teslas getting replacement drive units within days. I suppose the delay it is not the SC’s fault, but the appointment has been pushed back four times now. They can’t give me even a ballpark ETA. Weeks of delay I can understand, but months? I’m getting frustrated and my initial excitement about owning a Tesla is wearing off.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
There is a regular and repetitive ticking noise on my 2017 Model S 100D. I have scoured the forum (strange noises and vibrations are a popular subject), and this noise seems different from all the other noises being discussed. Below is a linked video of the sound:

It is prominent on acceleration and regeneration, and the ticking gets faster with increased the car speed. I assume it’s still there at highway speed, just either very fast or overwhelmed by road noise. The sound comes from the rear of the car and, while soft, can be heard in the cabin when the windows are up.

Attempted (failed) repairs: I have twice taken it to the SC. The first time they “performed molly coat and torqued the axle nuts” and reassured me it wasn’t a drive unit. The sound was gone for like 15 minutes and came back. The second time they replaced the left rear half shaft. The sound was softer, but not gone, and returned within a day. Maybe not quite as loud, but it’s coming back again.

It’s not the wheels or tires, because I tried switching to neutral while regenerating and the sound immediately disappears even though the car is still moving.

I was thinking a screw in a tire. But, if it goes away in neutral it has to be the drivetrain.

Reactions: CMTwinDad

That doesn’t sound right.

I have an appointment with the SC next week. This will be the third attempt at fixing the noise. As I mentioned above, first they re-lubricated a rear half shaft and tightened the axle but. Then they replaced one of my rear half shafts. The noise did go away but came back almost immediately each time and progressively gets louder over time. I have not seen anybody else on the forum (or anywhere on the Internet) describe having this particular noise.

I’m becoming concerned that the SC can’t figure out what exactly it is, that this problem may be unique, and they don’t know how to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas that I could suggest to the SC? Thanks in advance!
My Las Vegas SC always tried to blow me off, so before passing it off to the attorney, I drove it to the Palo Alto California service center, they stated some half shafts are not as balanced as others and fix my shudder problem, after 35k miles it is returning. So, I will give the Las Vegas SC another chance. If they give me the runaround I will pass it for to my attorney and let them deal with arbitrating the lemon 🍋 law.

Thank you for your posts. I’m attempting to track down a noise from our Model X100D too. Do post an update when your replacement DU is installed. I’m curious to know if that fixes the noise.
I will. My appointment is currently scheduled for early next week. I’m not optimistic. The noise seems to be louder than last week. Hopefully it won’t break down!
Is your noise similar?

The noise I’m hearing is not like yours in that its pitch and volume DO NOT vary with speed. There IS a humming, thrumming noise coming from the the area of the two front wheel wells, however.

I just changed out the two front tyres, and the noise has quietened down but not gone away. The tyre repairman recommended that I should get an all-wheel alignment at a Tesla Service Center since they noticed unever wear on the tyres they just replaced.

Possibilities I’m dreading are that my front DU is going bad, and/or the two half-shafts are going bad, since the car I’m writing about is our Model X. We also own a Model S but it’s not given us anything like the noise problems that our Model X has.

Well the SC pushed my appointment back, for the fifth time, because the drive unit still hasn’t arrived. The one they ordered at the beginning of December. Nearly three months. And this was after the third visit for the problem since August in which they finally decided that it was the DU. So I’ve had the problem six months and they haven’t yet solved it. This is ridiculous. Is this really a normal Tesla customer experience?

Well the SC pushed my appointment back, for the fifth time, because the drive unit still hasn’t arrived. The one they ordered at the beginning of December. Nearly three months. And this was after the third visit for the problem since August in which they finally decided that it was the DU. So I’ve had the problem six months and they haven’t yet solved it. This is ridiculous. Is this really a normal Tesla customer experience?
Unfortunately, it can be. Though I would have hoped that by now Tesla had gotten itself ahead of the spare parts curve. Our Model X100D was involved in a collision that almost totaled it. Fortunately none in my family were hurt. The other driver, the one at fault, was not so lucky. It took us sixteen weeks to get our car back from the body shop. The problem? Spare parts shortages and difficulty with Tesla getting its spare parts act together.

I dare say your extended wait time is exacerbated by supply chain problems, and factory closures in Asia and other countries related to COVID. Just my guesss.

Unfortunately, it can be. Though I would have hoped that by now Tesla had gotten itself ahead of the spare parts curve. Our Model X100D was involved in a collision that almost totaled it. Fortunately none in my family were hurt. The other driver, the one at fault, was not so lucky. It took us sixteen weeks to get our car back from the body shop. The problem? Spare parts shortages and difficulty with Tesla getting its spare parts act together.

I dare say your extended wait time is exacerbated by supply chain problems, and factory closures in Asia and other countries related to COVID. Just my guesss.
Wow, that’s not an acceptable wait time. I’m glad to hear that you and your family came out of it okay.

Final update: fixed! They got the rear drive unit in and replaced it. My car is amazingly quiet and smooth now. The usual communication (or lack thereof) issues with the SC, but it’s fixed and I’m happy.
Thanks for your update, and this time with good news! I listened to your video again. If ever I hear a sound like that in our Model X, I’ll know what it is. Thanks again.