Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal and in car audio with 2021.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got bored with turning the hotspot on every time I got in the car, so have now downloaded MacroDroid which let's you set up an automated macro which automatically turns the phone hotspot on every time the phone connects to the Tesla via Bluetooth (i.e when you get in).

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
I got bored with turning the hotspot on every time I got in the car, so have now downloaded MacroDroid which let's you set up an automated macro which automatically turns the phone hotspot on every time the phone connects to the Tesla via Bluetooth (i.e when you get in).
Wish there was something similar for iPhone. As it stands currently I have to actually go to the Personal Hotspot page for the car to see the WiFi at all. Apparently that is by design, to stop it being advertised constantly, but it's still annoying and there's seemingly no way to automate it when I get into the car.

Wish there was something similar for iPhone. As it stands currently I have to actually go to the Personal Hotspot page for the car to see the WiFi at all. Apparently that is by design, to stop it being advertised constantly, but it's still annoying and there's seemingly no way to automate it when I get into the car.
I'm sure I read iOS users use the automations in the Shortcuts app to do it.

Edit - Yep should definitely work via a Bluetooth trigger as per - Setting triggers in Shortcuts on iPhone or iPad

I'm sure I read iOS users use the automations in the Shortcuts app to do it.

Edit - Yep should definitely work via a Bluetooth trigger as per - Setting triggers in Shortcuts on iPhone or iPad
Following this, I’ve thrown this together. Will know tomorrow whether it actually works.

AEF8D961-05FA-4C7F-BE33-108910E2A689.png E2497DE8-E288-4699-98C9-6443F7717904.png

Basically the logic is that when the phone connects to my Tesla via Bluetooth it will disable WiFI and bring up the Personal Hotspot page. There doesn’t appear to be any way to turn hotspot on or off in Shortcuts, but I don’t think it’s active for WiFi at least while you’re not on the right screen. My Personal Hotspot is on all of the time, which is the only way it can work I think.

When “Driving” finished (there’s no option in Shortcuts to do something when the phone disconnects from Bluetooth) then WiFi is turned back on.

Note: "When Driving ON" might work as well or better than detecting when the phone connects to the car Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cossa and Nick77
I wrote as a Safari Open command prefs://root=INTERNET_TETHERING instead of as above and it almost works. It is all one command, the line break is just the display. The problem is still that while I have the trigger, when the BT connected it prompted me to run the script instead of just running it. When I clicked to run it opened the hotspot screen. At least that proves the syntax is right. The trigger is as above. I didn't do anything with wifi as I don't think it is necessary. My ios version is 14.3 fwiw. Oh, I'm in the US if that matters too. I forget this is a UK thread that I just happened to reply to a while ago and I get alerts.

IMG_3520.PNG

Edit: In looking into the automatic trigger, this is something that ios just doesn't do. It is one of the requested items that Apple just won't implement.

Last edited:
I enabled a Bixby routine that worked 90% of the time (sometimes WIFI wasn't turned ON) but it had a flaw in that when starting YouTube, etc. the car (I think) turns off Bluetooth audio connection and therefore the phone turns off the WIFI hotspot!

I've gone back to paying for premium connectivity because what's the point of having a seamless hi-tech connected car and not using it?? It really takes the hassle out of using the car and it's connected features even if the traffic isn't always displayed correctly.

I found another flaw in my routine. If I get in the car and my phone is locked, I need to unlock it before running the routine. By the time I've done that I may as well just open the tethering screen manually. It is going to be either one press or two no matter what. The only benefit is the reminder to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I wrote as a Safari Open command prefs://root=INTERNET_TETHERING instead of as above and it almost works. It is all one command, the line break is just the display. The problem is still that while I have the trigger, when the BT connected it prompted me to run the script instead of just running it. When I clicked to run it opened the hotspot screen. At least that proves the syntax is right. The trigger is as above. I didn't do anything with wifi as I don't think it is necessary. My ios version is 14.3 fwiw. Oh, I'm in the US if that matters too. I forget this is a UK thread that I just happened to reply to a while ago and I get alerts.

View attachment 766347

Edit: In looking into the automatic trigger, this is something that ios just doesn't do. It is one of the requested items that Apple just won't implement.
Note that the URL is prefs:root=INTERNET_TETHERING not prefs://root=INTERNET_TETHERING

If you want to create an adhoc Shortcut to open the Personal Hotspot page, you just need to do the following:

BEE728A6-1C5C-4FEB-BAE2-3BDA67E2D930.png

Note: You add two actions - first one is “URL” with the code above. The second one is “Open URL” (a Safari shortcut), but you don’t need to do anything else - literally just add the “Open URL” action after the first one, and that’s it.

That shortcut will open the Personal Hotspot page when run (but you want it to be an Automation in normal use)

Incidentally it looks like opening the Personal Hotspot page turns off WiFi automatically anyway, and turns it back on if you come out.

Well my automations spectacularly didn’t work this morning.

Two problems.. turning WiFi off is unnecessary and actually stops Personal Hotspot from working. Seems obvious now but at the time I was trying to make it so my phone disconnected from the WiFi it was connected to. So, that has to be removed.

The second problem is that although the automations appear to run with the phone locked, they don’t actually do anything (I added notifications to both to let me know they’ve run). It seems your phone has to be unlocked for the actions to actually work, which makes it a bit useless (I’d like to be able to just leave my phone in my coat pocket and know that it’s done it’s thing without interaction - which is sortof the point)

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
What version of iOS are you on? I'm on 14.3 and my trigger works, it just doesn't run it automatically. Every time I get in the car now it vibrates to tell me there is a pending shortcut to run but it doesn't run it. If the phone is locked it tells me to unlock it first but by the time I do that I've hit something that ends up canceling the run anyway. If I have the phone already unlocked I'll get the prompt and if I hit run it'll open the hotspot screen. I can get that same screen by using my thumb to unlock the phone, hit settings and hit hotspot. Not much of a savings there if it doesn't do it automatically.

I found another flaw in my routine. If I get in the car and my phone is locked, I need to unlock it before running the routine. By the time I've done that I may as well just open the tethering screen manually. It is going to be either one press or two no matter what. The only benefit is the reminder to do it.
Thanks for posting, I've been trying to solve this too. Other option I found to speed things up a little is to set up the iPhone hotspot or shortcut to trigger with a 'double tap' on the back of the iPhone. The search for seamless continues...

Thanks for posting, I've been trying to solve this too. Other option I found to speed things up a little is to set up the iPhone hotspot or shortcut to trigger with a 'double tap' on the back of the iPhone. The search for seamless continues...
I just bought a wi-fi hotspot. Its always (almost) on, and I've stopped getting the annoying 'you've run out of space even though you have the max data' nag from my carrier. Then it's just a quick flip/enable of wifi, and it connects automatically. And when I travel, I no longer worry about wifi or not.