Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal app download in car - what quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Does anyone know what quality is used for Tidal audio tracks that are downloaded directly to the car?

I have Hi Fi Plus so I can listen at MQA but the tracks are quite large, CD quality is fine for me for downloaded songs, but I can't find any way to choose what is used in the car.

Wanted to follow up on my own thread as I hadn't gotten a response.

Songs are downloaded in "Hi-Fi" quality. I believe this is 320kbps and similar to the quality that you get from Spotify. It is inferior to either CD or MQA quality as far as I know.

Additionally playlists are limited to 199 tracks. I have a road trip playlist with 346 tracks and only the first 199 tracks were downloaded. Now whenever the playlist is played it is truncated to 199 tracks, which is rather annoying.

1684896117676.png

from downloaded, fairly certain and I can hear the difference
Downloaded tracks show in the app as being “Hi-Fi” and this is not an 1167kbps bit-rate. It is possibly CD quality but I’m not sure.

The bit-rate you cited in the earlier screenshot is from a test where someone STREAMED Tidal over Wi-Fi and looked at the stream rate. This is not the same bit-rate you will get from a downloaded track or a track that you stream to the car while you are using the car’s cellular connection.

Downloaded Tidal hifi tracks are 16bit, 44.1. Same as a CD, but not as good as you can get if you have a USB drive with higher quality files. But those hi-fi tracks sound absolutely wonderful, and totally blow away any other streaming service by far. Tesla sound system is so good, that when a song doesn't have hi-fi available, I can tell, and I get frustrated because I want to hear the song in better fidelity.

Downloaded Tidal hifi tracks are 16bit, 44.1. Same as a CD, but not as good as you can get if you have a USB drive with higher quality files. But those hi-fi tracks sound absolutely wonderful, and totally blow away any other streaming service by far. Tesla sound system is so good, that when a song doesn't have hi-fi available, I can tell, and I get frustrated because I want to hear the song in better fidelity.
The sound quality difference between Spotify and Tidal is pretty noticeable. 16bit 44.1khz for the downloaded files makes sense to me, it would take a ton of space to store MQA or FLAC files of 24bit audio.'

I'm not sure what they stream to the car when it's on the 4G/LTE network but I am extremely skeptical that it's at the bit-rates that have been measured over Wi-Fi.

The sound quality difference between Spotify and Tidal is pretty noticeable. 16bit 44.1khz for the downloaded files makes sense to me, it would take a ton of space to store MQA or FLAC files of 24bit audio.'

I'm not sure what they stream to the car when it's on the 4G/LTE network but I am extremely skeptical that it's at the bit-rates that have been measured over Wi-Fi.
I’m assuming it’s 384k/sec which is not too bad.

One thing I have noticed is that SOME tracks have a blue "Hi Fi" tag. No consistency on when I see it (I don't download tracks, so it is on streaming unless the tracks already downloaded at some point).

Overall, I have been happy with Tidal as a streaming source as far as quality. I wish it would remember where I left off on a playlist if I go to another source (almost always to USB FLAC files). But it has given me a chance to check out albums I might have normally not caught or wanted to spend the money on (this past week has been catching up on Thomas Dolby).

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Yeah, I've even had the MQA tag come up when I was streaming something in the car over WiFi. The biggest issue with Tidal in my opinion is the mind boggling lack of an option to randomize a playlist. Completely bonkers that it can't play things on shuffle.

Reactions: DelPhonic1