Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal on 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t been on this forum for a while so may have missed some relevant information. It is nice to be back!

I am currently using Spotify, but plan to cancel my service and switch to Tidal. I was excited to learn that Tidal now is available on Tesla. However, on closer inspection it looks like Tidal is only available from firmware version 2021.40 and I found out my 2016 Model S 90D is still on firmware version 2020.48.27.8. The car shows no upgrade available so it would appear that I am no longer getting the latest firmware releases. I hadn’t really thought about it, but in hindsight I now realize it has been a long time since I have received a firmware upgrade.

From reading up on the forum, I get the impression that in order to get the latest firmware, I would need to update my Infotainment system, which is something that I had been considering for a while but I was not sure if it was worth the investment. Am I correct in my assumption that an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 would enable me to upgrade to more recent firmware versions? Would that then give me access to Tidal? Is there any other way to get access to Tidal on MCU1?

Thank you for any insights!

I have a similar issue with my X. I am looking for answers. When I asked the service center they just dismissed my questioning. All the info I have seen about upgrading refers to more games, netflix, etc. which does not address my issues. I have not found anything that explains accessing new firmware upgrades. You may wish to have a lot at my post in the X forum.

Reactions: Wanderer
I haven’t been on this forum for a while so may have missed some relevant information. It is nice to be back!

I am currently using Spotify, but plan to cancel my service and switch to Tidal. I was excited to learn that Tidal now is available on Tesla. However, on closer inspection it looks like Tidal is only available from firmware version 2021.40 and I found out my 2016 Model S 90D is still on firmware version 2020.48.27.8. The car shows no upgrade available so it would appear that I am no longer getting the latest firmware releases. I hadn’t really thought about it, but in hindsight I now realize it has been a long time since I have received a firmware upgrade.

From reading up on the forum, I get the impression that in order to get the latest firmware, I would need to update my Infotainment system, which is something that I had been considering for a while but I was not sure if it was worth the investment. Am I correct in my assumption that an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 would enable me to upgrade to more recent firmware versions? Would that then give me access to Tidal? Is there any other way to get access to Tidal on MCU1?

Thank you for any insights!
Hi wanderer. I was offered the infotainment upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 this week while at Tesla service center for a different issue. June 2016 90D AP1. The tidal app is now available on screen. I am now on version 2022.4.5. Service center told me I would continue to receive updates for at least 2 more years. Very happy with added features and speed/responsiveness of the new computer overall.