Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal vs Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you tether to your phone's hotspot you can stream in 16/44.1/1411kbps quality. I do it all the time now for Tidal. Anyplace with a decent signal should allow this, but your phone plan may not. I had to upgrade my plan to get LTE speeds for a hotspot but it didn't actually cost anything because my old plan was obsolete anyway.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
If you tether to your phone's hotspot you can stream in 16/44.1/1411kbps quality. I do it all the time now for Tidal. Anyplace with a decent signal should allow this, but your phone plan may not. I had to upgrade my plan to get LTE speeds for a hotspot but it didn't actually cost anything because my old plan was obsolete anyway.
When doing this tether, do you have to do it every time you get in the car?

When doing this tether, do you have to do it every time you get in the car?
Unfortunately yes. When I'm parked at home the home wifi is always already attached, and if I'm anywhere else I have to remember to put the phone in hotspot mode. An iPhone will only attach automatically to another Apple device on the same iCloud account, otherwise you must do it manually each time by bringing up the screen in settings. It's kind of a PITA. Also, once you start driving the wifi is turned off in the car so you need to turn it back on if you've already started.

Unfortunately yes. When I'm parked at home the home wifi is always already attached, and if I'm anywhere else I have to remember to put the phone in hotspot mode. An iPhone will only attach automatically to another Apple device on the same iCloud account, otherwise you must do it manually each time by bringing up the screen in settings. It's kind of a PITA. Also, once you start driving the wifi is turned off in the car so you need to turn it back on if you've already started.
Defo PITA

Reactions: preilly44
Interesting, I've never used Tidal but this thread is going to make me try it out. Currently if I'm listening to Spotify at home and my wife takes the car and uses my account it swaps over. I was considering doing a family account and paying extra for just the car to have it's own but then you lose playlists.

Tidal might be a decent solution.

Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Interesting, I've never used Tidal but this thread is going to make me try it out. Currently if I'm listening to Spotify at home and my wife takes the car and uses my account it swaps over. I was considering doing a family account and paying extra for just the car to have it's own but then you lose playlists.

Tidal might be a decent solution.

Just FYI, there are a few aftermarket solutions to keeping playlists synchronized, for a small fee. These services typically work across platforms too (like syncing Spotify to Tidal)

Ordering my M3 soon - audio experience seems less than stellar considering all the tech - no AppleCarplay or even Amazon Music app ? And another thread mentioned only 1 usb that can play music and it’s the one used for sentry ?

I’m reading and learning, but where is the ability to play at least 16bit 44.1k(CD quality )

Ordering my M3 soon - audio experience seems less than stellar considering all the tech - no AppleCarplay or even Amazon Music app ? And another thread mentioned only 1 usb that can play music and it’s the one used for sentry ?

I’m reading and learning, but where is the ability to play at least 16bit 44.1k(CD quality )
If you want CD quality you have 2 choices, FLAC files on a stick or usb hard drive, and Tidal. With Tidal you have 2 options, either you download in advance while connected to wifi at home or you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and can then stream on the fly. See my post above for the shortcomings of using the hotspot. I use both Tidal options at the moment but mostly the hotspot as I never really know what I want to hear until I want to hear it.

If you want higher res, like 24/96 only FLAC files can be played. I haven't tried that yet.

There is another way to get hi-res in the car but only while parked. If you have a Qobuz subscription, an audiophile streaming service, you can play it through the browser. As soon as you shift into drive though it stops.

Another thing that became obvious to me in my SR+, the audio did not live up to the hype. I have replaced the dash drivers with Infinity 4032 and they sound better and I have a set of Focal ISU 200 door woofers right in front of me to replace the originals.

Last edited: