Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal, y u no shuffle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if you've tried it without any local USB storage attached to confirm it's using the MCUs storage?

The memory on the media computer is 64GB total, and at least some chunk of that is eaten by the firmware, the maps, the games, the various media apps, etc

(also not being easily replicable I'm not sure I'd want it constantly re-writing that onboard flash memory just for music- excessive writing is what killed the smaller eMMC on the MCU1 computers)

Reactions: BigNick
I'm kinda confused that the people who insisted loading lossless music on local storage, as those of us enjoying high quality music in their teslas for years have done, wasn't an acceptable solution are now thrilled they've added an option to let you..... load worse than lossless onto local storage and play it from there, with the added cost of a subscription.

That's just USB music with extra steps (and less quality)
You forgot about the steps of purchasing, ripping (from CD) or the downloading hi quality files step. Then transferring to the car as you keep updating steps. Which takes hours or weeks or months to accumulate. Higher quality streaming, if the library is vast like Spotify, sweetly eliminates the need to do all of that prep, like we did back in he 80's. I loved the 80's, but...

Reactions: pilotSteve
You forgot about the steps of purchasing, ripping (from CD) or the downloading hi quality files step. Then transferring to the car as you keep updating steps. Which takes hours or weeks or months to accumulate.

Assuming you like high quality music, and you're not 17, you'd already have done all that years ago though.

Higher quality streaming, if the library is vast like Spotify, sweetly eliminates the need to do all of that prep

Ah, but my method actually exists for use in my Tesla. Which seems an important advantage over wishing for stuff that doesn't.

I am somewhat confused about many of the comments in this discussion about streaming music and the quality of the music. It is my understanding that to use the Tidal app in the 2021.40.6 you have to tether your car to wifi and then you can download the music from Tidal. I did this connected to my home wifi and downloaded a playlist from my Tidal Hifi (not Plus), which should all be lossless flac files. I started playing the downloaded songs (sounded great) while still connected to my home wifi. As I drove away the music STOPPED with an error message to either connect to wifi or subscribe to premium connectivity. When I tethered the car to my phone wifi I could play the downloaded music. I thought this Tesla app would work like other streaming iPhone apps where you can play downloaded music when not connected to wifi. Tesla engineers make some strange decisions. Also a vote for shuffle option. not necessary for albums but definitely a must for playlists.
Just come across this issue myself! Did you find a work around it resolve?

I usually just WiFi tether the car to my iPhone and use the Tesla Tidal app to stream music. This works well. I think the Tesla needs premium connectivity to stay logged in to Tidal. Hopefully the dependence on premium connectivity will be removed in future updates.

It streams over tesla 4G connection and downloads if you want. Streams in HIFI. Downloads in HIFI. That can be useful on road trips with intermittent connection.
I do pay for premium connectivity with Tesla. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Cheers

Assuming you like high quality music, and you're not 17, you'd already have done all that years ago though.

Ah, but my method actually exists for use in my Tesla. Which seems an important advantage over wishing for stuff that doesn't.
Are you saying that hi quality streaming doesn't exist today? I love to listen to new music thru streaming. Your old method at that point, becomes an unnecessary chore, at least to me.

Are you saying that hi quality streaming doesn't exist today?

On a Tesla over LTE? No, it does not.

Your choices are:

Low quality streaming from your phone.

Low quality streaming from an onboard app.

Higher quality LOCAL playback from downloaded Tidal files.

Max quality (lossless if you have such source files) LOCAL playback from USB media.

It does sound like if you tether your car to wifi you can get Tidal to play higher quality streaming music- maybe as high as 16bit / 44.1kHz.

Which still isn't as good as you can get from local FLAC/USB playback, but better than all the LTE streaming options I guess.

I love to listen to new music thru streaming. Your old method at that point, becomes an unnecessary chore, at least to me.

Except that your method will always get you lower quality than is available from local playback of higher quality files.

Now, if you're just doing it to discover new music- that's not a problem at all.... hear something you like, you can always then obtain high quality copies of it for local playback-- if you care about higher quality audio.... (and if you don't, just stick to streaming anyway)

But LOCAL playback remains the highest quality method available on the vehicle.

He still won't get away from a 20+ year old method for listening to music. We have better ways. Every Friday I have 20-30 new albums that I go through, sometimes even getting through them all in a week.

Last edited:
He still won't get away from a 20+ year old method for listening to music. We have better ways.

You literally don't though.

You have worse ways of listening to more of it.

Your inability to recognize the difference is entirely on you.

Every Friday I have 20-30 new albums that I go through, sometimes even getting through them all in a week.

It's weird you think "low quality streaming" is the only method of getting new music.

On a Tesla over LTE? No, it does not.

Your choices are:

Low quality streaming from your phone.

Low quality streaming from an onboard app.

Higher quality LOCAL playback from downloaded Tidal files.

Max quality (lossless if you have such source files) LOCAL playback from USB media.

It does sound like if you tether your car to wifi you can get Tidal to play higher quality streaming music- maybe as high as 16bit / 44.1kHz.

Which still isn't as good as you can get from local FLAC/USB playback, but better than all the LTE streaming options I guess.

Except that your method will always get you lower quality than is available from local playback of higher quality files.

Now, if you're just doing it to discover new music- that's not a problem at all.... hear something you like, you can always then obtain high quality copies of it for local playback-- if you care about higher quality audio.... (and if you don't, just stick to streaming anyway)

But LOCAL playback remains the highest quality method available on the vehicle.
16b 44.1 is just good enough for me to listen and not feel OCD about getting lossless. But it sounds like the winds are shifting towards lossless in our cars eventually. It'll get there.

So. Can we shuffle yet??
I'm going to add to this with my very simple Tidal pain points that should have been there from day 1.
  • Shuffle
  • Start radio from track
  • Download 'liked' tracks for HIFI quality
  • Access to 'new arrivals' and 'daily discovery' in the 'mixes for you' section
  • Playback control from phone app (acceptable after day 1)

Can anyone tell how much storage space we have? Ways to force it to store on usb!

There's about 12GB of usable storage- some of which is already used for games.

No way to use USB AFAIK presently

DISCLAIMER: the above is regarding MCU2 whose internal storage is only a 32GB eMMC flash chip that also has to hold all the firmware, maps, etc. MCU3 supposedly has a 256GB NVME drive for local storage of such things.... though I've not seen any breakdown on how much of it is usable for any specific thing.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I've perpetually got the you have no space on a 2021, frustrated by that. (With only a few things downloaded 9
Yeah same here. The storage space is tiny. I also find that you still have to be connected to internet to utilize those downloaded tracks (though maybe I'm doing something wrong), which defeats the whole purpose. Guess they're just trying to get us to pay for premium connectivity.

Also still no shuffle.

I will say I love Tidal's mixes that it creates for you, it does a really good job, I just wish you could shuffle them.