Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug: Tiered Speed Limits [on Autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell no one has discussed this and it really surprises me.

Driving in California there are tiered speed limits with trucks always being limited to 55. When driving with auto steer on, the car can't seem to figure out that the 55+ signs are for me, and the 55 signs are for trucks.

Considering the company is based in California, I am absolutely shocked that the computer cannot recognize the difference between the speed limit signs because they are literally everywhere.

Am I missing something here, a setting buried deep within the bowels of the computer or does everyone share my pain?

10/21 M3

I agree this is SO FRUSTRATING:

Seems to work during the day just fine, but when the sun starts down if I am not in the lane against the edge where the sign is it can't tell the sign is for Trucks or Trailers, and as the night progresses even if I am right next to the sign it can't tell.

It's been this way since they added the feature to read the signs. I love that they added the ability to see signs, as it was also frustrating to have the car completely ignore them, but misreading is definitely MORE frustrating.

lUtriaNt why do you wanna thumbs down this topic? Don't like people pointing out bugs?

Last edited:
At least on the highway, it will allow you to choose the speed of the car. On a two-lane road I travel frequently, it forces the car down to 35 MPH because of the 30 MPH truck limit signs.

Here's my theory: When the signs are done correctly, like this:

R2-2P_dd2189a7-dbc9-4a61-975b-996d030c2458_530x@2x.jpg

everything is fine. But with signs like this:

sign-jpg.590241

the car usually and improperly reads as a speed limit for me.

Reactions: Krock65