Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tiff Needell gets his first ride in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
don't accept the conventional wisdom... our NW facing roof generated 2573kWh in the last year while our SE generated 3202kWh... that's in the 'sunny' UK. The reality is that solar is now so cheap that we should all cover every surface with it :smile:

Well, cheap is relative. When I calculated the cost vs. possible return I came to the conclusion that for our house it is just not feasible. (The roof side where I could put solar panels at all is facing north-east!

don't accept the conventional wisdom... our NW facing roof generated 2573kWh in the last year while our SE generated 3202kWh... that's in the 'sunny' UK. The reality is that solar is now so cheap that we should all cover every surface with it :smile:
You might have mentioned before, but I don't recall seeing it. What are the ratings on those panel sets?

You might have mentioned before, but I don't recall seeing it. What are the ratings on those panel sets?
7kWp... identical 3.5kWp system on each roof elevation.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, cheap is relative. When I calculated the cost vs. possible return I came to the conclusion that for our house it is just not feasible. (The roof side where I could put solar panels at all is facing north-east!
what price do you put on local air pollution?

our NW facing roof generated 2573kWh in the last year while our SE generated 3202kWh... that's in the 'sunny' UK
7kWp... identical 3.5kWp system on each roof elevation.
Kevin's system in UK:
7 kW system rating
5,755 kWh yearly production
(5,775 kWh / yr) * (yr / 8,765 h) = 0.65887 kW yearly rate
5775 kWh / 7 kW = 825 "effective hours" per year

Projected Brian's system in UK:
5.76 kW system rating
4,752 kWh yearly production
0.65887 kW * 5.76 kW / 7 kW = 0.54216 kW yearly rate

Brian's system in Seattle area based on July:
(700 kWh / mo) * (12 mo / yr) * (yr / 8765 h) = 0.95836 kW yearly rate
700 kWh / 5.76 kW = 121 "effective hours" for July

Difficult to directly compare July to a full year, but I found it interesting to run the numbers nonetheless.

Last edited: