Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tight Garage Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a small garage with about a foot of clearance on each side for the car to enter and exit.
I am continually frustrated by the fact that the summon feature works sometimes and other times won’t work at all. I can clearly see that the car will not hit the garage walls, but the car will stop and not move forward. I have made the adjustments on the Tesla computer to allow for parking in tight spaces, but as I said it works sometimes and not on other times. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: AC2DC
I have a small garage with similar clearance on both sides. That is never an issue. The issue I have is sometimes (maybe 1 out of 5 attempts) it will not go close enough to the front wall to get is backside into the garage so I can close the door!I have to back out and try again.

I have a small garage with similar clearance on both sides. That is never an issue. The issue I have is sometimes (maybe 1 out of 5 attempts) it will not go close enough to the front wall to get is backside into the garage so I can close the door!I have to back out and try again.
Thanks for the post. Are there any tips you could share. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I've found summon to be more frustrating than useful. However after some trial and error I've found that pulling the car into the garage via summon has a higher rate of success if I start it from a bit further back so that the car can clearly see the entry point. Might be worth a shot. Also, if/when it does stop midway in, if you force close the app and relaunch it sometimes you can try again from that point and get it to finish parking.

M3 does pretty good being summoned into the garage but a lot of times has problems connection to my cell for backing out of the garage. I hate those times because I have to squeeze into a less than half opened car door to get to the driver's seat and at 80 that sometimes can be hard to do.

FINALLY found more people with the same problem. I can't believe this isn't more widely publicized.

My 2018 M3 parked perfectly in the garage with summon since I got it. Since August or September 2021, it stops with about 3 feet (95cm) of space between wall and the bumper.

I confirmed this 3 feet perimeter by trying to park the car forward as well.
I also confirmed that when I set the Summon "Bumper Clearance" setting in the car from "20 cm" to "40 cm", the car actually started parking 95+20 = 115cm from the wall! So 95 cm (~3 feet) seems to be the minimum clearance for some reason.

Tesla reviewed logs and found no errors. Summon is "completing successfully". They reset the "Summon module" (or something along those lines) and that didn't resolve the problem either. I even confirmed with my neighbour's 2019 M3 and his also stops with about 95cm or 3' of clearance.

Now I'm stuck with a car that won't summon closer than 95cm (3'), which makes the feature is 100% useless.

The Tesla tech said he will report it but he also said more people need report it so it becomes a wider spread issue.

You can see the clearance here:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did report this to the Tesla tech support. The more people that do this, the better chance we have of having the problem addressed. Thanks again for your valuable feedback and experiences.

I have a small garage with about a foot of clearance on each side for the car to enter and exit.
I am continually frustrated by the fact that the summon feature works sometimes and other times won’t work at all. I can clearly see that the car will not hit the garage walls, but the car will stop and not move forward. I have made the adjustments on the Tesla computer to allow for parking in tight spaces, but as I said it works sometimes and not on other times. Any help is appreciated.
I didn't notice regular old dumb summon is gone from the app
I did notice with smart summon if I didn't place the marker far enough away from my car, smart summon would start and stop and car wouldn't move

FINALLY found more people with the same problem. I can't believe this isn't more widely publicized.

My 2018 M3 parked perfectly in the garage with summon since I got it. Since August or September 2021, it stops with about 3 feet (95cm) of space between wall and the bumper.

I confirmed this 3 feet perimeter by trying to park the car forward as well.
I also confirmed that when I set the Summon "Bumper Clearance" setting in the car from "20 cm" to "40 cm", the car actually started parking 95+20 = 115cm from the wall! So 95 cm (~3 feet) seems to be the minimum clearance for some reason.

Tesla reviewed logs and found no errors. Summon is "completing successfully". They reset the "Summon module" (or something along those lines) and that didn't resolve the problem either. I even confirmed with my neighbour's 2019 M3 and his also stops with about 95cm or 3' of clearance.

Now I'm stuck with a car that won't summon closer than 95cm (3'), which makes the feature is 100% useless.

The Tesla tech said he will report it but he also said more people need report it so it becomes a wider spread issue.

You can see the clearance here:
I updated my video:

Fast forward a year or so, and I stopped using summon completely. It is a party trick and totally useless in the real world. Smart summon is even worse, the few times recently when I wanted to use it there was just an error in the app saying visibility degraded. Waste of time, waste of money - definitely not worth paying for an upgrade (if anyone comes across this and is considering paying extra for smart summon).

M3 does pretty good being summoned into the garage but a lot of times has problems connection to my cell for backing out of the garage. I hate those times because I have to squeeze into a less than half opened car door to get to the driver's seat and at 80 that sometimes can be hard to do.

wow half opening the drivers doors and getting in at 80! must be a bitch when parking brake kicks in
a very long driveway, a giant garage, nerves of steel required

Some say his name is JimShaw but we call him....the STIG
White_Stig.jpg

Reactions: DocHolliday
Fast forward a year or so, and I stopped using summon completely. It is a party trick and totally useless in the real world. Smart summon is even worse, the few times recently when I wanted to use it there was just an error in the app saying visibility degraded. Waste of time, waste of money - definitely not worth paying for an upgrade (if anyone comes across this and is considering paying extra for smart summon).
I can honestly say it was good to very useful while it worked. I’d back up 80% in my garage, unload my trunk and then I had a Siri shortcut to “park my car” and it would summon reverse until it was fully inside the garage. With pin to drive enabled, this was definitely more convenient. I’m disappointed it stopped working.

A related tip: If it's a tight squeeze to open the door and get in or out, open the window first.
A related tip: If it's a tight squeeze to open the door and get in or out, open the window first.

View attachment 904703
Side question: what did you use to attached your cable to the roof and what do you do with the charging end when not in use? Feel free to DM if you want. I have a similar setup