TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tighten your valve stems!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by n2mb_racing, May 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

I went for a drive yesterday and got stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. Luckily, I didn't use the tire slime. I called AAA and they inflated the tire again. We found a leak coming from the valve stem. We tightened up the nut holding the valve stem (and TPMS, I assume) to the rim and the leak went away.

Moral of the story, check those valve stem nuts and carry a small tire pump! The geniuses that installed my new tires didn't tighten them, I assume.

I also found out that my rear TPMS sensors are swapped. The tire guys also managed to screw that up. Is there a way to retrain the TPMS system so that it gets the right sensors in the right places?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You have to use a special TPMS tool to reset the sensors. They used to sell the tools (not cheap), but now you pretty much have to go to a service center.

3. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

electronic-devices-RST-184-A.png

RST-184-A
    Tesla part number: 1013547-00-A
    Description: TOOL, TPMS, ROADSTER and MODEL S

4. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Can they reset the TPMS sensors without unmounting the tire? If so, it seems like something I could ask them to do quickly next time I'm there.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, the process takes about 30 seconds.