Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tightening sun visor ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My drivers side sun visor has become a bit loose after one too many times being pulled out and twisted to block the light coming in from the window instead . When unclipped, it now droops down about an inch, and feels like something’s come loose within the assembly . The car has a solid roof.

Has anyone opened up the assembly and tightened their sunvisor, and if so, could you please document what you did ?

My drivers side sun visor has become a bit loose after one too many times being pulled out and twisted to block the light coming in from the window instead . When unclipped, it now droops down about an inch, and feels like something’s come loose within the assembly . The car has a solid roof.

Has anyone opened up the assembly and tightened their sunvisor, and if so, could you please document what you did ?
I have done this. You first have to remove the plastic cover over the screw; this is the difficult part. The cover is the part that surrounds the arm mount and is shaped like the letter 'C'. It has three slight tabs that clip over the edge of the metal base behind it—one each at the top and bottom of the 'C' and one at the 'back'. It needs to be spread further open to release the tabs at the top and bottom (I did this using a small spudge that I slipped under the cover), then slid back to release the third. Then you will need a #20 (if I remember correctly) torx driver to tighten the mounting screw. I suggest tightening it a lot; my first attempt led to it loosening again.

I have done this. You first have to remove the plastic cover over the screw; this is the difficult part.

Can you confirm that the arrows below indicate approximately where the tabs are? I've been trying to pry the cover off unsuccessfully. Based on what you said, I need to pry the lower part of the C further out until the tab below releases from the metal base?

IMG_2193.jpg

Can you confirm that the arrows below indicate approximately where the tabs are? I've been trying to pry the cover off unsuccessfully. Based on what you said, I need to pry the lower part of the C further out until the tab below releases from the metal base?
Your drawing is correct. For what it is worth, I have had to remove my cover to tighten my visor three times. It is nearly impossible to remove the cover without damaging the tabs on the cover. The only way I can see being able to remove the cover without damage is to spread both ends at the same time and to a push it in direction towards the back of the "C"—basically, three simultaneous forces all in the opposite directions as your arrows.

I will probably have to replace my cover if I have to take it off one more time.

It is nearly impossible to remove the cover without damaging the tabs on the cover

No kidding. It almost seems like you need a special tool that pries the C apart while pushing it outwards, but I've looked at the Tesla service manual and all it essentially says is 'remove cover'. I guess I just have to try harder.

My visor isn't actually loose. When I press on the headliner near the visor mount, I get polystyrene squeak noises and I was trying to get behind there to lubricate it so it won't squeak