Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tilted tow hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got a bike rack and installed it with the tow hitch. After mounting it I saw that the bike rack was noticeably tilted to one side. The driver side was lower than the passenger side. I took out my level and saw that the hitch is angled relative to the car. It's maybe 2-3 degrees off. Not enough to affect function but really annoys me looking at it.

Just wondering if others have the same issue? I've never had a car with a hitch before so I don't know if this is expected or is something I should get Tesla to fix.

Strange. I haven't noticed that issue. Is the bike rack securely attached? Can you wiggle/move the rack back and forth? What happens if you try to rotate it to make it level, does it move? If it's simply loose, maybe you have a 1.25" rack or you may need to wedge something in there to take up the slack.

I finally got a bike rack and installed it with the tow hitch. After mounting it I saw that the bike rack was noticeably tilted to one side. The driver side was lower than the passenger side. I took out my level and saw that the hitch is angled relative to the car. It's maybe 2-3 degrees off. Not enough to affect function but really annoys me looking at it.

Just wondering if others have the same issue? I've never had a car with a hitch before so I don't know if this is expected or is something I should get Tesla to fix.

Our hitch attachment is not straight either. The Yakima Fourtimer 4-bike rack angles sideways toward the passenger side. We have used this rack on our previous car without this issue, so it is not the bike rack itself that is the problem.

Mine is as well. I thought it might be the "ball" in the bike rack mount that pushed it off level when tightened down but it isn't. It's definitely the mount itself. Mildly annoying but not a functional issue.

Let me know what they say. I'm not sure I want them tearing the rear bumper apart trying to get it level. Seems like it could cause more issues than it's worth.