Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tim Hortons launches EV charging station pilot project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I say good on Tim Horton's for doing this... but wonder about the practicality. Do people actually stay at Tim's long enough to get an appreciable charge? I believe their stores even have signs about "loitering" for longer than 20 minutes.

I wrote Tim Hortons corporate head office suggesting that if the trial is a success, and they decide to deploy this elsewhere, that they consider a higher power charger of about 70 to 80 amps. explained how this is essential for the newer pure EV's ability to cross the country and visit all the tim's along the way. I don't expect a reply, but if I get one I'll post it here. Perhaps if other people expressed similar requests they would consider it?

I wrote Tim Hortons corporate head office suggesting that if the trial is a success, and they decide to deploy this elsewhere, that they consider a higher power charger of about 70 to 80 amps. explained how this is essential for the newer pure EV's ability to cross the country and visit all the tim's along the way. I don't expect a reply, but if I get one I'll post it here. Perhaps if other people expressed similar requests they would consider it?

Guys,

I have a friend at Tim Horton's corporate and I've already reached out to him about this and he's already talking to the team deploying the chargers. If you guys want to write any letters, you could PM me them and I'll make sure they get to Timmy's corporate too. :)

I say good on Tim Horton's for doing this... but wonder about the practicality. Do people actually stay at Tim's long enough to get an appreciable charge? I believe their stores even have signs about "loitering" for longer than 20 minutes.

It's sort of like the Walgreens drug stores here in Calif. Their parking lots sometimes have signs for 30 minute parking but the Chargepoint 30A chargers have a fee of $2 per hour with a $2 minimum. The times I have charged at Walgreens was not to shop there but to walk to nearby restaurants.

It's sort of like the Walgreens drug stores here in Calif. Their parking lots sometimes have signs for 30 minute parking but the Chargepoint 30A chargers have a fee of $2 per hour with a $2 minimum. The times I have charged at Walgreens was not to shop there but to walk to nearby restaurants.

I notice the Walgreens chargers when I visit my brother in LA. I didn't realize they were fee-based, but I remember thinking that I usually don't spend enough time at a drug store to make it worth my while (like the Tim Horton's coffee shops). Just like Walgreens, a lot of Tim Horton's have "No Loitering - 20 minute limit" signs in their stores which kind of contradicts the idea of EV charging. Having said that, I think Tim's is trying to get more in to the Starbuck's model with their free WiFi , new lattes and so forth.

I want to explore shopping malls and those "big box store" malls as opportunities for EVSE in my community. I think if a group of merchants got together on this infrastructure it would minimize costs to each but still attract EV drivers to the mall. And for the EV driver, you are likely to spend more time at these types of locations (movies, restaurants, visiting more than one store etc.) and thereby get a more appreciable charge. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable parking at a Tim's or a Walgreens and walking to some other merchant and so this "centralized" approach may have some merit.