Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time based control not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been in time based mode since app V4 came out a few weeks ago. Over the past couple days the house has been drawing power from the grid during the peak period. It’s drawing most of the power from the powerwalls, but some from the grid also.

The powerwalls were uninstalled last week for a few days while Tesla installed a concrete pad, as the original plastic pad was sinking into the ground. Prior to uninstalling them, the house drew power exclusively from the powerwalls (or solar) during the peak period ever since the V4 app update. However, the powerwalls were reinstalled yesterday, and yesterday and today during peak, the house pulled some power from the grid.

furthermore, prior to uninstallation, all solar produced during peak was being sent to grid (as it should to maximize credits) and the house was being powered exclusively by powerwalls, whereas now solar is going to power the house and only if there is excess is that being sent to the grid.

Any ideas why this change in behavior?

Reactions: mdri
I have been in time based mode since app V4 came out a few weeks ago. Over the past couple days the house has been drawing power from the grid during the peak period. It’s drawing most of the power from the powerwalls, but some from the grid also.

The powerwalls were uninstalled last week for a few days while Tesla installed a concrete pad, as the original plastic pad was sinking into the ground. Prior to uninstalling them, the house drew power exclusively from the powerwalls (or solar) during the peak period ever since the V4 app update. However, the powerwalls were reinstalled yesterday, and yesterday and today during peak, the house pulled some power from the grid.

furthermore, prior to uninstallation, all solar produced during peak was being sent to grid (as it should to maximize credits) and the house was being powered exclusively by powerwalls, whereas now solar is going to power the house and only if there is excess is that being sent to the grid.

Any ideas why this change in behavior?
The gateway, where the configuration settings are stored, is powered from the powerwalls. When the powerwalls were uninstalled, the gateway had no power, and may have lost your settings or defaulted to something other than what is shown in the app.

I would try using the app to change your settings so they are sent to the gateway again to make sure it has what you want. Switch from time based to self powered, and exit the settings. Then after a few minutes, go back to settings in the app and reselect time based and then exit settings. You may have to adjust your peak periods as well to force them to be send to the gateway again too.

Reactions: GJones
29407969-23B9-47D5-A7BA-E7348B606D36.jpeg

Current Transformers. Lots of issues reported on this forum where they were installed incorrectly. They allow the Gateway to measure where the current is going. There are people here with much more knowledge about this than I
Where are the current transformers? Below is a photo after they uninstalled, with disconnected wires. They then reinstalled in the exact same location. Could they have rewired incorrectly leading to the current behavior?

CB199009-4F9C-482A-BD31-ACE607212199.jpeg

Unlikely to be the CTs. They are not at the PW, but in the GW or generation panel. Besides, the usage graphs look normal for self-powered mode. It seems that the GW doesn't have your settings. Try calling Tesla and ask them to connect to it and see what the problem is.

Unlikely to be the CTs. They are not at the PW, but in the GW or generation panel. Besides, the usage graphs look normal for self-powered mode. It seems that the GW doesn't have your settings. Try calling Tesla and ask them to connect to it and see what the problem is.
if self powered, how do you explain the large grid draw before midnight followed by large PW draw

if self powered, how do you explain the large grid draw before midnight followed by large PW draw
See post #2.

Thanks. I did what you suggested and as soon as I switched back to time based (which was after peak ended), the powerwalls did stop discharging. However the house is now back to powering from a combination of the both the grid and the powerwalls…

Spoke with Tesla and they said everything he’s seeing on his end looks correct and that the system needs to be time based mode for a full 7 days before they can determine whether it’s functioning properly.

They also said that Tesla eliminated (unannounced of course) cost savings mode approx 2 weeks ago, which explains my powerwalls discharging outside the peak period. He said they will now discharge down to the reserve, so it sounds like the current time based control mode is now back to what the old advanced “balanced” mode was prior to the app V4 update.

He still did not provide any meaningful explanation for why my house drew from the grid and my solar didn’t all go back to the grid during peak the past couple days - he just kept repeating the mantra “the system needs to learn your site” and we can’t do anything until you’re in time based for 7 days

Reactions: mdri
Spoke with Tesla and they said everything he’s seeing on his end looks correct and that the system needs to be time based mode for a full 7 days before they can determine whether it’s functioning properly.

They also said that Tesla eliminated (unannounced of course) cost savings mode approx 2 weeks ago, which explains my powerwalls discharging outside the peak period. He said they will now discharge down to the reserve, so it sounds like the current time based control mode is now back to what the old advanced “balanced” mode was prior to the app V4 update.

He still did not provide any meaningful explanation for why my house drew from the grid and my solar didn’t all go back to the grid during peak the past couple days - he just kept repeating the mantra “the system needs to learn your site” and we can’t do anything until you’re in time based for 7 days
The new "Time-Based Control" is the same as the old Cost Saving. They eliminated Balanced mode

I still think there is something not right in your setup

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The new "Time-Based Control" is the same as the old Cost Saving. They eliminated Balanced mode

I still think there is something not right in your setup
Between the time of the app update 3 or 4 was ago up until my PWs were disconnected last week, I was on TBC and the PWs were only discharging during peak; once peak ended the PWs stopped discharging even if they were well above the reserve, and did not ever discharge outside peak. Since being reconnected on Monday, the PWs start discharging at the beginning of the peak period and have continued to discharge through the night as they never reached the reserve. This is similar to what I was seeing in balanced mode, which I used prior to the app update.

I agree something still seems off based on other strange behavior, but Tesla said they will not do anything until after 7 days on TBC. Will have to see what happens over the next week.

Reactions: EngineerType