Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time based control not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Between the time of the app update 3 or 4 was ago up until my PWs were disconnected last week, I was on TBC and the PWs were only discharging during peak; once peak ended the PWs stopped discharging even if they were well above the reserve, and did not ever discharge outside peak. Since being reconnected on Monday, the PWs start discharging at the beginning of the peak period and have continued to discharge through the night as they never reached the reserve. This is similar to what I was seeing in balanced mode, which I used prior to the app update.

I agree something still seems off based on other strange behavior, but Tesla said they will not do anything until after 7 days on TBC. Will have to see what happens over the next week.
PWs should not discharge over night unless on self powered. During my initial 7 day learning, I had some unexpected behavior during shoulder, but never during Off Peak

PWs should not discharge over night unless on self powered. During my initial 7 day learning, I had some unexpected behavior during shoulder, but never during Off Peak
In Balanced mode, PW may discharge overnight (off peak) if it thinks it won't go below the reserve by the next morning when the sun is up, and the solar is large enough to recharge it to full in normal case.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Maybe this was balanced mode before, but I wish I could mix TOU and self powered together. I want TOU at peak where it will export any solar available during peak hours but off peak I rather it power the home with solar and charge battery with whatever remaining. For winter I will probably only use TOU, but right now there is plenty of solar to cover my off-peak and charge up the batteries before peak starts.

Maybe this was balanced mode before, but I wish I could mix TOU and self powered together. I want TOU at peak where it will export any solar available during peak hours but off peak I rather it power the home with solar and charge battery with whatever remaining. For winter I will probably only use TOU, but right now there is plenty of solar to cover my off-peak and charge up the batteries before peak starts.
If you adjust the hours while using Balanced mode, you can effectively have a scheduled self-powered mode. We've used this method for the past 3 years and are self-powered 22+ hours a day while ensuring peak is always covered by our Powerwalls.

Screenshot_20210923-100455.jpg

Typically we have a car charge from the grid around 3:30 am but we didn't drive it on Sunday so it didn't need to charge on Monday. A second car started charging shortly before 6 am. Since the Powerwalls had enough reserve remaining, they were able to cover the entire charging session. We were 95% self-powered on Monday, September 20th.

Last edited:
Reactions: h2ofun
If you adjust the hours while using Balanced mode, you can effectively have a scheduled self-powered mode. We've used this method for the past 3 years and are self-powered 22+ hours a day while ensuring peak is always covered by our Powerwalls.

View attachment 713136
Typically we have a car charge from the grid around 3:30 am but we didn't drive it on Sunday so it didn't need to charge on Monday. A second car started charging shortly before 6 am. Since the Powerwalls had enough reserve remaining, they were able to cover the entire charging session. We were 95% self-powered on Monday, September 20th.
Unfortunately with the new app there isn't a balanced mode and not sure how long the older app will be supported for.

Now 5 days into my “learning period” and it still drew from the grid during peak, and continued discharging the powerwall after peak ended, yesterday. Also, the powerwall discharged for a brief moment today even though weekends are all off peak.
Will be interesting to see if functionality normalizes after the 7 days…

Attachments

• 772B45F0-D5BC-4498-AEEF-166BD6CDAF87.png
    772B45F0-D5BC-4498-AEEF-166BD6CDAF87.png
    197 KB · Views: 95
  • 2A928DF5-9539-4306-B3F2-3BDC4A2DBAE2.png
    2A928DF5-9539-4306-B3F2-3BDC4A2DBAE2.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 107
Spoke with Tesla today. My system is still behaving differently since reconnection compared to prior to disconnect:

- house draws from grid during peak; prior to disconnect house was powered exclusively by powerwall

- solar during peak is going to the house; prior to disconnect any solar during peak was being exported to grid and house was powered exclusively by powerwall

- powerwall is discharging at random times. About the only consistent behavior is that it does start discharging at the beginning of peak (5pm). However, some days it stops discharging at the end of peak (8pm) then starts discharging again a couple house later, sometimes it doesn’t start discharging again until 2 or 3 am and will discharge through the night; prior to disconnect, powerwall discharged only during peak and at no other times.

tier 1 had no explanation and said tier 2 will look into it 🤷‍♂️

Spoke with Tesla today. My system is still behaving differently since reconnection compared to prior to disconnect:

- house draws from grid during peak; prior to disconnect house was powered exclusively by powerwall

- solar during peak is going to the house; prior to disconnect any solar during peak was being exported to grid and house was powered exclusively by powerwall

- powerwall is discharging at random times. About the only consistent behavior is that it does start discharging at the beginning of peak (5pm). However, some days it stops discharging at the end of peak (8pm) then starts discharging again a couple house later, sometimes it doesn’t start discharging again until 2 or 3 am and will discharge through the night; prior to disconnect, powerwall discharged only during peak and at no other times.

tier 1 had no explanation and said tier 2 will look into it 🤷‍♂️
clearly not normal behavior and is not a "learning issue"

Now 5 days into my “learning period” and it still drew from the grid during peak, and continued discharging the powerwall after peak ended, yesterday. Also, the powerwall discharged for a brief moment today even though weekends are all off peak.
Will be interesting to see if functionality normalizes after the 7 days…
So my powerwalls started doing this on 11/1 where it just stopped discharging during peak or really at all. I have a question into support as to why this is happening. My conclusion, w/o talking to anyone, is that Nov 1 is a winter season and it's no longer worth it to discharge during peak times because of the large credits I've already earned with my utility. I now have a $940 credit and my annual true-up is coming up to January. The other conclusion is that I also messed around w/ the utility rate setting in the app. It was originally set to some Tesla default and I switched it to my actual utility rate, unfortunately the rate setting the app downloaded didn't have complete information, so it was missing ours between 2 sets of times and the rate associated with the TOU itself. I don't understand the buy/sell pricing feature which are associated with what seems like the weekday/weekend TOUs but why call it buy/sell? I've not been able to find out any information on this on Tesla's website.

I just changed November into the Summer season and the battery started to discharge, but when I put it back to Winter season, where the rate is ~50% lower during Peak, the battery just stopped discharging and I'm running on grid power. Haven't gotten confirmation from Tesla, but I was able to play around w/ it today. Hope that helps a little.

Spoke with Tesla and they said everything he’s seeing on his end looks correct and that the system needs to be time based mode for a full 7 days before they can determine whether it’s functioning properly.

They also said that Tesla eliminated (unannounced of course) cost savings mode approx 2 weeks ago, which explains my powerwalls discharging outside the peak period. He said they will now discharge down to the reserve, so it sounds like the current time based control mode is now back to what the old advanced “balanced” mode was prior to the app V4 update.

He still did not provide any meaningful explanation for why my house drew from the grid and my solar didn’t all go back to the grid during peak the past couple days - he just kept repeating the mantra “the system needs to learn your site” and we can’t do anything until you’re in time based for 7 days
Thanks you for this discussion. I've experienced the same problem, but it only started a couple days ago, the first time I touched any settings related to time based control after starting to use v4.x app versions a couple months ago. For the three years I've owned this system, it would only discharge during peak when set to time based control according to times I set. No need for it to learn anything, I told it what to do and was responsible for the resulting behavior. Now, I can't get it to discharge during peak. I have to wait 7 days now for it to behave in a way I already know it should behave? Will Tesla reimburse me for the peak periods it won't discharge until it supposedly figures it out? If this is by design, it's continually frustrating that Tesla doesn't share any of the logic, apparently not even with their support staff. I'd rather have full control like I enjoyed in earlier versions.

Having issues also with my powerwall. Not discharging during peak hours since I adjusted the custom rate with sdge on the tesla app. I have to manually do self powered on peak or off-grid on peak just for the power wall to discharge. Also at time my powerwall would not charge back up during the day when the sun is out. I have to play with the reserve slider to make it charge back up to 100%.

Having issues also with my powerwall. Not discharging during peak hours since I adjusted the custom rate with sdge on the tesla app. I have to manually do self powered on peak or off-grid on peak just for the power wall to discharge. Also at time my powerwall would not charge back up during the day when the sun is out. I have to play with the reserve slider to make it charge back up to 100%.
What are your settings for the utility rates?