Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time-based control working well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSE51

Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2012
Park City, Utah
69059BFD-F486-4A84-9695-040FA6E0969F.jpeg
6C74BF4E-882D-40DD-81BE-06CBF2143F14.jpeg
6C74BF4E-882D-40DD-81BE-06CBF2143F14.jpeg
4BFF614E-FF04-4494-8839-9BB85DB32780.jpeg
My peak cost time in Los Angeles is 1-5 pm and if you inspect the attached screenshots you can see how Tesla’s software has managed the past week very well.

I need a 60% reserve for power outages (not rare in my neighborhood) and the 40% available plus solar has covered all my peak time usage and a over half of partial peak.

My roof orientation is not ideal and we have many south and west facing windows so given a lot of air conditioning lat week, and limited space for panels, I’m happy with the outcome.

View attachment 432392 View attachment 432393 View attachment 432393 View attachment 432394 My peak cost time in Los Angeles is 1-5 pm and if you inspect the attached screenshots you can see how Tesla’s software has managed the past week very well.

I need a 60% reserve for power outages (not rare in my neighborhood) and the 40% available plus solar has covered all my peak time usage and a over half of partial peak.

My roof orientation is not ideal and we have many south and west facing windows so given a lot of air conditioning lat week, and limited space for panels, I’m happy with the outcome.
What’s your peak settings look like? Cost based? Any shoulders?

>What’s your peak settings look like? Cost based? Any shoulders?

My settings are: Cost-based, 60% reserve, Peak 1-5 pm, Off Peak 8 pm - 10 am and all 24 hours of Saturday and Sunday; Shoulder (i.e. Partial Peak) 10am - 1 pm, and 5 pm to 8 pm. Tesla's software takes everything into account.

On weekends, it lets the solar output charge the PW's up to 100% and doesn't start discharging until 1:01 pm Monday, then it directs all solar to my home first then grid if extra (usually no extra), and at that same time it discharges the PW's to the grid until the PW's hits 60%. After that, all solar used for the house until the next morning when all solar is directed to bring PW's from 60% to 100% during the time when electricity cost is the lowest.

The software (v 1.37.1) seems to be doing exactly what I would do if it were all manually controlled.

Last edited:
>What’s your peak settings look like? Cost based? Any shoulders?

My settings are: Cost-based, 60% reserve, Peak 1-5 pm, Off Peak 8 pm - 10 am and all 24 hours of Saturday and Sunday; Shoulder (i.e. Partial Peak) 10am - 1 pm, and 5 pm to 8 pm. Tesla's software takes everything into account.

On weekends, it lets the solar output charge the PW's up to 100% and doesn't start discharging until 1:01 pm Monday, then it directs all solar to my home first then grid if extra (usually no extra), and at that same time it discharges the PW's to the grid until the PW's hits 60%. After that, all solar used for the house until the next morning when all solar is directed to bring PW's from 60% to 100% during the time when electricity cost is the lowest.

The software (v 1.37.1) seems to be doing exactly what I would do if it were all manually controlled.
So should I do shoulders or peak/no peak settings? I have a peak schedule of 2-8pm M-F and everything else is off peak. Ideally I want the PW/solar to cover all of my usage from 2-8pm If possible and also keep the demand peak low.