Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time-Based Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look forward to seeing the alpha version and all the ones to follow.

big test is tonight - A/C running because we've had a hot day in melb, so depleting the PW, and low solar forecast for tomorrow (25% of normal), so should see charging overnight from just past midnight to just before 7am

If it works, I'll DM you on whirlpool to arrange getting you something to test if you're interested

See https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2684893&p=23#r442 for information on a alpha release of a service allowing you to pre-charge off the grid if solar will be not enough to charge to see you through the day.

This is designed for those who can charge off the grid (sorry to everyone in the US who is on a scheme where you can't) and have a peak / off-peak tariff, have PV and a PW2, and want to avoid drawing from the grid during peak.

Let me know if you're interested, after you've read https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2684893&p=23#r442 so I know you know it's rough and ready.

There is a new iPhone App version 3.3.4 as of today that has in the Custom pane an Advanced - Time based control option. Be wary of this version because I cannot get a connection to my Powerwalls with it, although it does connect to my car.

For what it's worth, I think the issue is probably specific to your setup or related to turning on the Time-based control option. I have 3.3.4 and I have neither the time-based settings nor any problem connecting to my Powerwalls. I suspect that Tesla just coincidentally turned on time-based control for you at the same time as you upgraded to 3.3.4.

For what it's worth, I think the issue is probably specific to your setup or related to turning on the Time-based control option. I have 3.3.4 and I have neither the time-based settings nor any problem connecting to my Powerwalls. I suspect that Tesla just coincidentally turned on time-based control for you at the same time as you upgraded to 3.3.4.
Agree. I have had 3.3.4 for nearly a day on my iPhone and see no difference in features or connectivity from 3.3.3.

I got the 1.5.1 Firmware yesterday, and this morning I have TOU control!

Maybe 1.5.1 fixed the issue they were reportedly having and they will roll TOU out to more people now.
I have 1.5.1 but no TOU control. Maybe they are rolling out slowly....out of curiosity a) are you on IOS and b) have you already completed your interconnect with your utility?

I am still waiting for final interconnect (even though I have solar interconnect already)....

I have 1.5.1 but no TOU control. Maybe they are rolling out slowly....out of curiosity a) are you on IOS and b) have you already completed your interconnect with your utility?

I am still waiting for final interconnect (even though I have solar interconnect already)....
I believe the interconnect is complete. We did not have to pay the installer until it was (and I think they needed it complete to submit the final SGIP paperwork)

I'm on iOS 11.3, app version m 3.3.4. The Powerwall gateway is on WiFi. TOU controls did not show up when 1.15.1 did, but it did the next day.

It could be a coincidence, but there were reports of a bug in 1.15 that they were trying to fix before rolling out TOU to more people, so 1.15.1 could mean they are ready to roll it out a little faster now.

I got 1.15.1 yesterday and Time Based Control this morning. So far, the behavior looks odd, but I'm going to leave it alone for a while to see what it does. It stopped charging from solar at 9:30 when the Advanced setting (Cost Saving mode) took effect, but then did charge a little bit more while still exporting, for no apparent reason. Now it's at 81% and exporting surplus solar during the Part-Peak time period. The good thing is that the PG&E EV Schedule time periods were already entered in the Price Schedule. It's probably not a coincidence that they waited to activate Time Based Control until after PG&E caught up to DST on April 1.

I got 1.15.1 yesterday and Time Based Control this morning. So far, the behavior looks odd, but I'm going to leave it alone for a while to see what it does. It stopped charging from solar at 9:30 when the Advanced setting (Cost Saving mode) took effect, but then did charge a little bit more while still exporting, for no apparent reason. Now it's at 81% and exporting surplus solar during the Part-Peak time period. The good thing is that the PG&E EV Schedule time periods were already entered in the Price Schedule. It's probably not a coincidence that they waited to activate Time Based Control until after PG&E caught up to DST on April 1.
Have you completed your interconnect?

The screen pretty much look like the screen shot on the Tesla TOU Info Page (Time-Based Control | Tesla)

IMG_5299.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
i am still on 1.15.0 and have had TBC since Saturday i think. NorthCal, no solar.

Since enabled, it worked fine (even when it has connectivity issues due to my AP failing).
Aside from the obvious app changes i observed :
* much higher/faster charging rates from grid (used to be 3.3kw for 2 pw, now 7kw most of the time but sometimes 10kw as well)
* the wizard does not have self-consumption/backup selection anymore. instead it has "autonomous" mode only and no other choices avialable. Even though i know for sure 0.15.0 had these before. seems like a switch that has locked firmware to these choices without upgrading firmware. Interesting.
* it does not have to be online and connected to Tesla services to do the switches, i guess that's why it is called "autonomous". I guess that's also why it took longer -- apparently this is quite a rewrite in the firmware as well as services. There obviously some stat models predicting the use to figure whether to charge or standby in the shoulder (partial peak) to make sure the peak is always covered by the use shift.

All in all seems nice. I have but one complaint -- the app might include a button to switch discharge/charge/standby modes immediately, overriding the default decision. I have my own itility for that for now though. This may be needed when i charge-up my cars during the day or AC, in which cases sucking it up from the battery (during partial peak) will deplete its capacity enough to jeopardize total peak coverage. I may simply know expected day use much better then their algorithm forecast.

PPS make sure to enable DNS bypass in the router. The firmware also seems to be ignoring dhcp DNS hand-out, and as a result, the "tesla connected" status will show false. My router was dropping outbound DNS requests (as a security setting) that bypass its own service and that does not work, at least with 1.15.x maybe others too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Shygar