TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Time-Based Control?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by powersaver, Feb 27, 2018.

1. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Member

I've seen an interesting change in behaviour that I hope persists...

As a reminder, I'm on Tesla T.B.C - Cost Saving and have a ToU tariff with a Shoulder period that is only marginally higher than my off-peak. My off-peak is 10pm-7am.

What I had previously been observing is that as soon as I got to 10pm (start of off-peak) my battery would immediately start charging from grid, and charge to some arbitrary amount based on, I assume, what it felt I needed to sustain through the following day's Peak period and allowing for Solar top-up. What I found odd was that it would stop charging from the grid and start discharging in the early hours of the morning, still in the Off-peak period (see first 3 red circled peaks - discharge starts between 3-6am).

Last night, it actually maintained full charge all the way up to 7am when my off-peak ends and shoulder period starts (right-most circled peak). This is the behaviour I would prefer (i.e. don't discharge during off-peak!). To be honest, I'd also prefer it to not discharge during Shoulder, but one step at a time.. :)

ApplicationFrameHost_2018-04-28_12-25-19.jpg

Note: ignore 26th and 27th April - that was when I was messing around with removing my Shoulder period from the T.B.C. config to try and force a more desired behaviour.. and failed :)

• Like x 1
  2. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Great thread, have had my PW2 in the UK since August 2017, received TBC ~4 weeks back, yesterday had my dual rate meter fitted (EoN Economy 7) set the app to 'Cost saving', but the PW2 did not charge during my off peak period of 01:30 - 08:30....? have raised a ticket with the Tesla support, hoping the forum team can help me quicker... PW2 on 1.15.1 Android app 3.3.5, thanks Neil

3. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Member

Odd that there is now 3 different firmware versions in play; 1.15.1, 1.15.3, and 1.15.5, and it doesn't seem to relate to time-based control given there are people on 1.15.1 with T.B.C. and 1.15.5 without T.B.C.

4. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Member

5. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

UK site
    Tesla Powerwall
    Supported Applications
    Solar self-consumption
    Time-Based control
    Backup and off grid require additional hardware that is not currently available in the United Kingdom.

email received - 27/03/2018 7:25 AM
    Your Powerwall recently received a software update, including a new feature called Time‑Based Control. This feature maximises the value of your solar system by monitoring how your home consumes energy. As a result, you can avoid paying variable prices for electricity during the day.

You can access this feature in the Tesla app. Just select “Customise” then “Advanced – Time‑Based Control”. Note: Your app will need to be updated with the latest software for this feature to function correctly.

Visit our configuration guide to learn how you can choose your energy settings and edit your price schedule. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at +44 8000988064.

6. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

7. dotbombjoe

dotbombjoe Member

I've been waiting a long time to see this...beautiful!

I just noticed the new TBC settings and other than not being able to set the shoulder out to midnight, it seems great...hopefully it works, but that pic is a good start.

• Like x 1
  8. AnthonyB

AnthonyB Member

Right. So the UK site still reflects the same Modes of Operation with Solar table as what the AUS site used to. it will be interesting to see if this also changes.

9. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I can't make heads or tails of those graphs. I looked at them for 10 minutes and couldn't understand them. I'm so used to looking at my own graphs ( Ulmo.Solar ), that looking at someone else's format can be extremely difficult.

10. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Most of solar is available during Part-Peak, not in Peak nor in Off Peak, in your and my rate plan (the same).

11. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

I think the assumptions in every post of this thread need to be stated. The variables that can literally change everything:
    • How much solar array (note that not every solar array behaves the same; tracked vs not tracked, which way it's pointed, type of cell, etc.).
    • How much insolation that day (includes clouds, angle of sun, shade)
    • Time of use periods (all of them), and the prices
    • How much battery
    • How much use
    • Regulatory and benefit program restrictions (such as SGIP, etc.)
    • How much home use and when
    My answers are for a solar system (5.8kWp) insufficient for all household needs except about a third of the year, and two PW2 batteries also insufficient for much of the year, EV-A tarrif with weekday 11pm-7am off peak, 7am-2pm partial peak, then 2pm-7pm peak, then partial peak at 7pm-11pm. Peak is about 50c/kWh, partial is about 35c/kWh, and off peak is about 15c/kWh. Weekends there's no partial peak, with peak at 3pm-7pm, at around 40c/kWh, and off peak around 15c/kWh.

We have shading most of the year that stops most solar input in the afternoon after around 5PM. Here's a rare sunny day that shows the maximum pattern:

http://ulmo.solar/powerflow/2018/04/17.png

Most of our solar comes in before that. Around half my solar comes in before peak rate starts. None of it comes in during off peak, except for weekends, when most of it comes in in off peak.

Clouds are common.

http://ulmo.solar/powerflow/2018/04/18.png
    http://ulmo.solar/powerflow/2018/04/24.png

12. Shygar

Shygar Member

When you say insufficient except for about 1/3 of the year, how are you measuring whether it's sufficient or not? Generally speaking, your solar production should be looked at over a 12 month period to see whether it's sufficient or not. Unless you are looking at your solar on a daily basis. If you build it to cover your costs in January, you will be making way more than you will ever use in July (again, generally speaking). That's the problem with trying to cover your usage on a daily basis, vs over a 12 month period.

13. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

It just started working....

Attached Files:

14. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Maybe I posted too soon, yes the PW charged in the off peak, but it's not charging from exesse solar, its now exporting? (~40% left to charge) and it not discharging from the battery.....

Attached Files:

15. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Well, today my system went totally off the wall. It charged the battery from off peak up to 100% presumably because yesterday was a cloudy day, and today failed to discharge at all!! No peak discharge, nada!!
    This after randomly starting to discharge between 4.30 and 7am which has been my issue, same as Anthony B. I have changed nothing. So, what the heck?

16. RTB01

RTB01 Member

17. RTB01

RTB01 Member

Got the same problem here. Battery charged to 100% overnight then not using it during the day when on peak rate. Also the Tesla app is indicating that all of the solar generated is going straight to the grid whilst the home is drawing from the grid :(
    Spoke with Tesla and they said they have had many call from owners in the UK with the same problem- apparently they will get back to us either tomorrow or the day after.
    Here’s hoping!

18. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Yes same response from the support team, told to revert to consume mode then change back after 12hrs

19. Tim_btt

Tim_btt Member

I've also got the same problem here in the UK. Charged to 100% overnight and now all the sunshine is being exported. Nothing I do makes the powerwall start providing power to the house.

20. Neil_dsb

Neil_dsb Member

Hi Tim, changing to 'Self-powered' mode works for me....back to normal solar charge and discharge...will try/revert 'advanced TBC' around 10pm BST